Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rubber Air Deflector Under Front Bumper

997-C1 (2007 Coupe)

Does anyone know the purpose of the long, thin rubber air deflector under the front bumper?  It is held in place by rubber tabs.  Over the years, I've had to re-insert those tabs in slots under the bumper because they keep coming out if you drive over speed bumps or exit the driveway.  Last week I noticed that this part is missing -- must of lost it when I was exiting a gas station.

Is it worth replacing?  If so, what's the part number?  Many thanks in advance!

Andry

I hope you get a definitive answer on this.  My 2004 996 C2 has the slots under the front bumper cover.  I have found the rubber deflector in the parts catalog before (though i can't find it right now) but it is listed a being a C4 part.  I find this odd, because I think the C4 bumper cover is different than my C2, so why does my bumper have the slots?

I have been told it is there on cars with a center radiator and that it enhances airflow through that 3rd radiator.  Don't know if that is true or not.

Sorry -- wasn't aware of this rule (Not an excuse, but I doubt many people read the fine print in all those rules on every web site).  Therefore, can you suggest a different approach or should we just have to re-post under different title?

• Admin

No - please do not post under another title that just wastes everyone's time. Usually, posts are not replied to because the question is not clearly understood.

All the air deflectors have a use (or I don't think Porsche would add them).

Perhaps it would help if you take a photo and show us exactly which ones you are speaking of.

Thanks for the reply.  I agree that the air deflector "must have a use", but my original question was whether it's worth replacing.  I'm pretty sure that there's only one such air deflector under the front bumper.  Does anyone know more details about this item's purpose?  As I mentioned in my original post, I lost this deflector, hence can't take a picture to post.  Not knowing the part number, I can't even conduct a proper search (even though I tried to no avail).

Any help on this matter from more knowlegeable Porsche owners would be much appreciated.

I'd hazard a guess that it's the polyurethane front lip spoiler. Adds to front-end downforce and handling stability at higher speed.

I'm sure your friendly Porsche dealer can give you the part number over the telphone, and a search will reveal a photograph to confirm if it is actually the part that's missing.

i guess it's your call as to whether or not to replace.

Wizard,

Thanks for helping out!  However, I don't think that we're referring to the same part.  The polyurethane front lip spoiler is rigid and I can understand how it could play a more prominent role in the front-end downforce equation.  The deflector that I'm talking about is underneath the front bumper and is made of flexible rubber -- something similar to a rubber moulding.  It's about 3 feet long x 1.5" tall x 2" wide and is attached to the plastic underside of the car by pushing in the roughly dozen horizontal tabs into small slots.

Sorry if I'm not as clear a I'd like to be, but I have no way of providing a picture since I don't have a part number.

My info is all 996 so the 997 could be different, but I think the part you are talking about is Item 19 in this diagram.  I have also attached the page with the p/n, which notes as being for a C4S (these have a center radiator, right?).  My '04 996 had evidence of having had this piece installed at one time but I don't know why, since it is a C2.  I hope this helps you get some info on this.

If I were you, I would just buy this part and replace your damaged one.  As you have agreed, Porsche put it there for a reason.

Deflector.png

Deflector pn.png

Rockhouse66,

Thanks for putting all that effort in trying to help me out -- it's much appreciated!  However, I think that the 996 is a bit different from the 997.  After much searching (and hair pulling), I have finally found a parts diagram with the part in question.  The part that I lost on some speed bump was what Porsche calls the "spoiler" (part #17), see below.

Thank you everyone for putting up with this search.  Maybe it'll help someone else as well.  I'm under the impression that this is what these forums are all about...

Capture.thumb.JPG.1482a1d28b50f0704e1461347e591f0d.JPG59b9f5b642452_Capture1.thumb.JPG.d139d537e9daa509a07aa0b50321051a.JPG