Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ODB II code reader / reset tool

It looks like I'm going to be operating my 2000 Cab with 2 failed cats for a while. The only real downside for me is that this will bring on repeating CELs that I will have to have my indy mechanic regularly clear for me. It occurs that it would save me considerable time / trouble to purchase a basic OBD reader that will allow me to check, then cancel CEL on my own. If anyone has recommendations for such a tool, I would appreciate any advice available.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Kim said:

It looks like I'm going to be operating my 2000 Cab with 2 failed cats for a while. The only real downside for me is that this will bring on repeating CELs that I will have to have my indy mechanic regularly clear for me. It occurs that it would save me considerable time / trouble to purchase a basic OBD reader that will allow me to check, then cancel CEL on my own. If anyone has recommendations for such a tool, I would appreciate any advice available.

Almost any global OBD II scanner can do this, but the CEL will pretty quickly return as the problem is still there, and no sophisticated or even Porsche specific tool can turn it off permanently.  Kind of a futile move. 

I have an OBD II reader from Auto Zone for $100 that will cancel a water temp gauge failure, but will not cancel/erace an airbag code.  My water temp gauge failure is due to the Porsche computer doesn't recognize my LS3 motor.

I also have the Durametric program which does it all.  More expensive and you need a PC laptop.  I bought an 11" Lenovo laptop for $119 from Best Buys that will run the Durametric program.  If you plan on keeping the Porsche as I assume you do, then I would consider purchasing the Durametric program.

The point is if you go with a cheapie OBD reader you need to be sure what it will and will not do...  Are there any considerations as to running the car without functioning CATS?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

Almost any global OBD II scanner can do this, but the CEL will pretty quickly return as the problem is still there, and no sophisticated or even Porsche specific tool can turn it off permanently.  Kind of a futile move. 

Its a futile move that will save me a $4500 expenditure on a car that's only worth about twice that ... while I think about what I want to do in the long run.

12 hours ago, creekman said:

I have an OBD II reader from Auto Zone for $100 that will cancel a water temp gauge failure, but will not cancel/erace an airbag code.  My water temp gauge failure is due to the Porsche computer doesn't recognize my LS3 motor.

I also have the Durametric program which does it all.  More expensive and you need a PC laptop.  I bought an 11" Lenovo laptop for $119 from Best Buys that will run the Durametric program.  If you plan on keeping the Porsche as I assume you do, then I would consider purchasing the Durametric program.

The point is if you go with a cheapie OBD reader you need to be sure what it will and will not do...  Are there any considerations as to running the car without functioning CATS?

I've been told by multiple sources that there are no problems running without functioning cats ... other than the CEL coming on occasionally.

Almost every auto parts store has an OBDII reader handy and will read your codes and reset the CEL for free.  What makes you think your cats are bad? What error codes are you getting?  Could it be a bad O2 sensor instead?  Suggestion - get the codes and post them up.  If the CEL is bothersome, a $50 OBDII reader from AutoZone will clear the codes and reset the CEL.  I have one and clear the codes for my SAI (secondary air injection) on occasion because I'm frankly too lazy to go in there and replace all that stuff.  I'll do it the next time I'm in for a starter replacement or AOS job, which hopefully will be a long time since I've already done that a few years back.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Kim said:

Its a futile move that will save me a $4500 expenditure on a car that's only worth about twice that ... while I think about what I want to do in the long run.

Then consider getting some used cats from a bone yard.  We have several customers that purchased both cats used this way for less then one new one, and several years on are running just fine.

9 hours ago, DBJoe996 said:

Almost every auto parts store has an OBDII reader handy and will read your codes and reset the CEL for free.  What makes you think your cats are bad? What error codes are you getting?  Could it be a bad O2 sensor instead?  Suggestion - get the codes and post them up.  If the CEL is bothersome, a $50 OBDII reader from AutoZone will clear the codes and reset the CEL.  I have one and clear the codes for my SAI (secondary air injection) on occasion because I'm frankly too lazy to go in there and replace all that stuff.  I'll do it the next time I'm in for a starter replacement or AOS job, which hopefully will be a long time since I've already done that a few years back.

An indy shop, Gold Crest Motors in Kennesaw, GA has worked a  good deal on my car. I have never had reason to doubt their work or recommendations. They told me, "both cats have failed". I did not ask for the codes as proof. Less than 6 months ago, both O2 sensors on the left side had been replaced. By the way, my local Auto Zone will certainly read the codes for free ... but claim that it is against company policy to reset the CEL if they've done nothing but read the code..

9 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

Then consider getting some used cats from a bone yard.  We have several customers that purchased both cats used this way for less then one new one, and several years on are running just fine.

Of course, that is one of the longer term fixes I am looking at. Just haven't found any available so far. In 2017, used cats off of a 2000 or 2001 car will likely be high mileage. (that is the year model that had my particular part numbers installed) I have found a couple of dealers who will knock down the approx $2300 per new cat price to $1600 or so. Unfortunately, none of them is in the Atlanta area, so I could run up some significant shipping costs with the cats coming to me, then the cores going back the other way.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do not need to Pass a Smog Test ,just use extenders on the 2 new rear O2 sensors ? Just be careful you get the correct design to fit the limited space. Of course this would be  illegal in many States but not yours ? It would fool the rear o2 sensors into not throwing a code even if you gutted the cats

I say "gutted" because old cat bricks get loose and may restrict the exhaust flow.

I am not recommending this just offering a theoretical

Edited by Schnell Gelb