Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Everyone,

Since I just blew my wad on a clutch I'm going to tackle the shift cables and console by myself. Taking the center console apart and installing the new console (DesignTek) will be easy. Getting the cables through the tunnel not so. I see a rubber gasket that passes through the sheet metal right over the torque tube to the front of the car. Can those cables and gasket be run through from the top? I know I have to get under the car to attach the cables to the transmission but trying to get the cables through from below will be a night mare with the torque tube in the way. 

Great. What I might do then is tie some twine to the cable ends below and the other end to the tranny so when  l pull the cables out from above the twine will follow the same route then reverse the procedure. It looks to me that the only real screw up you can make is attaching the cables to the wrong actuator. I would do that.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mijostyn said:

Great. What I might do then is tie some twine to the cable ends below and the other end to the tranny so when  l pull the cables out from above the twine will follow the same route then reverse the procedure. It looks to me that the only real screw up you can make is attaching the cables to the wrong actuator. I would do that.

It would not be the first time........

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Numeric cables and Shift Console installed this weekend. Having read that the cables increase transmission whine I used all the insulators and Grommet that came on the stock cables and shifted them to the Numeric cables. Getting the grommet in from below is impossible so I jammed it in from the top which seems to have worked fine as I have absolutely no increase in transmission whine that I can tell. Shifting is much more direct and mechanical, like having a gated sifter. The abrupt "thunk" at the end of each shift might bother some people. It is almost like tapping a hammer against a thick steel plate. Shifting effort is decreased even with the same throw as the short throw Porsche shifter that came with the car. I did this because I was having trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd which my Indy thought might be a cable or cable end problem so I figured that while I had the car apart I might as well go all the way. Is it worth $900? I would have to say that unless you are in love with rifle bolt shifting and otherwise have normal shifting the answer is no. If your cables break which seems to be not unusual then going for the Numeric cables is a go. They are very well made, appear very durable and are a breeze to adjust. You definitely do not need the jig that is sold to hold the shifter in position.  The Numeric Shift console is certainly a nice piece and I have nothing to say against it other than the price. A shame that it is entirely hidden. It is certainly has better bearings than even the Porsche GT3 unit.