Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Jacking up 996 4S front

Hi,

I have placed the jack many times at the area marked with the yellow arrow as per Pelican parts proposal. My problem is, that it is alway tricky to put a jack stand under the factory lifting points (green arrow) at the same time, since the jack is still in the way!

It would be much easier for me to lift more behind (e.g. red circle), but I am not sure, if this is strong enough (high strength steel?).

Has somebody tried to lift there? I am a afraid to damage the under car.

Thanks a lot!

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-21 um 10.12.06.jpg

Don't lift at the front. Lift at the rear jacking point and the front will come up too.  That's how it works with my C2 and I have not heard anything different about the c4.

Edited by wyovino

Thanks for your reply! 

When lifting at the rear jacking point, the car (front and rear) comes up only on one side.

With the jacking point in the pic both the left and right front side come up together, which is much more comfortable.

However the point in question (red circle) would make it again easier, since you do not block the way for the jack stand.

Therefore my question, if it is safe.

Edited by thormann

I'd be worried.

Look at Liftbars. They are very safe, stable, and quick to use. Go to liftbars.com and see for yourself.

They lock into the liftpoint holes and good jackstands cradle the liftbars and together they "lock" into position making it a very stable condition. Last I checked they're only a few hundred shipped.

It only takes me a couple minutes to put my car on jackstands, just a couple. It would be less if I could pick up my lift and run to the other side like those guys do in Nascar pit stops.

Edited by ttocs

Thanks again. 

The liftbars are interesting when lifting the entire vehicle. However, for a quick lift at the front not convenient.

Actually the point marked with the yellow arrow ist strong enough and works very good. You only have to watch that the jack is not in the way to put the jack stand under the factory point. This can be done when you use the jack a bit "diagonal".

If the red circled point would be usable, you could put the jack more or less "blind" and straight under the car.I am not sure, but as per manual this should be also a carrying part made of high strenght steel. 

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-23 um 14.35.01.jpg

I just gotta say, if you're only lifting one corner "quickly", jacking at the proper liftpoint and putting a stand under the car elsewhere for safety seems like the way to go if you only need the corner up for a few minutes. But as soon as two jacking points are needed and more time under the car, safety is jeopardized if the stands are not able to restrict lateral movement. It's the possible/likely sliding off of the first stand while jacking at the second point that's scary. I know people do it all the time, I tried it as well the first time I wanted to lift the front of the car, but it's not stable unless the car and stand(s) are "locked" together is such a way as to minimize lateral movement.

And, rolling the jack under the car "blind" is fraught with possible nastiness. Gotta watch out for coolant lines.

There are modifications some have made to jackstand heads by adding a "pin" that engages the liftpoint hole on our cars. I considered this, but when the cost/time analysis plus the wear and tear of less-approved undercarriage jacking points were added together in my head, the $290 I spent (shipped) on the Liftbars was well worth it (the cost is more now, still worth it).

There are nifty jackstands available that the floorjack lifts directly. Granted they cost more than Liftbars, but if only raising one or two corners of the car they are probably the quickest way to do it. As soon as you get to the height you need, slip in the lock pin and you're done.

Finally, I use the Liftbars even when just cleaning the wheels because to me they're quick to use, and I only need to jack once per side.

"Blind" was more a figure, of course, you need feeling for that. Coolant lines are much more to the middle of the car.

13 hours ago, ttocs said:

It's the possible/likely sliding off of the first stand while jacking at the second point that's scary.

Advantage of my described method is, that you can put both jack stands under the factory points at the same time with only one lift! The car stands stable like a rock. Doesn´t matter if use the yellow or red marked point, but the red would make it easier?

Edited by thormann

the tire shop I have used for my C4$ places 2 hydraulic jacks at front, and then at rear.

Its really fast.  the jacks are usually in place when I turn around to look after getting out of the car.  I think the points are under the shocks.

Porsche was famous for the side lift jack.  back in the day there was a special tool that fit in the jack placement fittings that allowed a standard garage jack to be used to lift the side of the car.  most German car garages had one or two on hand.  I bought one and kept it with the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like yellow arrowed area is double skinned (note seam visible where the overlap is). And red circle is further back than the double skin section, the floorpan will bend up if you jack on this imho. 

Though you could jack on red circle if you use a spreader plank of ply, longitudinally along that frame rail which yellow arrow & red circle are both on..