Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hey folks,  I just bought a 2011 Cayenne S to replace my 2006.  Wow what a difference!  Anyways, the TPMS has 2 dead sensors.  What replacements works?  I can't seem to get a straight answer... looking for cost effective option.  What have you actually bought and used that actually works?  Model names, numbers etc... are appreciated

Thanks.

Roch

Sprocket,

I also have a 2011 Cayenne S and had the same issue. I ordered a set of four Tire Pressure Monitors (including new Valve Stems for TPM) from Suncoast Porsche. You will have to provide your VIN number to verify you have the proper frequency. Worked immediately!

They come in either 315 MHz or 433 MHz. If you order the wrong frequency they won't work. Your local dealer can also tell you which frequency your Cayenne requires.

I wish I would have seen the partsgeek.com link earlier - much cheaper there!

315 MHz TPS.jpg

433 MHz TPS.jpg

Scanner-1, did you have to do any reprogramming at all?  or was it just put 'em in and they worked?  The problem I'm faced with is that there is no Porsche dealer on the Island so I need ones that will just go in without having to be programmed by a dealer.

Thanks.

Roch

Edited by sprocket
additional details

39 minutes ago, sprocket said:

Tom M.  was this for a 2011 Cayenne S as well?

Indeed it was.

You can also use the search by vehicle to find what works and if there's any question you can give them a call to confirm.  I've got no affiliation with the site other than being a satisfied customer.

3 minutes ago, Tom M said:

Indeed it was.

You can also use the search by vehicle to find what works and if there's any question you can give them a call to confirm.  I've got no affiliation with the site other than being a satisfied customer.

Thanks soooo much  Tom M.  

It's been a challenge finding the right answers from various sources but I'll take your answer as gospel if you have the same vehicle as mine.  Cheers!

R.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this while out searching for something completely different. Not sure when Porsche Gen3 TPM started, but this exactly describes the system on my 2011 and 2013.

The 3rd generation TPM system operates on the principle of unidirectional communication between the
wheel electronics and control unit. This means that the wheel electronics can communicate with the
control unit, but the control unit cannot communicate with the wheel electronics.
The wheel electronics units send the currently measured tyre pressure, the direction of rotation, the
temperature of the air in the tyre and the remaining service life (of the battery) as well as a specific ID
from the wheel that is currently turning at specified intervals.
The wheel position is learned automatically from the side and axle specifications. The direction of
rotation of a wheel is detected by acceleration sensors in the wheel electronics (left/right detection). Axle
sensing (front axle/rear axle detection) is performed based on differentiated sound levels between the
front and rear axle, where the central antenna is fitted close to one axle (high level). The levels received
from the other axle are correspondingly low.

The wheel electronics units communicate with the control unit in various modes. Depending on the
current mode of a wheel electronics unit, it sends telegrams to the control unit at defined intervals.
Normal mode: Normal mode is active while the vehicle is driving (after Burst mode has ended).
Sleep mode: Sleep mode is activated as soon as the vehicle remains stationary for longer than 5
minutes. The wheel electronics then send no more telegrams. If the ignition is switched on while
the wheel electronics units are in Sleep mode, no tyre pressures are displayed (display in
instrument cluster: "-.-"). Tyre pressures are only displayed again when the vehicle is driving (see
Burst mode).
Burst mode: If the wheel electronics units are in Sleep mode and the vehicle is accelerated to
over 25 km/h (15 mph) from stationary, the wheel electronics units switch to Burst mode. The
wheel electronics units send their telegrams for 60 seconds at fast intervals.

If a new set of wheels is used or wheel electronics units were replaced, the TPM system must be taught.
When teaching the TPM system, the control unit stores the wheel IDs of the wheel electronics units and
assigns a position to them.
New wheel electronics units can be taught by selecting a new set of wheels in the instrument cluster.
The system is then in learning mode and re-assigns the wheel IDs that are received.
But the system also detects a wheel change if the stored information does not correspond to the
information received. The control unit then displays a message on the instrument cluster prompting you
to select the newly fitted set of wheels.

The wheel electronics units can be taught while the vehicle is driving and while it is stationary. Teaching
while driving is recommended.

The wheel IDs can also be taught without using the System Tester.
The following points must always be observed:
Allow an idle time of at least 5 minutes before teaching the wheel IDs (wheel electronics units are
then in Sleep mode).
Briefly accelerate the vehicle to over 25 km/h (15 mph) in order to teach the wheel IDs (wheel
electronics units are then in Burst mode).
Then continue driving at any speed (even < 25 km/h or 15 mph) for max. 10 minutes.
Teaching was successful if a pressure reading is displayed in the instrument cluster for all wheel
positions.

1 hour ago, scanner-1 said:

Found this while out searching for something completely different. Not sure when Porsche Gen3 TPM started, but this exactly describes the system on my 2011 and 2013.

The 3rd generation TPM system operates on the principle of unidirectional communication between the
wheel electronics and control unit. This means that the wheel electronics can communicate with the
control unit, but the control unit cannot communicate with the wheel electronics.
The wheel electronics units send the currently measured tyre pressure, the direction of rotation, the
temperature of the air in the tyre and the remaining service life (of the battery) as well as a specific ID
from the wheel that is currently turning at specified intervals.
The wheel position is learned automatically from the side and axle specifications. The direction of
rotation of a wheel is detected by acceleration sensors in the wheel electronics (left/right detection). Axle
sensing (front axle/rear axle detection) is performed based on differentiated sound levels between the
front and rear axle, where the central antenna is fitted close to one axle (high level). The levels received
from the other axle are correspondingly low.

