Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adjusting the Hood Latch Mechanism

"Oh well. By the way, if you are having trouble closing yours, it's a simple solution. You have the latch mechanism mis-aligned. Your catch is rubbing on the sides of the slots in the latch. Just loosen the 2 screws under the carpet cover and move the latch to the left or right and up or down as needed. You can use a flashlight and look how it will align when it's almost closed."

Newbie owner here (just drove my 2000 Carrera 2 Cab back from CA, this weekend but that's another post). When you say the latch mechanism is mis-aligned, what is the proper alignment before you tighten back the screws? Thanks guys, awesome board!

Edited by SteveNacc

• 1 year later...
Tim,

what year is it? I have a 99 and went through the same this past winter. Got a new part at the dealer and replaced it. They told me they keep lots of them in stock, very common problem with the spring that is coiled in there. It is a very easy swap.

Once I took off the old one and fiddle with it, was able to bend the spring back to a very strong snap. So probably won't be swaping it again but reusing the old one next time. Good luck

Izzy

I'm dealing with the same issue on my 04 C4S. I checked the spring and all looks good, but it just can't overcome the weight of the hood (trunk) itself. I have to pry it open with my fingers to get to the release latch. Can you remember how you bent the spring back so that it was stronger? I don't see much room to work around it, but am eager to try anything. Funny, a '77 Toyota never had this problem. hmmf!

BTW, I did try moving the mechanism to different locations in case it was an alignment issue, but it's exactly the same, if not worse, in different locations.

Edited by jimmyw71

Thanks for the help here - I managed to get the end of the spring inserted back into the hole for my 2000.

But I do wonder how long before it happens again? Will some white lithium grease help prevent it from happening again, or will that make it easier to slip out of the hole? (Yes, I know, lube the coil, not the end).

\chuckb

Thanks for the help here - I managed to get the end of the spring inserted back into the hole for my 2000.

But I do wonder how long before it happens again? Will some white lithium grease help prevent it from happening again, or will that make it easier to slip out of the hole? (Yes, I know, lube the coil, not the end).

\chuckb

I have the opposite issue -- I can't get the thing closed without a lot of effort -- can this be addressed similarly?

Is this an alignment or internal friction issue.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what happen on mine. About 2 weeks ago, I closed the hood and it cannot be open anymore. I tried to pull the release switch located next to the driver seat even heard a sound that sounds like the cable was releasing but the hood just won't pop. This monday after a car wash, the hood opens while the car parked in the driveway but then later on it couldn't open again.

After searching on the web and got some article about this hood issue, I got home early from work last night thought to give it shot of this method by pull the hood while having someone pull the electric switch but no luck. So I thought to pull the car to the driveway as this was how the hood open the other day (maybe is the parking angle?) before I move forward to pull the metal cable in the passenger side wheel well and guess what? The hood opens right when I pull the switch. How weird??

I have then removed the latch last night, everything was in placed and had lubricated. Earlier this afternoon, I have reinstalled the latch and had my friend help to pull the release switch make sure the cable does pull and the lock moves. After I close the hood and it doesn't open again??

Would it be able to solve the issue if I just replace with a new latch or could something else be wrong? When I checked the latch last night and it seems to work just fine and in place even the springs.

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled mine out and have some questions as the photos showed below.

Photo 1. When I pushed the latch down with a screw driver, it seem to be closed.

Photo 2. When let go the screw driver or press the release switch, seems like the latch did not open all the way?

Photo 3. How the latch look after push a bit manually

Is this something normal or means the cable is loose?

• Admin

I seem to find the problem on my hood latch. When the latch engaged, it didn't seem the release cable pull far enough to release the hood. I wonder if there any ways to adjust the cable?

No not really. If the cable is stretched or worn it should be replaced (before it locks you out).

• 1 month later...

My front hood had been stuck closed for a while. Pulling on the regular lever didn't produce the normal release, and no matter how hard I pulled it up, it wouldn't open.

