Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have questions about the auto stop/start feature on the Panamera.
When it is enabled, if car stops at a stop light, etc, the engine automatically cuts out (leaving electronics on while engine is off).  When light turns green, driver lifts foot off brake, and engine restarts allowing driver to resume driving.

Isnt continuous start/stop of the engine, many times during any routine driving trip to work/home, a bad thing for the engine?
Typically, starting is one of the more harsh things done to an engine.  Am I incorrect in this train of thought?  If continuous stopping and re-starting is not good for the car, why would a driver want to be using this feature (other than uninformed drivers thinking they are cutting down on pollution)?

Thank you for your enlightenment.

Cool.  After I tried it a few times, thought it through and turned off full time as well.  I know engineers are well meaning folk, but IMO this situation warrants the OFF position for the feature.

Wonder if PCNA will give any $$$ back for not using the feature.  lol

• 1 month later...

Think the auto shutoff is a fuel economy/pollution control feature and as such the intention is good, noble, etc. I don’t think you have to worry about the usual engine start up wear issues as that is mostly related to the oil having drained down fromwear surfaces like the cams and cylinder walls and that is something that takes much longer than a minute.

My concern would be with wear on the starter and battery but that maybe a reasonable trade off if you are so inclined. 

Good job on the 6:1 result today UKers!

Here in USA, auto start/stop is remembered.  So in my case, I leave it off (light is turned on the button).  If I turn the feature back on, after car restart, the position of the switch is remembered by the car.

11 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I don't know about US cars, but over here the Stop/Start is set to default "On".  This can be changed with a PIWIS tester to Default "Off" or "Remember Last".

• 3 months later...

From what I have been told Stop Start technology is amazingly advanced.

The bits I remember:

To start the car ONLY the optimal cylinder (s) are fed with fuel and ignighted.

This turns the engine over, being up to temperature it starts with fuel being fed into the remaining cylinders as normal. Reducing the need for the starter motor and load on the battery.