Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2017 - 991 Air filter design dilemma ?

After being away from this site for almost 2 years, due to my old 996 getting wrecked by my UK friend visiting, with me in it !  ( That's another story )

Anyhow, I just bought a new 2017 Porsche 911-991. 

I love to do a lot of the maintenance myself, as I did on my old 996, but was quite surprised the way things have changed over the last 15 years ! (My old 996 was a 2002)

The main thing that really shocked me was the access to the twin turbo  air filters ! (all 2017 911's have twin turbos now) 

It appears you have to actually remove the rear bumper to access the air filters !

Why the hell they designed it like that is anyone's guess ? But considering I've only had it for 3 days it appears that's the only way.

Anyone have any ideas on this ?  I'm really frustrated about it, and if I do decide to take it to the dealer, any idea of the cost , to replace the air filters ? Thanks Britdave 

11 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

Do a search, servicing the 991 air filters has been covered before.  Not fun, but doable.

Ok thanks, but I looked on here, and couldn't find anything  and very little on the 2017 ,s ? I guess it's because they are so new ? 

• 9 months later...
On 11/15/2017 at 3:27 PM, JFP in PA said:

OK then try this video:  How to change a 991 air filters   This is for 2112+ 991 cars.

the design isn't that bad....fender bolts holds verticle support and tail light hold support horizontal support, there isn't any drag coeffeicnet challenges at the back end, I would love to try to convert these oem  to quarter turn dzus  fasteners and that would be awesome!!  lol