Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

pcm, no sound, navigation not available, telephone not available, maps not available, cd changer not available

• Admin

The car needs to scanned with a Porsche diagnostic tool - PIWIS (or PIWIS 2).

In some case the fiber optic link has been broken or options changed and a re-configuration is in order.

In other cases you may actually have a bad connection or component -- PIWIS will tell the operator where the problem is.

• Upvote 1

Have you by any chance tried to update the software?

Tried all that,, had PIWIS plugged in and no faults other than PCM-MMI has lost an earth .. il try a second hand amp and hope for the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, but I ask as if you update files in the wrong order and have an early amp then you are in for a world of pain! However if you say that is not the case, then it implies a break in the MOST loop?

• Upvote 1

OK, but I ask as if you update files in the wrong order and have an early amp then you are in for a world of pain! However if you say that is not the case, then it implies a break in the MOST loop?

PCT in Coventry did the plug in

I would suggest getting a MOST loop and putting it in place of each unit (phone, CDC, amp) one at a time to see if one is faulty. For example, the CDC has an internal fuse, and if it blows it breaks the MOST circuit. You can get them on eBay for a few pounds. Search Porsche MOST loop.

• Upvote 1

I have thought of that there £15 off eBay ,, do you know what should happen if I plug it into the amp optic?? Should every thing still work or does every thing go down any way

If you put the loop in place of the amp (assuming it is faulty), all the messages should go, except for "no sound".  The other systems should start working, albeit you will only have control, but no sound.  At least it would prove a point, without spending £200 on a used amp and finding nothing is wrong.

Here is a cheaper one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282264819294

You can get them even cheaper if you buy from a Chinese seller (and wait).  You need the female version.

Edited by Richard Hamilton
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:
If you put the loop in place of the amp (assuming it is faulty), all the messages should go, except for "no sound".  The other systems should start working, albeit you will only have control, but no sound.  At least it would prove a point, without spending £200 on a used amp and finding nothing is wrong.

It can take forever from China so ordered a uk 1.also got a tried and tested amp for £90 should b here Monday/Tuesday,, fingers crossed ,, thanks for your advice

I would suggest getting a MOST loop and putting it in place of each unit (phone, CDC, amp) one at a time to see if one is faulty. For example, the CDC has an internal fuse, and if it blows it breaks the MOST circuit. You can get them on eBay for a few pounds. Search Porsche MOST loop.

The multi changer ejects and loads the magazine so I'm presuming the fuse can't be blown ??

You did well buying an amp for £90.  Make a note of the part number, and be careful if you ever update the PCM software (firmware).  Early amps can be bricked if you try to update them.  There are ways round it though, using a special update disk.

It's exactly the same part number as mine so gotta b the 1,, what do you mean by bricked ??

To use the latest map disk in a 2005 997, you have to update the operating system software. The updates contain an update to the amplifier software, and the early Bose amps aren't compatible. When you run the update on such amps, it turns them into a brick. (Only of use for building a wall.) The part numbers of the two amplifiers affected are 997.645.333.04 and 997.645.333.05.  Amplifier number 997.645.333.06 can be updated, but according to one TSB I have, it has to be updated using a PIWIS tester.  Just something you should be aware of.

Yes, if it ejects the CD magazine, the fuse is good.

Edited by Richard Hamilton
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:
Yours is the fourth version of the amp, so no problem updating the system at all.

1st bit of good news iv had lol amp might be here tomorrow.. il let you know how I get on.. thanks for your advice Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st bit of good news iv had lol amp might be here tomorrow.. il let you know how I get on.. thanks for your advice Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well plugged the 2nd hand amp in and still exactly the same ,, tried 148 and still the same,,, optic loop should come tomorrow so il try linking that to the individual units and see what happens then,, if no good I'm stumped !!

Well plugged the 2nd hand amp in and still exactly the same ,, tried 148 and still the same,,, optic loop should come tomorrow so il try linking that to the individual units and see what happens then,, if no good I'm stumped !!

Optic loop fitted to phone module, CDC ,nav unit and amp and still exactly the same state of play ,, god knows

52 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Did PCT check the PCM coding?  It would be worth getting them to check that the "Required" and "Actual" coding values are the same.  And, as has been said before, check that all the installed units are coded in the Gateway module.

Were do I get the codes from ??
I don't know if they did or didn't check that,, but I mentioned in a earlier thread the piwis did and individual wire check and it came up with a wire in the MMI had lost its ground. Also iv found 1 of the terminal pins on the telephone module had corroded its self of the module, so it's quite apparent that's not going to work which doesn't bother me that much, but I guess this could be the wire that's lost its ground ??

Coding is where settings are made in the control units to tell the car which options are installed. Very occasionally, perhaps after a battery disconnect/change, a unit can lose its settings.  The screenshot below is from the Gateway coding page for a car with PCM3, but the principle is the same for PCM2.1.

Another thing they could try is running the Handover Routine with the PIWIS tester.  If any units have slipped into transit mode (again, after a flat battery, etc.) it will wake them up.

However, if you have a wiring issue, it would be better to sort that out first.  Putting the optic loop in place of the phone module would have eliminated that unit from the MOST loop, so I suspect your issue is elsewhere.  Either more than one external unit is at fault, or maybe the suspect earth is on the main PCM unit?  It is unusual to get corroded connectors on these units, but being a cabriolet, I wonder if it has had a leak at some time and the phone module has got wet.

Gateway PCM Coding.jpg

• Upvote 1

Coding is where settings are made in the control units to tell the car which options are installed. Very occasionally, perhaps after a battery disconnect/change, a unit can lose its settings.  The screenshot below is from the Gateway coding page for a car with PCM3, but the principle is the same for PCM2.1.

Another thing they could try is running the Handover Routine with the PIWIS tester.  If any units have slipped into transit mode (again, after a flat battery, etc.) it will wake them up.

However, if you have a wiring issue, it would be better to sort that out first.  Putting the optic loop in place of the phone module would have eliminated that unit from the MOST loop, so I suspect your issue is elsewhere.  Either more than one external unit is at fault, or maybe the suspect earth is on the main PCM unit?  It is unusual to get corroded connectors on these units, but being a cabriolet, I wonder if it has had a leak at some time and the phone module has got wet.

I lost heated seats n head light wash and I knew that it needed a hand over for that so I asked them to do it,, now they both work . Didn't realise the PCM fell into that scenario as well,, I would assume that PCT would have looked at that for the PCM ,, but may be not so when I get chance il pop over and ask them if they can plug in and check,, failing that I think il send the head unit off and get it checked "good idea ??" May get a dynavin N7 PS but I do want to keep the car 100% factory really
Can't thank you enough for your knowledge and advice Richard [emoji106]