Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield washer tank leak?

I noticed some water on the back of my 911 (2005 997 Carrera) this afternoon. Looking under the car, found it was coming from the front, behind the driver-side tire. Looks like the windshield washer tank is leaking? Considering the car's age and that I've never had to replace it before, I assume that's it. Anyone know how hard to replace the tank is? 

911_water.JPG

• 1 month later...

I had mine done at the shop. The tank was cracked due to the plastic becoming brittle after 13 years.  I didn’t have the confidence to do it my self. I had the front suspension done at the same time as it was about knackered

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have done this and the removal and replacement of the coolant tank, even with the engine lowered, is not a simple task as the tank is fully encased in the engine bay, is oddly shaped and quite long.(I am willing to bet is was installed prior to the engine install when these cars were manufactured.  Not sure why you would want to remove any tires/wheels  in an effort to remove it from underneath the car as there is no access to the tank from underneath the car.  Maybe if you took mufflers and muffler carrier brackets out ???  I would love to see that video. I removed and replaced tank from engine bay directly and while getting it out was a chore, getting it back in was something else again. Disconnecting stuff was the easy part but still requires some creativity. Getting the tank back in, on the other hand ,  requires lots of creativity and the patients of Job as the tank has to be positioned at just such and angle, due to the length odd shape  so as to allow it to  go in unhindered by  existing engine bay stuff. Need to memorize exactly how it came out I guess. Certainly do-able but not a 1 wrench.

• Admin
4 hours ago, dphatch said:

I have done this and the removal and replacement of the coolant tank, even with the engine lowered, is not a simple task as the tank is fully encased in the engine bay, is oddly shaped and quite long.(I am willing to bet is was installed prior to the engine install when these cars were manufactured.  Not sure why you would want to remove any tires/wheels  in an effort to remove it from underneath the car as there is no access to the tank from underneath the car.  Maybe if you took mufflers and muffler carrier brackets out ???  I would love to see that video. I removed and replaced tank from engine bay directly and while getting it out was a chore, getting it back in was something else again. Disconnecting stuff was the easy part but still requires some creativity. Getting the tank back in, on the other hand ,  requires lots of creativity and the patients of Job as the tank has to be positioned at just such and angle, due to the length odd shape  so as to allow it to  go in unhindered by  existing engine bay stuff. Need to memorize exactly how it came out I guess. Certainly do-able but not a 1 wrench.

I think this discussion is about the windshield washer tank.

• Like 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, dphatch said:

Loren,  I think you are exactly right. My mistake. Guess it was the "cracked tank" comment that got me going as only cracked issue I've had was with coolant tank.  Hope all will accept my  apology.

No need to apologize - it is always great to help fellow owners.

• 2 months later...

In my experience the most common failure is at the washer pump. Easy replacement DIY. Buy your new one from Amazon or Pelican for $10 to $20 - most German cars use the same pump so there's many manufacturers out there - I bought a Continental one as I believe they are the OEM manufacturer.

• 3 years later...
On 12/15/2018 at 3:21 PM, Leathers said:

In my experience the most common failure is at the washer pump. Easy replacement DIY. Buy your new one from Amazon or Pelican for $10 to $20 - most German cars use the same pump so there's many manufacturers out there - I bought a Continental one as I believe they are the OEM manufacturer.

Yes, mine has the pump leaking not the rubber gasket. Still replacing the pump is either 80$ (OE) or 25$ OEM. Not a difficult task to do (in my opinion) if you’re handy.