Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic Transmission Service

Tiptronic Transmission Service

The Tiptronic transmission has a special tool for fluid. First you have to purchase the tool (expensive) or make one (inexpensive). The tool is the V.A.G.1924, runs about $300. You need the following tools and parts to start: 1. ATF fill tool 2. 7 (US) Quarts of Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF 3. Torque wrench for 60 ft lbs 4. Torque wrench for 7.5 ft lbs (90 in lbs) 5. 17 mm allen bit 6. 8 mm allen bit 7. Torx 27 bit 8. Temperature meter with probe.

Edited by Izzy

• 1 year later...

Hi,

That fluid is absolutely not recommended for the Tiptronic S! I contacted ZF-Getrieb directly with this question and their reply was that only ESSO ATF LT 71141 was the proper Fluid to use. Also, that use of other Fluids can accelerate wear to the Clutches. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

• 2 years later...

The instructions look good.... I have something to add. I think the instructions above are for the 99-01' 996 911's because I just put my 2002 911 up on a lift and the Tiptronic S transmission/pan looks nothing like in the pictures. Also, the fill and drain hole bolts on mine were both just 6mm.

Another thing to note; with the car off/not running, when you remove the FILL bolt, tranny fluid starts gushing out, yeah, it comes out the FILL hole!!! I did not expect this. So if you are thinking of "topping of your tranny" fluid like I was, make sure to have the car on/running to when you try to add the fluid.

The ESSO ATF LT 71141 fluid is for 1999-2001 911 tiptronic trannies, ATF 3353 Plus fluid is for 2002-2005 trannies.

-Larez2

Edited by larez2

• 3 weeks later...

Changed my fluid on my 996 MY03 C2. Everyone told me not to... "you only have 13,600 miles!". What came out of the transmission was barely red and full of brown suspended matter (old, burnt, and decayed ATF fluid). The new fluid is pink/red and completely transparent... I am glad I did not wait... Obviously, the fluid goes bad from sitting over the years. BTW, I purchased the "Porsche charging hose" for MY02 and newer 996. This is the best way to refill the tranny. $40 from Sunset Imports! I placed the charging hose on the bug sprayer setup and presto....easy to refill your tranny! I used Porsche approved Fuchs ATF 3353 plus (Titan) I found at Pelican Parts. AND, it is very important to note that the overflow plug needs to be put back BEFORE you turn off the engine...or glup...glup...glup... you will waste a liter of fluid! :opost-44743-1250728494_thumb.jpg

Edited by PILFILR

• 2 months later...
The instructions look good.... I have something to add. I think the instructions above are for the 99-01' 996 911's because I just put my 2002 911 up on a lift and the Tiptronic S transmission/pan looks nothing like in the pictures. Also, the fill and drain hole bolts on mine were both just 6mm.

Another thing to note; with the car off/not running, when you remove the FILL bolt, tranny fluid starts gushing out, yeah, it comes out the FILL hole!!! I did not expect this. So if you are thinking of "topping of your tranny" fluid like I was, make sure to have the car on/running to when you try to add the fluid.

The ESSO ATF LT 71141 fluid is for 1999-2001 911 tiptronic trannies, ATF 3353 Plus fluid is for 2002-2005 trannies.

-Larez2

Where is the fill hole located???

-Larez2

Where is the fill hole located???

See the original posters picture with the copper tube sticking out the bottom?

Unless you are talking about the final drive fill bolt -- than that is just in front of the drive axel on the passenger side.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, my car smoked a little when I started it, then as I drove off I noticed the car did not want to shift manually (i.e. using the thumb shifters.) I parked the car in front of Autozone and noticed more smoke appear after the engine was shut off and reddish brown fluid begin to accumulate underneath the car. The engine did not overheat and given the problems with the transmission I would assume that the smoke and red liquid was transmission fluid leaking/burning. I've noticed a gradual decrease in the performance of the transmission since I bought the car used about four months ago.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether this is symptonmatic of a transmission needing to be replaced or maybe just the gasket blowing? Should I try a refill and gasket replacement first before I assume the transmission is shot? Or would that just be a waste of time/money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone know any good indy Porsche shops that can rebuild a Transmission in Southern California? Thanks

1998 Boxster 2.1L Tiptronic 137k

Edited by carlosvquezada

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yesterday, my car smoked a little when I started it, then as I drove off I noticed the car did not want to shift manually (i.e. using the thumb shifters.) I parked the car in front of Autozone and noticed more smoke appear after the engine was shut off and reddish brown fluid begin to accumulate underneath the car. The engine did not overheat and given the problems with the transmission I would assume that the smoke and red liquid was transmission fluid leaking/burning. I've noticed a gradual decrease in the performance of the transmission since I bought the car used about four months ago.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether this is symptonmatic of a transmission needing to be replaced or maybe just the gasket blowing? Should I try a refill and gasket replacement first before I assume the transmission is shot? Or would that just be a waste of time/money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone know any good indy Porsche shops that can rebuild a Transmission in Southern California? Thanks

1998 Boxster 2.1L Tiptronic 137k

Give Jack a call at Scientific Automotive in Pasadena; TOP SHELF Porsche inderpendent in business for 30 years +. Tell him I recommended you. His number is 626.795.7018

