Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Solved !!A/C issue: works when ignition is On but not when running

Car 2003 996 C4S.

Problem:

Today, during a short drive my A/C stopped working.  When the engine is running there is no air coming through as if the fans are not working. However, when the ignition is turned on without starting the cars then cold air comes through.

What could be the problem?

Edited by chamilka

Thanks

Both left and right radiator fans do not come on when the engine is running while the A/C is on (full). 

I checked the two fuses C8 & C10 and they both are good.

the relays typical don't go bad right?

I can try to jump relays an see if that do anything but I tend to think the cooling fans are shot?

Update:

1. Fuse - OK

2. Jumped all four Relays - Left & Right cooling Fans came up for both stage 1 and 2 - This confirms that the Fans (motors) themselves are good right?

So I assume either relays or the Resistors bad? 

Is there a way to test the resistor? or does my step #2 confirms the resistors are the problem?

Thanks

Hi Chamilka! Do you have a Durametric? Would be a lot easier to diagnose if you have one.

Your problem sounds very strange. when you said no air coming through, did you really mean the a/c blower under the dash is not running?

With engine ON, can you turn on the a/c blower fan with the a/c OFF? Do you have air coming through that way?

I was able to activate both fans to run in stage 1 and 2 using both durametric and by jumping the relays. this confirms the fans are working.

I also bough new et of relays and swap them but no results, which confirms the relays not the issues.

The problem is that the two Radiator Cooling fans do not come on, these fans supposed to come on when either A/C is on (full) or when the temp is high. When I start the engine and turn the A/C to max none of the fans start.

In addition to that the A/C also does not blow air, I confirmed that that the  A/C Blower motor (under the dash) is not the issue. While ignition is on without turning the engine A/C bower motors comes on  blows air.

Edited by chamilka

perhaps something in defective in the dash heater-a/c control, or something is shorting out or overloading when engine is started.

I think the a/c head is a drop in unit.  probably fairly expensive.

Never heard of this issue happening before.  continued good luck hunting for an answer.

Edited by judgejon

15 minutes ago, chamilka said:

I was able to activate both fans to run in stage 1 and 2 using both durametric and by jumping the relays. this confirms the fans are working.

I also bough new et of relays and swap them but no results, which confirms the relays not the issues.

The problem is that the two Radiator Cooling fans do not come on, these fans supposed to come on when either A/C is on (full) or when the temp is high. When I start the engine and turn the A/C to max none of the fans start.

In addition to that the A/C also does not blow air, I confirmed that that the  A/C Blower motor (under the dash) is not the issue. While ignition is on without turning the engine A/C bower motors comes on  blows air.

Indeed very weird. Did you scan the climate control module using Durametric? Any error codes?

Can you also check if the compressor engages at all?

I think Judgejon maybe onto something with the control unit being faulty. I wonder if it's as simple as a sensor issue e.g., a faulty sensor things the temp is way low so that prevents the a/c from operation all together.

1 hour ago, Ahsai said:

BTW, I agree the problem is not in the cooling fans, resistors, and relays because of the Durametric test results.

crap!!

I will have to return the Resistors then, in wane I removed the fan!! that was a pain. let me run some more diagnostics and post results.

With key ON engine off, use Duratmetric Activation under a/c or dme (I forgot) to activate the compressor clutch, air blower fan, and servo motors on the air blower box.

With key OFF, remove both fuses E5 and A7 and leave them uninstalled. Check them and then reinstall them. See if that makes a difference.

Edited by Ahsai

Under A/C Activation, there are six options and two of which include:

• A/C request signal and

• Fresh air Fan

When activating A/C request signal the Snow flake symbol appears on the climate control display.

Activating Fresh Air fan will blow air, since the A/C was on air was cold.

Capture.GIF

Edited by chamilka

you might check out the cost of a new control panel unit.  

I know from numerous forum topics that the each dash unit can be taken out and dash positions rearranged.

So maybe there is a way to test your control, and if faulty maybe swap it out for a replacement.

Or, if everything else fails, change it just to see if a new one might solve the problem.

good luck with all this...  the answer will be no doubt be interesting.

$850 for the remanufactured unit at Suncost . :) 

thats bunch of cash !! 

Do these units tend to fail - not sending signal to blower and compressor? 

If the freon is low could that shut the Ac compressor from coming on? 

By the way the radiator fans came on after a long drive so at least that's good news :) 

9 minutes ago, chamilka said:

$850 for the remanufactured unit at Suncost . :) 

thats bunch of cash !! 

Do these units tend to fail - not sending signal to blower and compressor? 

If the freon is low could that shut the Ac compressor from coming on? 

By the way the radiator fans came on after a long drive so at least that's good news :) 

Hence my comment on modulemaster.com but you need to make sure that's your problem first.

If the refrigerant is low, the a/c compressor will NOT come on. There's a pressure switch to detect that. You can hook up an a/c pressure gauge on the low pressure side to check for pressure.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:19 PM, Ahsai said:

Hence my comment on modulemaster.com but you need to make sure that's your problem first.

If the refrigerant is low, the a/c compressor will NOT come on. There's a pressure switch to detect that. You can hook up an a/c pressure gauge on the low pressure side to check for pressure.

Thanks man, I plan to check the low pressure side today. I have a question: I have heard that the A/C has to be running full blast in order to check the pressure, would I get an accurate reading without the compressor running? Supposed I have low refrigerant, would I be able to fill it while the compressor is off. I have filled refrigerant in the past for other Porsches while the compressor had to be running hence the question.

Edited by chamilka

John  is right. However, you can still check the static pressure when the engine is off. It should be ~70-80PSIG on either low/high side (temperature dependent).  If you have some very low numbers, your pressure switch will prevent the compressor from being activated.