Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSM?Car wont move in drive or reverse 2006 cayenne S

Car feels like the emergency brake is on but its not.Shifts into drive and reverse but will not move rear wheels.Front wheels do move both in drive and reverse...PSM warning light on pressing PSM button does not turn it off.. Sometimes feel a loud grinding pull and car moves a couple inches when trying to drive it...anything besides e-brake that could lock up rear wheels only?Any help appreciated!

Edited by roberta berks

First of all, try disconnecting the battery to see if it changes anything. 

If you jack up the car and have all 4 wheels off the pavement(safely), do the rear wheels move by hand in neutral? 

Check the driveshaft, rear diff while you have the wheels off the ground.

Are the calipers stuck? Take off the calipers to see if the problem still there. 

Maybe parking brake cable not releasing at all. According to a parts diagram, parking brake shoes are inside the rear brake rotors. If the parking brake is ON, it's really hard to remove rear rotors. So if you already have the rear calipers off from the previous step, then try taking off the rear rotors and inspect the operation of parking brake.

GL

• Thanks 1

Thanks..battery disconnect no change..car is on stands front wheels turn in neutral, drive and reverse with car running ..rears do not move.. if tranny is moving the front wheels and shifting correctly does this isolate e brake only?wiggled and pulled on e brake at rotors no change..moved brake pads off rotors no change..would any sensor,electrical or psm problem cause a rear wheel lock up like this?car sat for many months but drove fine has new battery..

Edited by roberta berks

3 hours ago, Nurbek I said:

First of all, try disconnecting the battery to see if it changes anything. 

If you jack up the car and have all 4 wheels off the pavement(safely), do the rear wheels move by hand in neutral? 

Check the driveshaft, rear diff while you have the wheels off the ground.

Are the calipers stuck? Take off the calipers to see if the problem still there. 

Maybe parking brake cable not releasing at all. According to a parts diagram, parking brake shoes are inside the rear brake rotors. If the parking brake is ON, it's really hard to remove rear rotors. So if you already have the rear calipers off from the previous step, then try taking off the rear rotors and inspect the operation of parking brake.

GL

Thanks..What would you check on rear diff and driveshaft?they look good..car has 45k miles..

14 hours ago, roberta berks said:

Thanks..battery disconnect no change..car is on stands front wheels turn in neutral, drive and reverse with car running ..rears do not move.. if tranny is moving the front wheels and shifting correctly does this isolate e brake only?wiggled and pulled on e brake at rotors no change..moved brake pads off rotors no change..would any sensor,electrical or psm problem cause a rear wheel lock up like this?car sat for many months but drove fine has new battery..

Yes, it is most likely e-brake if we apply the Occam's razor theory. Brake shoes or any related mechanism might be rusted and not releasing fully, if the car sat for long with the e-brake engaged.

If the car was working fine before, then there is a low chance of transmission not sending the power to the rear or psm err. I am pretty sure PSM works thru via calipers, so if the pads are not sticking, then that's not a problem.

The long way to verify that e-brake is the issue is to take off the rear calipers, then rear rotors. If the rear wheels move freely after that, then e-brake is the issue. 

If you don't want to take off the rotors or calipers, you can try engaging/disengaging the parking brake few times, hit the top hat of the rotors with rubber mallet, while trying to move the rotor by hand. You can actually feel if it's parking brake issue if you listen to around the back of the rotor while you try to move the rotor back n forth with hand. 

You can spray some brake cleaner to the inside of the rotor top hat thru the holes. You can stick a screwdriver through the 5mm hole and rotate the parking brake adjuster to release some tension. You can see this pelican diy article's last three pics to see what I mean. 

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-Cayenne/19-BRAKES-Rear_Brake_Rotor_Replacement/19-BRAKES-Rear_Brake_Rotor_Replacement.htm

Hope that helps. Keep up updated.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nurbek I said:

Yes, it is most likely e-brake if we apply the Occam's razor theory. Brake shoes or any related mechanism might be rusted and not releasing fully, if the car sat for long with the e-brake engaged.

If the car was working fine before, then there is a low chance of transmission not sending the power to the rear or psm err. I am pretty sure PSM works thru via calipers, so if the pads are not sticking, then that's not a problem.

The long way to verify that e-brake is the issue is to take off the rear calipers, then rear rotors. If the rear wheels move freely after that, then e-brake is the issue. 