The wheel electronics units communicate with the control unit in various modes. Depending on the
current mode of a wheel electronics unit, it sends telegrams to the control unit at defined intervals.
Normal mode: Normal mode is active while the vehicle is driving (after Burst mode has ended).
Sleep mode: Sleep mode is activated as soon as the vehicle remains stationary for longer than 5
minutes. The wheel electronics then send no more telegrams. If the ignition is switched on while
the wheel electronics units are in Sleep mode, no tyre pressures are displayed (display in
instrument cluster: "-.-"). Tyre pressures are only displayed again when the vehicle is driving (see
Burst mode).
Burst mode: If the wheel electronics units are in Sleep mode and the vehicle is accelerated to
over 25 km/h (15 mph) from stationary, the wheel electronics units switch to Burst mode. The
wheel electronics units send their telegrams for 60 seconds at fast intervals.

If a new set of wheels is used or wheel electronics units were replaced, the TPM system must be taught.
When teaching the TPM system, the control unit stores the wheel IDs of the wheel electronics units and
assigns a position to them.
New wheel electronics units can be taught by selecting a new set of wheels in the instrument cluster.
The system is then in learning mode and re-assigns the wheel IDs that are received.
But the system also detects a wheel change if the stored information does not correspond to the
information received. The control unit then displays a message on the instrument cluster prompting you
to select the newly fitted set of wheels.

The wheel electronics units can be taught while the vehicle is driving and while it is stationary. Teaching
while driving is recommended.

The wheel IDs can also be taught without using the System Tester.
The following points must always be observed:
Allow an idle time of at least 5 minutes before teaching the wheel IDs (wheel electronics units are
then in Sleep mode).
Briefly accelerate the vehicle to over 25 km/h (15 mph) in order to teach the wheel IDs (wheel
electronics units are then in Burst mode).
Then continue driving at any speed (even < 25 km/h or 15 mph) for max. 10 minutes.
Teaching was successful if a pressure reading is displayed in the instrument cluster for all wheel
positions.

So is this saying that they don't need to be programmed?   AAAARGGGGG!!!!!  this is so frustrating!!!!  I just want sensors to work without having to be programmed by dealer.   There is NO DEALER on the Island.  I am not spending $2k to get my vehicle to a dealer on the mainland for TPMS sensors.  That's just foolish.  My garage said they called Porsche in Halifax and they said they need to be programmed!!   Why is it so hard to get an answer regarding TPMS???  Sorry for the rant.....just frustrated now.

R

26 minutes ago, Loren said:

Why not use the ones Tom M recommended above. He already stated, "no programming needed".

Hi Loren,

I have just pulled the trigger on that order.  Let's hope they work otherwise this is an expensive "see if it works" exercise with the shipping, US/CAD exchange rate/ duty, etc.....

R.

9 minutes ago, sprocket said:

Hi Loren,

I have just pulled the trigger on that order.  Let's hope they work otherwise this is an expensive "see if it works" exercise with the shipping, US/CAD exchange rate/ duty, etc.....

R.

The only thing I had to do after getting mine installed was to go into the TPMS screen on the MFD and reselect the tire settings. They then picked up the correct tire pressure on the drive home.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 10:14 AM, Tom M said:

I used these and had the local Discount Tire install them for $20. No programming required and they work fine.

http://www.tpms.com/Huf_IntelliSens_RDE011_Set_p/uvc0011set.htm

Thanks Tom M!!!!  I received  my sensors from tpms.com today.  Had them installed and they were working within a few minutes!!!  Huge thanks for this.

Roch

Edited by sprocket
  • Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

So it's a few years later, a new set of wheels, tires, TPMS, and unfortunately an update on what TPMS does NOT work on my 2011 CTT:

My old UVS2000 HUF Intellisens (installed 2017) were still working fine when I had my indy install a new set of Porsche wheels and Pirelli tires (went from 20" to 21"). I was unable to find the same sensors (discontinued) and my search led me to some very reasonably priced Shrader 29138 (Pre-programmed for Porsche) sensors. After install, the Porsche relearn procedure would only pick up the two rear sensors. After multiple tries and a call to Shrader tech support, I swapped front wheels to rear and rear to front. Again only the rear two sensors were picked up by the TPMS system. My current theory is that the Shrader TPMS outputs at a slightly lower signal strength and is unable to reach the TPMS antenna located on the rear axle.

Any other thoughts or experience with these particular sensors is appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update for anybody still wondering:

I swapped my new Shrader equipped wheels on to my wife's 2013 Cayenne Diesel and had the exact same issue (front wheels not identified).

I went to TPMSdirect and bought 4 HUF IntelliSens for $33 a piece. They arrived in BHsens IntelliSens boxes with a sticker saying they were programmed for a 2011 Cayenne Turbo. Same indy installed and 5 minutes later they were working fine.

I'm pretty sure that HUF is the OE for Porsche and BHsens is their joint venture with a Chinese company. The sensors look, smell, taste and act like the genuine part.

Bottom line: DO NOT buy Shrader 29138 for your 958 Cayenne.