Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing rear fender liner on rear wheels

I need to remove the rear fender liners on my rear wheels to clean behind them. The front fender liners on the rear wheels have just two nuts, but it looks like the rear fender liners are somehow attached to the rear bumper cover. Is there a way to take out the liners without removing the rear bumper cover?

Thanks.

When I did rear bumper cover and the back half of the rear fender liners it only took about 30 minutes. It took about the same to put back on.

It is hard to know exactly, since I also removed the license plate(unneccesary to remove), the rear bumper, muffler heat shield, etc.

Removing the rear bumper cover is a LOT easiler than I expected.

These are the instructions I used (from a search on this site for)

r ear bumper cover

Exhaust R&R Instructions from PPBB archives

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showthr...ew=&sb=&o=&vc=1

do steps 1-5

note on step 1:

The little plastic rivet thingies on the raised spoiler cost about 20 cents each and my (small) dealer had them in stock. Even if you lose the inside, they will pretty much stay in position and hold your spoiler lip on for a week or more.

note on step 3:

these are hex headed capscrews (about 8-9mm) and are recessed so that a L-shaped hex wrench will work. There really isn't enough room to fit a socket wrench down there.

Edited by adsach

• 12 years later...

Super old thread but does anyone know the part number of the 1" or so rubber piece that covers up a gap about half-way up the liner on the rears?  The gap runs parallel to the ground and is right above the fish gill looking slits in the liner.  

My car is missing this rubber trim on the driver's side and without this piece I'm afraid all sorts of spray/dirt/etc. is going to end up in inside the rear bumper skin and possibly in through the trunk vent, which is now missing the foam cover (emergency locked trunk entry episode - ugh).  

Thanks in advance.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Canada-Eh said:

Super old thread but does anyone know the part number of the 1" or so rubber piece that covers up a gap about half-way up the liner on the rears?  The gap runs parallel to the ground and is right above the fish gill looking slits in the liner.  

My car is missing this rubber trim on the driver's side and without this piece I'm afraid all sorts of spray/dirt/etc. is going to end up in inside the rear bumper skin and possibly in through the trunk vent, which is now missing the foam cover (emergency locked trunk entry episode - ugh).  

Thanks in advance.

When asking for part numbers it is best if you give us the exact model and year of your car.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:34 AM, Loren said:

When asking for part numbers it is best if you give us the exact model and year of your car.

Oops, sorry about that:  1999 986    I found this PET page: https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/986_USA_KATALOG.pdf  but sadly on page 209 it shows the wheel-housing liner (996 504 203 06) but not this rubber gasket.  Maybe it comes with the liner, I'll see what the Googles has to say.  Best