Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Flywheel Removal/Cam Timing

vza

Hi All,99 Boxster. In removing Flywheel do I need to use a flywheel lock if I'm locking the crankshaft at TDC? And...to check the timing after cam cover removal and IMS job... if the crank is locked at TDC and I check the cams with the P253 timing tool the cams are timed with the crank as well because the crankshaft is at TDC...correct? Another words there isn't a procedure for checking the crank with the cams. Thanks V

• Moderators
2 hours ago, vza said:

Hi All,99 Boxster. In removing Flywheel do I need to use a flywheel lock if I'm locking the crankshaft at TDC? And...to check the timing after cam cover removal and IMS job... if the crank is locked at TDC and I check the cams with the P253 timing tool the cams are timed with the crank as well because the crankshaft is at TDC...correct? Another words there isn't a procedure for checking the crank with the cams. Thanks V

Where to begin..........  Yes, you should lock the flywheel when removing it, even though the crank is locked at the pulley end.  The front crank locking pin is only 5/16 in diameter, and inserts into an alloy boss on the engine cases, so the torque to loosen the flywheel bolts could damage the pin or boss.  Lock the flywheel end before starting.

The “cam allocation” procedure to retime the cams to the engine runs some 12-14 pages in the service manual, so I would suggest you need to get access to this information before starting this project.  We have often been brought cars where the owner’s thought they knew what they were doing, but really didn’t.  The result of a small error in this process can have catastrophic results on the engine, so you need to completely understand the process and tooling required before even starting this process.

Good luck.

Ok thanks, I have the Bentley manual \ 101 projects...read a lot diy at pelican and thought I had it straight in my head. Can you point me in the direction to a serv manual, the Porsche manuals are more than half I paid for the car...The work I'm doing is the IMS, RMS and solenoid replacement on bank 2 and was inquiring about timing as to check that it wasn't lost after my work was complete. Thanks again for responding any additional input would be appreciated. Vin

• Moderators
14 hours ago, vza said:

Ok thanks, I have the Bentley manual \ 101 projects...read a lot diy at pelican and thought I had it straight in my head. Can you point me in the direction to a serv manual, the Porsche manuals are more than half I paid for the car...The work I'm doing is the IMS, RMS and solenoid replacement on bank 2 and was inquiring about timing as to check that it wasn't lost after my work was complete. Thanks again for responding any additional input would be appreciated. Vin

The only source for the service manuals is the factory, but they stopped printing them over a decade ago.  You can still find the 13 volume three ring binder sets running around on the internet for reasonable prices:

1997-2004_Boxster.jpg