Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Lock barrel electrical connection

Hi,

I am "trying" to replace my complete ignition lock assembly. So far it was not a problem and after disassembling the left vent and the instrument cluster I could mechanically disassemble the ignition/steering lock! Electrically I have disconnected the ignition switch and the harness from the immobilizer! 

However, I can not disconnect the plug with 2 wires from the lock barrel (lock barrel is still in the steering lock unit). Is there any trick for that?

Thanks, Thormann

IMG_4468.jpg

Edited by thormann

Meanwhile I could disconnect the plug. I used a flat screwdriver and pushed on the clamp of the plug through the hole in the housing (photo above)

Now I need to seperate the keylock from the steering wheel lock! While ignition on 1, the small hole is close to the 1 o´clock position (photos). I used a 

1,3mm electro wire and could put that in the hole about 1/2", however it did not unlock anything! The diameter of the wire should be within the range (1,3-1,5mm) of 

the manual!

In dmcole´s DIY tutorial I read that the "beauty ring" shall be rotated 180°, so that the small hole is in the 7 o´clock position! However, I can not even rotate the beauty ring without the rest. Is there any trick?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks, Thormann

IMG_4470.jpg

IMG_4471.jpg

Edited by thormann

Pelican article on steering lock removal.  One comment (bottom of article) says to take a pick and try to rotate the sliver part 180 degrees to the correct position.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/86-ELEC-Replacing_Your_Ignition_Switch_Steering_Lock/86-ELEC-Replacing_Your_Ignition_Switch_Steering_Lock.htm

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I have read about the 180° thing! However, this doesn´t work for me! I tried a pick in the small hole and even a big screwdriver in the big hole with a little more power! This ring doesn´t 

turn!

Further the manual shows exactly "my" position. In this position I can put the wire about 1" into the lock´s hole! However, nothing happens! How far do I need to put it in?

Has one photos of this mechanism, I have to release! So far it is hard to imagine for me, how this shall get off

Thanks again!!

I know it might be of no help, but I took a picture of my lock barrel and the orientation of the small hole.  Mine is a 99 C2.  The second picture is from the Pelican Parts Tech article on how to remove the ignition lock.

lock barrel.JPG

PP Lock Barrel.jpg

It is strange that the orientation looks the same installed, but when they flip it over it has the same orientation as your picture in relation to the plastic tab.  I also see they used a large paper clip which shows it cannot be that deep in order to push on the pin for release.  So maybe get some WD-40 in there and see if the lock barrel is just stuck.

Edited by DBJoe996