Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LN Engineering announces access to their online database of installed IMS retrofits

• Moderators

LN Engineering has just announced online access to their database of installed retrofit bearings. You can search by the LN door sticker number, or by VIN number to see if an LN bearing has been installed, when it was done, who did it, and the mileage at that time it was installed. Caveats are that the installer had to register the installation, which not all did, and assumes the same engine is still in the car.

This should help those looking at used cars with claimed installed retrofits determine if the claim is real.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, dporto said:

Unfortunately if the install wasn't registered, it won't show in the database. It doesn't mean it wasn't done, just that it wasn't registered...Nice tool, but of limited value

Only for shops, or individuals, who did not follow through on the process and register the retrofit.  We see cars regularly for PPI's that claim to have an LN retrofit, but without supporting paperwork from the shop that did it, we totally discount the claim and warn the buyer as much.  The problem with retrofits (excepting the IMS Solution, which is visually obvious) is no provenance, no value; which also means that the buyer now needs to factor doing the retrofit into the price, lowing it further. 

LN has been proactive in supporting end users than have one of their retrofits.  After years of unsupported claims, and even some history of counterfeit door jam stickers, now they have useful tool for buyer's and sellers that went with installers that did the job right and protected their interests.

^I agree to some extent. This is not necessarily a knock on LN, but they don’t even have any real data on serial #’s. For instance, if you give them your serial # they can’t tell you what type of bearing it is, only when it was manufactured. This doesn’t make sense to me. I realize it is what it is, it just seems weird. In my case I pulled the original bearing which turned out to be their “classic dual row”. It was in good shape and I replaced it with “The Solution”, so I’m done with my IMSB and it doesn’t matter to me at this point. However, it would have been helpful to me to know that I had a dual row bearing before I bought “The Solution” (solely so I knew which “solution” to buy). Once again, just an observation - hopefully they’ll make things a little easier for us...

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, Jez986 said:

Just looked mine up. Details are not accurate. eg - wrong model year of car.

Was probably entered wrong by whoever did the install.  You need to take that up with LN, I'm sure they can correct any misinformation for you if you have all the original documentation.

Or, if you do as provenance, keep your repair record from the shop that did the work.  This is probably ok if the shop is licensed by your state, like CA through the BAR.

And as a related digression, Jeff,  I have about 25k the retrofit on my 2003 C4$.  I'll be getting another put in after about 10k+ miles. Is it still your thought to go with the solution instead of another retro?  I've thought otherwise, but am coming around to the solution as, well, ..the solution.  I did the carerra tensioner hydrologic update on my 911sc, and then never thought about tensioners again.  Same with the solution?

Edited by judgejon

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, judgejon said:

Or, if you do as provenance, keep your repair record from the shop that did the work.  This is probably ok if the shop is licensed by your state, like CA through the BAR.

And as a related digression, Jeff,  I have about 25k the retrofit on my 2003 C4$.  I'll be getting another put in after about 10k+ miles. Is it still your thought to go with the solution instead of another retro?  I've thought otherwise, but am coming around to the solution as, well, ..the solution.  I did the carerra tensioner hydrologic update on my 911sc, and then never thought about tensioners again.  Same with the solution?

Yes.  The IMS Solution is the only permanent retrofit for the IMS bearing.  It is also the only one that can be moved from one engine to another.  I have two Solution cars in my private stable, one single and one dual row, neither has been touched since the install, and never will be.  From various PPI's, the Solution is also a desirable option at resale.

Thanks.  I will be taking your good advice.

I'm aware of the 6/75k thoughts on the retrofit bearing.  I drive a 2003 C4$.  I had the retrofit installed in 2011 at about 40k miles on the car.  Mileage now about 60k.

My plan is to change to the Solution at around 70k miles.  Does this fit with the various situations you've seen in the shop?  Cheers, jl