I took the front passenger wheel off this weekend, removed the well lining, and found the emergency release cable. After a few hard yanks on that, I was able to get my fingers under the hood, and open it. One of the problems, I believe, was that the hood was not being raised at all upon release of the catch.

I've now got the latch out, but can't really see what is wrong with it. Possibly the spring does not have the right tension. Can anyone tell from the pictures what could be wrong with it? I know, that sounds a little silly, and I'm sure I'll have to take it into my local parts place for them to look at. I don't really want to spend $150 to replace a part that (at least on the surface) looks to have very little wrong with it...

Thanks,

-James.

post-20264-127350653981_thumb.jpgpost-20264-127350653171_thumb.jpgpost-20264-12735065235_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamesgood72

• 3 months later...

Ok, I'm a new 1999 996 owner and this website has been invaluable!!

I'm having this same issue and I took the latch out, the spring was in the little hole and in the catch arm. It seems like the spring doesn't have enough tension. How can this be fixed? I used some LI grease on the spring but that didn't help either. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

• 3 years later...

I have been fighting with a hard to open front trunk on my 2000 Boxster S. Last week the Bowden cable snapped about an inch from the lever when I pulled the handle to open the front trunk. I have got a new cable assembly, and I have got the hood latch off and the handles inside the cockpit off, but I have been unable to find a procedure on how to replace the whole Bowden cable (part #11 on this diagram: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=986-97-04&section=803-00 on the "up to year 00" line, part # 99651101701)

I have got the Bentley manual, the 101Projects book, and even a CD I bought with a bunch of service manuals in PDF format, but I have been unable to find a procedure to replace this cable. Does anyone know what all I have to take off in order to gain access, and from what side I install the cable?

Thanks!

Steve

When closing the frunk, do not press on the emblem after dropping it down from about 12". Rather put the palms of your hand on both sides of the emblem then press down till it latches. Pressure on the emblem will produce a dent over time.

• 9 months later...

Here is what happen on mine. About 2 weeks ago, I closed the hood and it cannot be open anymore. I tried to pull the release switch located next to the driver seat even heard a sound that sounds like the cable was releasing but the hood just won't pop. This monday after a car wash, the hood opens while the car parked in the driveway but then later on it couldn't open again. After searching on the web and got some article about this hood issue, I got home early from work last night thought to give it shot of this method by pull the hood while having someone pull the electric switch but no luck. So I thought to pull the car to the driveway as this was how the hood open the other day (maybe is the parking angle?) before I move forward to pull the metal cable in the passenger side wheel well and guess what? The hood opens right when I pull the switch. How weird?? I have then removed the latch last night, everything was in placed and had lubricated. Earlier this afternoon, I have reinstalled the latch and had my friend help to pull the release switch make sure the cable does pull and the lock moves. After I close the hood and it doesn't open again?? Would it be able to solve the issue if I just replace with a new latch or could something else be wrong? When I checked the latch last night and it seems to work just fine and in place even the springs.

I have this exact same problem in my 2001 996. After replacing the latch with no change, I think it could be the latch motor by the drivers headlight that is weak and not pulling the release cable far enough to pop the latch mechanism. I have ordered a replacement motor and hopefully that will fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

So my front trunk latch is fixed - it was the actuator. I got a replacement from Suncoast for around $60 and it opens every time now.

Just need to bolt in the new air oil separator now...

I have this exact same problem in my 2001 996. After replacing the latch with no change, I think it could be the latch motor by the drivers headlight that is weak and not pulling the release cable far enough to pop the latch mechanism. I have ordered a replacement motor and hopefully that will fix it.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit confused to what the fix diy is? I have a 2001 996 cab 2

When closing the front bonnet its a bit difficult to close as if something is misaligned or blocking it

I don't dare dropping it from any height, I just have to place and push with some significant force. Any suggestions?