Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 (2001 with Tiptronic trans IMS $ question

I have a 2001 Cab, with Tiptronic, with 16K miles USA model, and although I have no noise, no fluids leaking, I am getting concerned about replacing the IMS.  as I have heard many horror stories.  I purchased this car new in Sept 2001 (two days before the horrible event of 911).  I live in the St Paul Minnesota area.

1.   Could you folks please reply with the cost of a competent mechanics cost to replace it.   

2.   I understand there are different manufacturers of this bearing, with some making improved versions,  and so could you please also give me some thoughts on who makes the best.

3.  I also understand (from a UK member) that there are install kits available, and so I would love to know if this exists in the USA also.

Any other suggestions/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

+1

LN Engineering is no doubt one of the best authorities on the subject but you should educate yourself with the different offerings by doing a google search.

This is not rocket science. 

BTW, a failed IMS bearing is not something that is usually preceded by noise or fluid leak. It most often just  granades necessitating a full tear down, and rebuild. 

Johan

Edited by Uwon

• Moderators
10 hours ago, shubchs said:

I have a 2001 Cab, with Tiptronic, with 16K miles USA model, and although I have no noise, no fluids leaking, I am getting concerned about replacing the IMS.  as I have heard many horror stories.  I purchased this car new in Sept 2001 (two days before the horrible event of 911).  I live in the St Paul Minnesota area.

1.   Could you folks please reply with the cost of a competent mechanics cost to replace it.   

2.   I understand there are different manufacturers of this bearing, with some making improved versions,  and so could you please also give me some thoughts on who makes the best.

3.  I also understand (from a UK member) that there are install kits available, and so I would love to know if this exists in the USA also.

Any other suggestions/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, there are two types if retrofits:  Those that did LN Engineering, and those that wish they did.  LN & Jake. Raby invented the retrofit when Porsche said it could not be done, developed the necessary tools and procedures, and worked with bearing engineers to find the optimum ceramic hybrid replacement.  Jake even tested designs to destruction to prove the concept.  Everyone else now in the business have an off the shelf, “me too” fix; some of which have no real history, or a very limite one.  LN has been successfully retrofitting for many years now, with over 25,000 retrofits on the road.  In addition to the ceramic hybrid ball bearings version, they also make the IMS Solution, which is an oil fed solid bearing which is the only “life of the engine” retrofit, and the only one that can be moved to another engine.  Not the cheapest retrofit, but definitely one that draws attention at resale time.

Greetings, 

I believe this is a no-brainer.  Do either of the IMS right away.

How much is peace of mind worth?

I did the LNE upgrade at about 35k, and plan to do another near 75k.  Alternatively, I may do the oil fed bearing.  Not sure yet.

But, the fix must be done for peace of mind.  It's simply not worth the risk and the cost is likely under 2k.  This is a Porsche, it will cost.

There was a similar issue with the 911 SC 3.0 air cooled engine, probably the best ever made by Porsche.  The Achilles heel was the timing chain tensioner.  They were sealed, and would virtually destroy the engine if one lost pressure and failed.  The solution was an oil-fed tensioner.  That solved the problem and was incorporated into the subsequent Carrerra 3.2 engines 1984 onward.

So, doing a mandatory retrograde fix is not unique to Porsche.  Get it done and avoid those sleepless nights.

PS: I think the class-action lawsuit against Porsche over the IMS is now officially closed.  Cost Porsche some bucks to take care of it.

Cheers,

Just for reference. I had my 2000 C2 Tip Cab serviced with the LNE Double-row ceramic bearing about 5 years ago by my local independent Porsche professional ( a top-notch, well-respected shop). They installed an LNE low temp thermostat and X-51 baffled oil pan at the same time. The bill was $3200 including tax.

I think that was probably toward the high-end, but with a Tiptronic I don't think you will find it for a lot less.

With a 2001, you could have a single-row or double-row IMSB.

Edited by wyovino

I have a 2002 911 with a Tiptronic trans.  My car required the removal of the engine and the trans at the same time, then remove the trans from the engine to access the IMS bearing. I don't know if your 2001 is the same or not.

But that being my case I decided to go for a new bearing and a Direct Oil Feed kit since changing the bearing at each clutch change as with manual trans cars would not be my case.

On the basis of a couple of local respected PCA members who had gone this route with their favored independent shops I selected a shop who installs a DOF kit and bearing from a company called TuneRS Mall located in Florida.  You can ck. them out at www.turnersmall.com.

One thing I liked about their kit was that they pull the DOF oil from off the right head rather from above the oil filter as some do.  Better ??? but sounds like cleaner oil.

Their kit and bearing sold for about $850.  Around here you could get the kit and installation for about $2500.

Last I looked Tuner had over 17 installers around the country and if you contact them they may be able to direct you to one near you.

Since my installation, I have put over 10K on the car and am completely satisfied.

Just my experience...good insurance at about 10% of the car's value...good luck!

bj

Edited by Bob Jones

• Moderators
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:27 PM, Bob Jones said:

I have a 2002 911 with a Tiptronic trans.  My car required the removal of the engine and the trans at the same time, then remove the trans from the engine to access the IMS bearing. I don't know if your 2001 is the same or not.

But that being my case I decided to go for a new bearing and a Direct Oil Feed kit since changing the bearing at each clutch change as with manual trans cars would not be my case.

On the basis of a couple of local respected PCA members who had gone this route with their favored independent shops I selected a shop who installs a DOF kit and bearing from a company called TuneRS Mall located in Florida.  You can ck. them out at www.turnersmall.com.

One thing I liked about their kit was that they pull the DOF oil from off the right head rather from above the oil filter as some do.  Better ??? but sounds like cleaner oil.

Their kit and bearing sells for about $850.  Around here you can get the kit and installation for about $2500.

Last I looked Tuner had over 17 installers around the country and if you contact them they may be able to direct you to one near you.

Since my installation, I have put over 10K on the car and am completely satisfied.

Just my experience...good insurance at about 10% of the car's value...good luck!

bj

To put the oil source in perspective, the cylinder heads are one of the hottest and dirtiest sources of oil.  There have also been reports of lifter noise and VarioCam problems when oil is drawn from the head, both of which problems went away when the oil feed line was disconnected.  The actual reason only one retrofit kit manufacturer uses oil coming from the filter is that this method is protected by a patent; but the filter area oil is both cooler and just filtered as well.  If it wasn't patented, others would use it as it is a better oil source.

• Upvote 1