Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have recently left the US for France with my 2007 997.1 C4S. One of the (several) slight differences between a US and a FR 997 are the headlights. I have the Litronic Xenon headlights (round xenon lens above, 'regular' lamp below) but they are not marked with the E or e signifying homologation in the EU. So I am on the hunt for a pair of used EU-marked Xenon headlights in order to pass the homologation inspection. I have tried leboncoin.fr, passionauto.fr, jeanbuser.com, cupspirit.com, no luck.

Anyone have a spare pair of used EU 997  headlights laying around? :-) Or better yet, any advice on where to search next? I can get a pair of new ones from my local Porsche dealer but the pair will run me 2500€. A little dear just for an inspection, methinks.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ToulouseNJ
Clear info on headlight type

• 3 weeks later...

To close the story on the headlights, I found a used pair of Litronic Xenon headlights, with the E marking, thanks to the local Porsche club network. By the way, the marking is found adjacent to the xenon lens, near the outboard side.

So, after changing

• the headlights for EU marked ones (parts not cheap, did it myself)
  • replacing wing mirror glass, both sides (parts not cheap, did it at dealer)
  • changing yellow side markers to clear side markers (cheap, did it at dealer with wing mirrors)
  • constructor's plaque (cheap, but a long wait from the factory, did it at dealer with wing mirrors)

I am ready to schedule my inspection with the French DREAL. Fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

It is all over! My 997 arrived in France on 21 Jul 2017, and on 30 Mar 2018 I received the carte grise (FR title/registration) with my license plate number! I have ordered a pair of plates and will put 'em on as soon as they arrive.

The inspection was just a verification - a check that all the items noted on the Certificate of Partial Conformance were addressed, plus they checked that the rear fog light was functional. After that, the DREAL (the inspectorate) submitted my file to the Interior Ministry and I was able to go online, upload a few docs (US title, bill of sale, etc - all the things I had given to the DREAL prior), pay the carte grise (approx. €1500 - horsepower ain't cheap in France) and a week later my carte grise was in the mail.

Lots of hoops to jump through, but if anyone is about to go through this for themselves, please contact me if you want some help.

PS - the breathalyser kit was indeed a law, but it was never enforced, and subsequently removed from the books. Looks like some politicians sobered up... :-)