Denny Valdez

Changed my fluid on my 996 MY03 C2. Everyone told me not to... "you only have 13,600 miles!". What came out of the transmission was barely red and full of brown suspended matter (old, burnt, and decayed ATF fluid). The new fluid is pink/red and completely transparent... I am glad I did not wait... Obviously, the fluid goes bad from sitting over the years. BTW, I purchased the "Porsche charging hose" for MY02 and newer 996. This is the best way to refill the tranny. $40 from Sunset Imports! I placed the charging hose on the bug sprayer setup and presto....easy to refill your tranny! I used Porsche approved Fuchs ATF 3353 plus (Titan) I found at Pelican Parts. AND, it is very important to note that the overflow plug needs to be put back BEFORE you turn off the engine...or glup...glup...glup... you will waste a liter of fluid! :opost-44743-1250728494_thumb.jpg

Your fluid looks like you frequently track the car ? Anyway, my first service on my 996 was today at 33K on the odo. The fluid, pan and magnet was quite clean. I went w/the Porsche OEM fluid p/n# 999 917 547 50 (just under 6 quarts w/filter). The fluid retails out at a whopping $26.53 EACH but what the hell, it's worth it considering what things looked like.

Denny

• 3 weeks later...

This is the support topic for the DIY Tutorial Tiptronic Transmission Service. Please post here if you have any questions or feedback.

when u say run it through all the positions do you mean through the gears 1,2,3,4,5 ( i assume you cant do this with brake on). you must mean park, reverse, drive? also seems like you know what you are doing. are the transmission solenoids easy to get to once pan is off. i plan on upgrading them to give some beef! PN 240 270 00 89 from mercedes

• 6 months later...

Use a good quality torx bit and a T bar or you may round them, then they are very dfficult to remove! Pan filter on 1999 - 2001 is a ZF item, ZF Part no 0501 211 043. Also fitted to some of the VW range. Differential drive shaft drive seals are also a ZF number, also fitted to VWs. VW part number 01L409399 ZF number 0734 319 419. Cheaper than Porsche part and identical.

• 3 months later...
  • Admin

hi, i am still wondering is this service the same for the 2002 996TT, is that what is referred to as the tiptronic S? and again, what is the correct fluid for this trans? , thanks, ahead, kk

Pretty much the same.

Temperature should not be above 40 degrees C.

Porsche approved ATF for your car:

post-1-0-62651400-1316120975_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to overfill the ZF transmission? I left it in drive and filled it until the fluid escaped through the plug Then closed it. I used Izzys DIY, I also didn't get over 35C. In park the fluid was always dripping so i moved it back into drive.I also did the coolant changed with the Uview tool and had the purge clip up or open on the tank.

So not sure if that would affect the temperature as it would not warm up past 35C.

Edited by jayi836

The 5HP19 tiptronic in my 2000 Boxster was working fine until I did a fluid change and then it started slipping 400 miles after the change. It works fine manually up to 3rd gear and slips going into 4th. I checked the fluid level at the 30c and it was less than 1/2 quarts low. I topped in off and it still slips. I used ZF Safeguard 5 and a filter kit I purchase from Pelican. I did a double flush on the fluid. Should I try changing back to ATF LT71141? Also, I connected my Durmatic up and I am getting a communications failure to the tip, however I am able to communicate with the engine and see no fault code.

• Moderators

The 5HP19 tiptronic in my 2000 Boxster was working fine until I did a fluid change and then it started slipping 400 miles after the change. It works fine manually up to 3rd gear and slips going into 4th. I checked the fluid level at the 30c and it was less than 1/2 quarts low. I topped in off and it still slips. I used ZF Safeguard 5 and a filter kit I purchase from Pelican. I did a double flush on the fluid. Should I try changing back to ATF LT71141? Also, I connected my Durmatic up and I am getting a communications failure to the tip, however I am able to communicate with the engine and see no fault code.

You need to be careful about two things: First, the Tip does not like the wrong type of fluid. Specs say that the car should use OEM 999-917-545-00, Esso LT 71141, or Pentosin ATF-1.

Secondly, the lack of communication between the Durametric and the Tip controller is a concern. If the Tip’s controller is out, that needs to be addressed as you need to communicate with it to correctly service the Tip.

• 2 months later...

For 1999-2001 996 tip owners in Australia you can source ESSO LT 71141 ATF from www.imperial.com.au for your ZF tiptronic trannies. Imperial Oil import the stuff. AU$12.00/litre (as at Oct/2009) - far cheaper than through Porsche.

www.imperialoil.com.au

The price has gone up a little bit, to $30/ litre. They only stock the 20L drums but they will decant 10L for you and only charge for 10L. (This is the only place I was able to find in Aus that supplies this stuff)

BTW: Porsche Brisbane were willing to decant 10L for $50/litre

• Moderators

Is it possible to overfill the ZF transmission? I left it in drive and filled it until the fluid escaped through the plug Then closed it. I used Izzys DIY, I also didn't get over 35C. In park the fluid was always dripping so i moved it back into drive.I also did the coolant changed with the Uview tool and had the purge clip up or open on the tank.So not sure if that would affect the temperature as it would not warm up past 35C.

Yes, it is possible to overfill the trans, and you must run the car until the fluid reaches 30-40C in park (only), then adjust the fluid level as needed.