Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thermostat removal / replacement

I'm in the process of replacing the water pump on my 2011 CS due to a failed bearing and am also going to replace the thermostat since I'm in there and the car's got 99K on it.

I've followed all the steps on the AllDataDIY site but the thermostat doesn't want to budge. Yes, I've removed the cable plug :biggrin: so nothing should be holding it in except the gaskets.

I guess the question is how much force does it take to actually pull it out? The repair guide doesn't give any clue and I don't want to just yank on it if something is holding it in.

Ho Loren.

I'm talking about this step...

FbiD2Ly.jpg

2.2. Tie a knot in the wire or electric cable to prevent it from being pulled out.
2.3. Insert an assembly lever or a large screwdriver through the cable. -- Secured electric cable

2.4. Pull the thermostat insert out of the crankcase completely using an inserted assembly lever or a large screwdriver. Support the assembly lever under the vibration balancer if necessary. -- Secured electric cable Figure shows removed thermostat insert -- Removed coolant regulator.

There's no indication as to how much force is required to extricate the thermostat from the housing. It should just be held in by the gaskets at this point so I would think it would come out w/o too much effort - maybe 10-20 lbs of pull. Guess I'll pull harder.

ETA: The answer is to indeed pull harder. Takes quite a bit to get it removed.

Edited by Tom M
Updated with solution
  • Upvote 1

Tom, you may want to read up on the actual thermostat housing: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011/1045931-2011-2014-serious-issue-coolant-pipe-glue.html

I would certainly consider at least JB_Weld'ing those pipes in place while you have it apart and accessible.. if not replacing the housing.

Don, I've read about them on multiple places and may add some JB Weld since I've got things apart currently. I just need to pick up the hi temp flavor.

On the plus side, mine looks to be in good shape with no indication of movement so adding the JB Weld may end up like wearing a belt with suspenders,  but there's no real harm in doing so.