Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Gen 1 Sports Exhaust operation

Posted this on the Australian forum, but the option is quite rare here so hard to get a response

Hi all,

I have a 2005 997S with factory PSE. Does anyone on this list have one and how does it work??  

When I start the car it defaults to "off" (but the light is on). When I turn it on the light goes off? Which by the way I have read is normal (on some cars), but seems odd? Also it seems to switch on and off depending on how fast I'm going and how hard I accelerate? For example, if I accelerate easy, it just stays on, but if I go a little harder (but not too much) it switches off until I back off a little? And this only happens up to about 80kph. After that it stays on no matter how hard I drive. Is this right???

I have read that the Euro cars of the same model switch off the PSE between 50-80kph? Mine certainly comes on within those speeds, as long as I don't accelerate hard

Can anyone give me some information on this model/option? It's really hard to find anything from Porsche or in a manual on the actual operation of this option!!

thanks, Tim

• Admin

:welcomeani:

All the factory PSE systems are the same.

The exhaust is normally open until a (manifold) vacuum pulls a valve (one per side) closed.

On later cars like yours, you can close the valve with a switch (quiet mode) or open the valve (loud mode).

The valves also close based on speedometer readings between 42 kph and 68 kph (28 mph and 45 mph) to meet certain noise laws.

From the Porsche PSE installation manual:

"Switch off the engine sound of the sports exhaust system in the loud speed ranges by pressing the tailpipe symbol on the switch (center console). If the operation is correct, the light-emitting diode in the switch starts to light up.
Press the tailpipe symbol once more to switch on the engine sound of the sports exhaust system again. The light-emitting diode must go out in this case.
Note: Switching operations with the switch must only be triggered by pressing the tailpipe symbol."