Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil in the coolant!

I just replaced the heater core in my 2000 Boxter S.  A treat, easy to do and not expensive.  BUT when I began to add coolant after the install, I noticed oil in the coolant.

I am new to Porsche, so I need some advice.  Where to start looking, oil cooler head gaskets?  There is no coolant in the oil, Just oil in the coolant.  I was down about a litre of oil.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, GREGG R. said:

I just replaced the heater core in my 2000 Boxter S.  A treat, easy to do and not expensive.  BUT when I began to add coolant after the install, I noticed oil in the coolant.

I am new to Porsche, so I need some advice.  Where to start looking, oil cooler head gaskets?  There is no coolant in the oil, Just oil in the coolant.  I was down about a litre of oil.

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

First of all, these engines never blow head gaskets as the gaskets are multi layer steel and actually stronger than the engine castings.

The most common failure points that could cause this are an oil cooler failure, or a cracked cylinder head, so you have some diagnostic work ahead.  The cooler can be pulled and pressure tested, obviously the cylinder head would require digging deeper.  I would start with a pressure test of the cooling system to see if it holds; if it does not, you need to start digging further.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JFP.  Good advice.  Interesting, I just looked at the oil cooler and found that it is relatively new. there is actually a date on the oil cooler which indicates it was replaced within the last year.  Sooooo, did they replace the oil cooler and not flush the system well enough or is there another problem???  Back to the pressure test I think.

• 1 month later...

agree with JFP that you need to do a pressure test of the cooling system. It's a simple thing to do and you can rent the pressure gauge from autozone or other parts stores.

the other thing to check is to see if coolant is in engine oil by taking out dipstick and have one of two drops of engine oil on a hot exhaust. If it turns to be in white color, there might be coolant in the engine oil.

did you try to use scan tool to see if there is any DTC code?

• 5 months later...

Hint - don't go wild with the pressure because the coolant tank in the trunk can be a little fragile. If you pump up pressure to 13 psi, that should be plenty to find a leak. If the system will not hold that pressure and you can't find where the leak is .report back your results here and we'll try to help more. It is possible that someone put oil in the wrong 'hole' -easily dome by a novice.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Schnell Gelb said:

Hint - don't go wild with the pressure because the coolant tank in the trunk can be a little fragile. If you pump up pressure to 13 psi, that should be plenty to find a leak. If the system will not hold that pressure and you can't find where the leak is .report back your results here and we'll try to help more. It is possible that someone put oil in the wrong 'hole' -easily dome by a novice.

Take the system up to at least 18 PISG, that is where it normally runs, so if anything is gong to fail at that pressure, might as well be in the shop.

For 986 boxsters -  Has anyone got or has put together a list of water/coolant pumps  by brand showing which have metal and which have plastic impellers  ?  It would be useful as  so many here are saying don’t get a replacement with metal impeller . 

Thanks