Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Crank but no fire ***SOLVED***

All voltages on MFI/Start Lock/Ignition/Fuel Pump relays seem to make sense.

I also double checked all fuses, both in the kick panel and the main current distribution box.

Next is to check Fuel Pressure -- I didn't have the right connector for the kit I bought (murphy's law).

Will also check all crimped supply connections for a potential loose wire.  Didn't notice anything from before.

I have not swapped ignition switch yet.

But as I have assembled and disassembled over the debug, the starting even while jumping was getting worse, 

and not will not start at all -- but the car still cranks fine.

Mike

Um, sounds more like fuel pressure to me. Still no tach bounce? Have you tried the waekon tester again? If there are sparks but still not fired up, it's very likely fuel related.

If no sparks, given you have the correct voltage on the start lock relay (means immo and DME are happy) and no code, the only thing I can think of is CPS related.

Read the tea leaves wrong -- got a fuel pressure gauge on the car this morning.

No fuel pressure KEON or during Cranking.

I have a fuel bypass switch to empty the fuel tank.  With that switch i get nearly 4 bar.  So the fuel pump is good.

I was getting 12v on 30, 85, and 86 with 87 as 0v on the fuel pump relay.   But I was reading that incorrectly when I said things were good.

With the switch, I get ~12v on pin 87, and the fuel pump runs.

I ran out of time -- but now I need to go back and revisit some assumptions and revert back to the original DME and 

recollect some data.

Mike

Edited by txhokie4life

I still haven't found a car with coil on plug that I can access to test on.  So I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

I do note that if the pump even came on for a second -- it would pressurize the gauge and it would hold for awhile -- and this is not happening.

Wish I could querry the DME and have it tell me what it thinks is going on.

Mike

Yes, even running for one second it would produce fuel pressure.

Can you tell if the DME activates the start lock relay while cranking? If so, the DME and immo are happy. Of course it still needs the on-going CPS signal to activate the coils/injectors/fuel pump.

4 hours ago, Ahsai said:

Yes, even running for one second it would produce fuel pressure.

Can you tell if the DME activates the start lock relay while cranking? If so, the DME and immo are happy. Of course it still needs the on-going CPS signal to activate the coils/injectors/fuel pump.

The StartLock relay is hardwired to VSS.  I might have to figure out if I can tap into the loom to observe the exact signal.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being offline -- 

I had several beach homes in the line of fire of Hurricane Michael -- so I have been a bit preoccupied.

I did get the DME sent off and tested -- and its fine -- for good measure -- I had the immobilizer delete performed (it wasn't cheap -- but its a race car and I wanted

to in theory reduce the source of other potential issues).

I didn't get a chance to check pin 66 before I shipped it off.

I did put the DME back in post modification -- no joy.  No fuel pressure, and when I do do the fuel pump bypass, I get fuel pressure, but no start.

I'm headed back out tonite to continue debugging.

While I replaced the CPS -- I have not seen tach bounce while trying to start.  I don't know how subtle the bounce would be -- on my old 944, it was fairly obvious.

I'm tempted to try yet another CPS, they're not THAT hard to swap out.

This is where I wish I had not sold my Boxster S -- I could pull the fuel pump relay -- and see just how much the tach bounced.

Mike

It's entirely possible you have a wiring issue. There are 3 connections - the sensor plug, the X59 connector in the engine bay and the DME connector. When the senor is unplugged, you may want to check for continuity between the sensor socket and the DME pins.

You should also ohm out the sensor.

Edited by Ahsai

Back at it again tonite

no tach bounce, no fuel injector firing (mood light)

hooked up scope to CPS at dme

i get life.

going to noodle on that and game plan for this weekend.

one possibility is how does airbag system normally talk to ecu?

im 99% sure this has been deleted and circumvented... maybe something there has come loose?

mike

D06508FA-54F7-4162-B4D8-B996192451AF.jpeg

Nice meter :)  Is that ~60v peak to peak? The cranking speed looks good. The broken tooth signal is there as well. How about cam sensor signal? 

Your airbag theory sounds interesting. Is the thinking srs issue will make the dme disable the engine? The srs system should talk to the dme on one of the K lines. If I rip out my srs module, I expect the engine should still fire up although I never tried.

No sparks either, right? Can't think of why the dme is not firing. If the cam sensors signal is not there, there should be error codes.

Borrowed the o-scope.  Looks like ~8v p-p

yep missing tooth looks right and decent crank speed.

i haven’t been able to verify no spark ... but I’ve got no fuel injector firing 

I was thinking along the lines if not SRS, maybe crash sensor. Roll over sensor, or something like that.

i’m running out of ideas....

Need to crawl through schematics some more.

i guess my only saving grace to my pride is this is proving to be a royal pita and has many folks stunped

mike

1 hour ago, txhokie4life said:

Borrowed the o-scope.  Looks like ~8v p-p

yep missing tooth looks right and decent crank speed.

i haven’t been able to verify no spark ... but I’ve got no fuel injector firing 

I was thinking along the lines if not SRS, maybe crash sensor. Roll over sensor, or something like that.

i’m running out of ideas....

Need to crawl through schematics some more.

i guess my only saving grace to my pride is this is proving to be a royal pita and has many folks stunped

mike

I thought it was ~8v p-p too but the scope indicates a 10:1 probe is used.

Crash/roll sensor makes sense. If no fuel injector firing, there will likely be no sparks too.

Can you scan the SRS system for fault codes?

2 hours ago, Ahsai said:

I thought it was ~8v p-p too but the scope indicates a 10:1 probe is used.

Crash/roll sensor makes sense. If no fuel injector firing, there will likely be no sparks too.

Can you scan the SRS system for fault codes?

Not sure the car still has the SRS (since it's a spec boxter)  --- I'll need to drag the Durametric back out and see what I can talk to -- I did at one point, but I've forgotten.

Looking at the schematics -- clutch interlock could come into play as well -- even though the car has been converted to push to start and starter is not controlled by DME.

Will have to check that as well

Edited by txhokie4life

On 11/29/2018 at 9:17 PM, Ahsai said:

Yes, pin 66 as mentioned in one of my posts above. That will tell you if the DME is ready to crank the starter and start the engine.

Pin 66 is =12v, so it’s not happy

Pin 63 remains at 12v, not happy either.

The dme was tested fine, and was programmed/modified to ignore the immob.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Clutch switch is bypassed -- i.e. both wires are tied together -- 

I haven't followed that back to the dme and checked -- but for now, I'm assuming that the wiring is fine.

I'm going to take the DME to a friends Boxster over the holidays and make sure it starts his car.

Mike

5 minutes ago, txhokie4life said:

Clutch switch is bypassed -- i.e. both wires are tied together -- 

I haven't followed that back to the dme and checked -- but for now, I'm assuming that the wiring is fine.

I'm going to take the DME to a friends Boxster over the holidays and make sure it starts his car.

Mike

That's a good idea.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got the street car.

fires up nicely

drop in my hacked dme and it fires up just as quick.

started probing some signals that seem key.

theres one listed as crash

its 2v on good car, 12v on race car.

if I short the race car to gnd via probe light with multimeter in parallel 

it drops to 0v, but won’t start.

set to 2v using variable supply, won’t start

2v is odd value, wondering if that signal is some sort of digital waveform where the ECU is a weak 12v pullup

will grab scope tomorrow