Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help with PCM3 and switching to HFP bluetooth

I just bought a 2010 Carrera S and I am unable to connect my iphone to the bluetooth.  My PCM 3 is running V.1.47.  My buildsheet does not indicate any bluetooth options, but I definitely have bluetooth (I can turn bluetooth on and off).  However, I am still unable to connect.  The first time I try to connect an iphone (tried mine and my wife's), I can see the PCM connection on my iphone and I can enter the code to create the connection.  However,  after entering the code it says connection unsuccessful.  The phone does not appear on the list of devices on my PCM, but PCM is listed as an unconnected bluetooth option on my list of BT networks. Once I "forget" the network on my iphone, I cannot ever get PCM to appear on my phone again (not even to enter the code as I did the first time).

I suspect it is because the bluetooth is set to sim access profile (SAP), but my build sheet doesn't have the "telephone module-666" option which I thought was the only way to get SAP.  Anyway, I assumed the issue was that my PCM was stuck on SAP and went to the dealership to have them switch my bluetooth to HFP.

Looking around on the forums, I found 2 ways to address the issue: (1) have the dealership "switch" the PCM from SAP to HFP; or (2) upgrade the PCM firmware from v1.47 to v2.24, which allows the PCM to automatically switch to HFP.    

When I got to the dealership, they were unfamiliar with the issue but I let them know about the two above options.  They were unable to get either one to work, so I am hoping someone can review what they did and help point them in the right direction.

Switching from SAP to HFP

I've seen a ton of posts referencing this option, but none explaining exactly how it is done.  The tech at the dealership showed me the options on his laptop.  I could see that bluetooth was listed as "installed," but something related to telephone was listed as "off" (I don't recall if it said telephone module or phone preparation or something else") but there was no way to select "on." We didn't see anything that would allow for a "switch" to HFP.  

Does anyone know the specific steps to switch (like which subsection in Porsche's diag software and exactly which items to select and change)?

Upgrading firmware

Eventually we gave up trying to "switch" to HFP and tried to upgrade the software.  The dealership found an old v2.24 disc (but did not have the maps disc that I understand is needed once the firmware is upgraded).  They tried to install the disc but said they received an error twice.  The error had a reference to v1.7.  I think it was trying to require an intermediate upgrade to v1.7 before upgrading to v2.24.  However, I was under the impression that you could upgrade to 2.24 directly from 1.47.  Anyone encounter this issue?

Anyone have any insights into these issues?

I think you need option 666 or 619 for Bluetooth phone. 619 can be retrofitted, which is less expensive than 666. By the way, you can't update the system to v2.24 in one step.  You have to update to v2.23 first. Your dealer should know this.  I would try to find one who knows what they are doing.

The 619 Mobile phone preparation retrofit involves fitting an additional microphone and entering an activation code for the Bluetooth using a PIWIS tester.

Edited by Richard Hamilton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1