Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Digital clock in main dash

Background.....     

Have been using until recently Porsche branded battery tender/charger - technically not sure which - plugged into car driver ashtray lighter to keep battery charged.  A number of months ago, the unit at the wall plug seemed to be running warm to the touch so I threw it away as it was pretty old.  Just left the car sitting using once or twice every month or so....  Then I get a Deltran trickle charger and battery seems to be fine and starts right up...  I then get the smart idea to hook up the ring terminal to the battery post so I can just use the quick disconnect.  Well, after that the green light(fully charged) on the charger would never light up so I figured the ring terminal was bad.  Deltran sent me a new one.  In the mean time, I tested the battery and found it low voltage and much older than I had remembered - 6 years.  So I get a new battery and just decide to ditch the Deltran and the ring terminal and maybe ill just drive it more often!!!  I hope.  

So, what I am now noticing is that after the battery switch and all the above, I got into the car and noticed the dash clock to have the wrong time so I reset it.  Week or so later, I get in the car and the time is wrong again.  Thinking I did not set it properly the 1st time, forgot to push the button in - whatever - I reset it again.  Another week or so and today I get in the car and it had the wrong time, 12:00 or something...  I decide to just leave it alone and drive on.  Well, after a few minutes I look at the clock and it had reset itself to the correct time.  What gives?  Any ideas???  Ive never noticed that behavior before.  Tks

So I have not looked in the manual yet.  But tonight I went to the car and when I started it it had the correct time. The after about 15 seconds it changed to,the wrong time. I did find in the pcm setting where I could change the time. By the time I found it though, the clock had reset itself to the correct time. Funny thing is that I’m on central time and the time setting in the pcm was for New York, gmt -5 even though it showed the correct time for my location, Central STD time. New Orleans is gmt -6..  N.O. Is not a choice so I had to pick Mexico. The incorrect time showed. I had to pick Phoenix, gmt -7 to get central time. 

I saw no settings for auto update from nav - but like I said I haven’t check the manual yet. 

I think I figured it out - I actually always changed the clock in the dash when daylight savings came around.  after the time was messed up after battery change I also used the dash to reset and it was changing on me.  Messing around, I was reminded of the reset option in the PCM in which I then had the right time set but the GMT was wrong....  They noticed that the daylight savings was checked - after changing that and setting gmt to -6, alls well with the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my 2008 Cayenne S (Nav & Bose, PCM 2.1) from the dealer a couple of weeks ago after having the battery changed.

Right after I picked it up, sometimes when it starts, the clocks on the dash & “below PCM indicate either the correct or wrong time. When they indicate the wrong time, after driving for 30 seconds to 4 minutes the dash & “below PCM” clocks change to the correct time?

Took the Cayenne back to the dealer to have them look at it. After several days and lots of diagnostic tests, the dealer reports that no system is reporting a problem. All they did was set the correct time zone since it wasn't correctly set when they changed the battery. So they reached out to Porsche NA for help. Porsche NA reported that they have recently started to see the issue with older systems. Something to do with an update of the world wide GPS system? Nothing they can do about it. Now, it has been two weeks since battery replacement/corrected time zone and the clock seems to be working.

After reading a thread on another forum, I looked for the date and it no longer appears in the display! I found the date digging down into the sub menus and it is also wrong…it’s 2/23/00?

Seems like the battery replacement also effected the clock but that was not fixed with the correction of the time zone.

Is your clock at the correct date and properly indicating on the PCM2.1 display?

Thanks for your help.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, Mike_H said:

I picked up my 2008 Cayenne S (Nav & Bose, PCM 2.1) from the dealer a couple of weeks ago after having the battery changed.

Right after I picked it up, sometimes when it starts, the clocks on the dash & “below PCM indicate either the correct or wrong time. When they indicate the wrong time, after driving for 30 seconds to 4 minutes the dash & “below PCM” clocks change to the correct time?

Took the Cayenne back to the dealer to have them look at it. After several days and lots of diagnostic tests, the dealer reports that no system is reporting a problem. All they did was set the correct time zone since it wasn't correctly set when they changed the battery. So they reached out to Porsche NA for help. Porsche NA reported that they have recently started to see the issue with older systems. Something to do with an update of the world wide GPS system? Nothing they can do about it. Now, it has been two weeks since battery replacement/corrected time zone and the clock seems to be working.

After reading a thread on another forum, I looked for the date and it no longer appears in the display! I found the date digging down into the sub menus and it is also wrong…it’s 2/23/00?

Seems like the battery replacement also effected the clock but that was not fixed with the correction of the time zone.

Is your clock at the correct date and properly indicating on the PCM2.1 display?

Thanks for your help.

yes.  all good now.