If you don't want to take off the rotors or calipers, you can try engaging/disengaging the parking brake few times, hit the top hat of the rotors with rubber mallet, while trying to move the rotor by hand. You can actually feel if it's parking brake issue if you listen to around the back of the rotor while you try to move the rotor back n forth with hand. 

You can spray some brake cleaner to the inside of the rotor top hat thru the holes. You can stick a screwdriver through the 5mm hole and rotate the parking brake adjuster to release some tension. You can see this pelican diy article's last three pics to see what I mean. 

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-Cayenne/19-BRAKES-Rear_Brake_Rotor_Replacement/19-BRAKES-Rear_Brake_Rotor_Replacement.htm

Hope that helps. Keep up updated.

Thanks helps a lot..well I believe its the e brake shoes holding on rotor..didn't remove caliper just pushed out pads..but cant take off 5mm triple bolt its stripped..took off the other t50 torx on rotor and now the rear drive shafts are spinning and rotor is staying put..Can I cut this e brake somewhere or pull it out of the rotor from the back to release it from rotor?(I know its not the right thing to do just temporarily)dont need it anyway..thanks much

Edited by roberta berks

6 hours ago, roberta berks said:

Thanks helps a lot..well I believe its the e brake shoes holding on rotor..didn't remove caliper just pushed out pads..but cant take off 5mm triple bolt its stripped..took off the other t50 torx on rotor and now the rear drive shafts are spinning and rotor is staying put..Can I cut this e brake somewhere or pull it out of the rotor from the back to release it from rotor?(I know its not the right thing to do just temporarily)dont need it anyway..thanks much

Don't cut anything, especially the e-brake cable. Trust me, it is a major pain in the rear to put a new one. Besides, cutting won't do anything in your case as it's the brake shoes. 

You have 2 options:

A) Spray a tons of penetrating fluid like pb blaster all around the inside thru the lug nut holes. While its doing its thing, go out and buy a good reverse drill bit extractor kit. Come back and drill out the stripped bolt, then you can try to release the tension on the brake shoes by turning the adjuster.  Then, to gain some leverage, install the lug nuts back and you can use a long breaker bar to try to move the rotor clockwise/couterclockwise. Did a quick drawing to illustrate my point. 

B) If you tried A and it still doesn't budge, then you can try this. There are couple bolts that hold the brake shoes to the brake shield, should be accessible from the back. Pull, turn 90 degrees, release. You can see #5 in this diagram.http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=9PA-07-08&section=603-05

After that, you need to take off the rotor so that loose parts don't dangle around inside the rotor. 

If both A and B doesn't work, then there is always a big hammer. Take off the caliper, then use the big hammer to try to remove the rotor. 

Untitled.png

Edited by Nurbek I
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kaizaad Panthaki said:

Guys I've got the same problem with my car. I live in Mumbai, India. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Please post a video of the issue if you can.

Post the details of the problem, like when it started, what have you tried, etc. 

Update..after pb blastering rotors overnight took off the very tight calipers today..rotors stuck,wouldn't budge..took a pry bar and popped them off..e brake was turned all the way out in drum of rotor. clicked the adjustment pin all the way down to compress it..I could care less about ever using the ebrake so no adjustment clicks back ..washed and brake cleaned everything up..wheels spin now..Thank you Nurbek l..

Edited by roberta berks

1 hour ago, roberta berks said:

Update..after pb blastering rotors overnight took off the very tight calipers today..rotors stuck,wouldn't budge..took a old school 3 foot long pry bar from Chi-town and popped them off..e brake was turned all the way out in drum of rotor..Like a ghost did it..I clicked the adjustment pin all the way down to compress it..I could care less about ever using the ebrake so no adjustment clicks back ..washed and brake cleaned everything up..heard a gremlin die in there..put back together and my rear wheels spin like magic.. ABS light went on though : O...next on to the non working PCM..Thank you Nurbek l..

Excellent, I am glad that you got it sorted out! 

"Driving" the car while all 4 wheels off the ground usually triggers bunch of errors. 

PCM light might go away after some driving on its own if it was working before.

Edited by Nurbek I

PCM seemed to stop working with old low voltage battery ..new battery 2 months ago and PCM and ac/heat blower controls under PCM dont work either just blank..no aux battery in trunk..Loren mentioned maybe some reprogramming needed..keys dont operate anything either with new batterys in keys..no kessy..

Makes sense being off the ground errors though..will post if any changes while driven on hard pavement.. thanks again for the great help!