Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have Suddenly overnight got a droning sound from my Boxster 986 s 2003. Its not the engine because the sound doesn't change if you put the car in neutral and let idle or rev it theres no change.

However if you let the car coast along and turn engine off, you still hear the droning wining sound. Its happened so quickly rather than built up slowly I am wondering if it could be the handbrake shoes gone adrift perhaps.

Any body else had this?

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

13 minutes ago, Collins986 said:

I have Suddenly overnight got a droning sound from my Boxster 986 s 2003. Its not the engine because the sound doesn't change if you put the car in neutral and let idle or rev it theres no change.

However if you let the car coast along and turn engine off, you still hear the droning wining sound. Its happened so quickly rather than built up slowly I am wondering if it could be the handbrake shoes gone adrift perhaps.

Any body else had this?

Most likely a wheel bearing on its way out,

Posted (edited)

I have found that most "droning" sounds coming from Porsches are caused by tire wear, tire faults or alignment. Low profile tires can start to drone long before the tread wear would warrant replacement. Start there before starting mechanical work. I just proved this to myself this week when I replaced a set of tires on a "new" to me 997. Thought is was mechanical for sure, but tires fixed it. How many miles are on your car?

Edited by apex97

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sprocket
      Hi folks,

So I have a 2011 Cayenne S.  I took it on a road trip in July and did over 6000kms pulling my 19ft travel trailer.  No issues pulling it at all, quite the opposite.  The pig performed like a champ!  Now I'm home and commuting back and forth to work and I start hearing a sporadic whining noise.  Sounds like gear/tranny/transfer case noise.  it comes and goes.  there is no grinding sounds or anything like that just a whining.  I'm wondering if she burned through some fluid during her hauling roadtrip?  Would low fluid levels cause whining?

Thanks in advance!

Roch. 
    • By ManMN
      I was troubleshooting code P2189, undo some vacuum line to test for leaks ... this is a different issue all together.  I mentioned it because I unhooked vacuum lines.  I reconnected everything (hoses), I did not start the engine because I was still working on it.  My engine was running fine for weeks even with P2189 - not rough like some mentioned!
      Two days later, In the morning, I used the car to do errands, I drove for about 10 minutes.  At the stop sign, I stepped on the brake, the car won't stop like it used to! It rolled slowly and then stopped.  It's like taking a much much longer distant to stop.  I did not see anything abnormal on the dashboard except for the CE for the P2189 code! no smell of anything.  I continued to drive the car at the normal speed (35 mile/hr) but kept a large distance from the car in front.  About 10 minutes later, the brake felt normal like nothing had happened.  I drove for another 10 minutes to reach my destination.   2 hours later, jumped in the car to drive home, the brakes felt normal.  About 2 minutes the PSM light came on,  brakes are still OK.  5 minutes later I pulled into the bank, turned off the engine for couple minutes then restarted the engine, the PSM light is OFF, the brake is normal... I drove home.

Now, where do I start troubleshoot the brakes and the PSM light? I don't have the Durametric tool.  Or must I have the Durametric to troubleshoot? can I rent one from someone?

Your help is needed. 

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Man N

• By roberinot
      I am a member of the PCA and have changed brake pads numerous times on 5 different 911's totaling more than I can count on both hands.  Does anyone know what the part numbers are for doing a break change (pads, rotors, sensors) on a 2008 Cayenne S

VIN: WP1AB29P58LA50752

Thanks

Rob
    • By Harman2907
      Hey guys new member here. Recently bought my 2000 Porsche Boxster S back in June and ran through plenty of problems since day 1 but today im a little lost. After a failed oil cooler, oil pump solenoid, new spark plugs, new window regulator, new AOS; im now stuck with a knock coming from from the driver side of the engine (U.S.) I haven't needed to get into the engine since I haven't had serious problems until now. Looking at similar knocks on YouTube, I think its a failed rod bearing. CEL came on for a Cylinder 6 misfire. I read at other posts about getting to them through the oil pan but can't find how. Besides pulling the oil pan, what else do I need to crack open? Do I need to remove the cross bar? By the way, I know something is going on because I pulled the oil pan off already and found alot more metallic flakes from wear and tear than usual. Im pretty sure the previous owner didn't do a oil change when he was supposed to. At this point, Im going to college with 5 classes and launching a business soon, so I hope im not stuck with a major rebuild. Planning to post pictures and video tomorrow. Thanks.
    • By gojerry
      I have  an 03 Boxster with 95k on the clock.
      When you first start driving the car, everything is tight and quiet. After about 25 - 30 miles, the front start to knock lightly and rumble. Most noticeable between 0 and 30mph in queuing traffic.  You can feel the knocks on the steering wheel and brake pedal. The further you go the worse it gets. The sound is like a bolt being jarred in a plastic bottle.
      Up to now it has had new bake disks and pads. Track rod ends and wishbones replaced and something That looks like coffin struts changed. Wheels and tyres have been checked. When the knocking started, the brake warning light came on. The front sensors have been changed so the warning lights don't come on when the knocking starts.
      I am not mechanically minded but In my mind its a brake problem as the issue only shows up after driving for about 30 miles and things are starting to warm up.
      The garage cannot identify the issue and have run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest or identify the problem as I have been replacing bits without success

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.