Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Interior door latch problem

When I opened the drivers door  ( 997.1)  this morning while exiting the car I heard pop/snapping sound coming from the  area of the door latch resulting in significant play in the actuation of the latch. I can open the door and the latch still actuates the window lowering function when entering and exiting the car but lots of play in the cable and latch does fully return to its normal position . 

Has anyone experienced this issue that can give me heads up what needs fixing behind the door card ?

Should have soon a Google search.  Found the most common cause to be the door lock pivot. ( Bad cable would not let me open the door or actuate the window so that was easy to rule out ) It appears this is a common part failure in these cars as they age. Repair requires a  $20 part ( part number 997-555-381-03 for drivers door ) - maybe 20 minute job. Might be of interest to others.

• Moderators

Usually it is the return spring that operates the rod between the inside door handle and the lock mechanism that has been broken. You will have to remove the door lining to restore it.

Your right and we're talking about the came part as the area of the spring is the weakest point of part.  The most common name I found for it was  "door lock pivot " so I used that one when looking for advice. One Porsche dealers site refers to it as a " mount bracket " .  Despite the description are the  997.555.381.03 for the drivers door. Passenger door number is different ( 382 vs 381).

16 hours ago, dphatch said:

Your right and we're talking about the came part as the area of the spring is the weakest point of part.  The most common name I found for it was  "door lock pivot " so I used that one when looking for advice. One Porsche dealers site refers to it as a " mount bracket " .  Despite the description are the  997.555.381.03 for the drivers door. Passenger door number is different ( 382 vs 381).

Same problem just started occurring on my 2006 997.1, thank you for the information.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Couple years have passed and I have just got around to the repair. Internal switch in door lock mechanism prevented window from dropping the required distance to close the door. Would always stay up until door latch interior or exterior handle is pulled. It was not the micro switch as some folks recommended. Pelican Parts # 3D1-837-015-C-M100

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My driver side door latch went limp too; door can be opened though. There is a iTunes video showing how to replace the part. I’ll post a link to it later.

I now have the replacement part and plan to R&R next Monday.

‘here’s the link:  https://youtu.be/fFDOKRFI464

Edited by jim_hoyland
Added tube link