Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Change Instructions

• Admin

Oil Change Instructions

Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers.   Parts you will need: 1 ea 996 107 225 60 (for 3.6 liter engines) or 996 107 225 53 or 996 107 225 52 (for 3.4 liter engines) Oil Filter (with O-ring) 1 ea 900 123 106 30 Aluminum Sealing Ring 9 ea 996 106 665 55 Mobil 1 0W-40 or equal Approved Oils as of April 2007 The list is now very long (for worldwide coverage). Here is a short list of p

• 4 months later...
Castrol Syntec 5W-50 5W-50 ncp G

Castrol Syntec 5W-40 5W-40 ncp GL

Mobil 1 0W-40 ncp GL (factory fill)

Mobil 1 5W-40 ncp GL

Mobil 1 5W-50 ncp GL

Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 0W-40 ncp GL

Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5W-40 ncp GL

Note: ncp oils are synthetic (or "non-conventional processing") oils. GL oils have good light running properties because of their light low-temperature viscosity as well as a high level of temperature stability. G rated oils can be used as non-seasonal oil, but do not have the same light running properties as "GL" oils.

Loren: Great post, thank you! It appears that Castrol 5w50 is no longer an approved oil. Some people say that 0w40 is too fluid and may cause leaks (used b/c of better fuel economy) and that the 40 weight is not viscous enough for hot climates like the Southern US. Your view?

I recently did my first oil change and went with Castrol 5w50. Mobil1 doesn't appear to make a 5w50 or 5w40 any more. Should I just use the factory 0w40?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Loren: Great post, thank you! It appears that Castrol 5w50 is no longer an approved oil. Some people say that 0w40 is too fluid and may cause leaks (used b/c of better fuel economy) and that the 40 weight is not viscous enough for hot climates like the Southern US. Your view?

I recently did my first oil change and went with Castrol 5w50. Mobil1 doesn't appear to make a 5w50 or 5w40 any more. Should I just use the factory 0w40?

Thanks!

That was the belief for older porsches (964 and back) which used thicker oils as standard.

Mobil does make a 5W50... it's just not available in the US. 5W50 isn't necessary unless you live in tropical climates like on the equator and drive city. Porsche puts in 0W40 and wouldn't do so if the oil would fail in warmer climates.

• 8 months later...

I could only find 15W-50W the other day, is this too heavy to use in a low mileage motor?

Thanks!

That was the belief for older porsches (964 and back) which used thicker oils as standard.

Mobil does make a 5W50... it's just not available in the US. 5W50 isn't necessary unless you live in tropical climates like on the equator and drive city. Porsche puts in 0W40 and wouldn't do so if the oil would fail in warmer climates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Loren, where I can get one of the, Oil filter wrench (p/n 000 721 920 40) (tool 9204 about $7 to $22 at your dealer), online? I called my dealer and gave that p/n 000 721 920 40, they said they don't have it or maybe they don't want to sell it or some. Anyway, I did my 1st oil change during the weekend, but no luck of getting my filter out. I did try every single wrench that some of the other guys in this forum said got from local Auto store or Wallmart. Hopefully, the one you gave here will do, or anyother way? thanks .

• Admin

Odd the part number does not come up in the latest Porsche parts list - but it is still on the retail price list.

Mercedes and BMW use the same oil filter wrench - make sure you get one that is the right diameter and the same number of flats. That has been covered here many times.

• Moderators

Save your money and visit your local Pep Boys, Kragen, Auto Zone, Wallmart etc. and pick up a Flo Tool Super Graphite Number 7 oil filter wrench for $3.99. It is the right size and has the right number of flutes.

It is made from the same stuff as the oil filter canister of a 996, 997, 986. 987, etc.

porscheoilfilterwrench.jpg

I have one of these for each of my cars, and have been using them for years. They work great.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Orient Express. I did try that #7 but it didn't work for me. May be the tech at porsche dealer overtight it or may be they never replace my oil filter after all this years i brough my car there for services, :) that's why it so stuck.

• 2 weeks later...
Porsche now approves of 0W-40 or 5W-40 synthetic oils - so either is fine.

Loren:

The viscosity issue is clear. But what is the GL desigation? Is this a new (revised) API SERVICE classification? (I know G signifies gas engines). I can not find this (GL) in the retail stores here. The widely available Mobil 1 is API SM,SL/CF. This is the one I have used and the service adviser at my dealer did not raise any concern. I would apperiate your response. :renntech:

• Admin

Loren:

The viscosity issue is clear. But what is the GL desigation? Is this a new (revised) API SERVICE classification? (I know G signifies gas engines). I can not find this (GL) in the retail stores here. The widely available Mobil 1 is API SM,SL/CF. This is the one I have used and the service adviser at my dealer did not raise any concern. I would apperiate your response. :renntech:

Porsche dropped that requirement in the April 2007 list - so I have edited the list.

Loren:

Porsche dropped that requirement in the April 2007 list - so I have edited the list.

THANKS. :renntech:

• 3 weeks later...

Loren,

I'm getting ready to do my first oil change with the C4S.

I intend to get some of the plastic ramps, I think they might not work for the front, but the rear looks high enough to clear the ramps.

I know that cars in general, have to be leveled for draining oil completely, any different with the Porsche?

I'm thinking if I should get some ramps and a floor jack (with jack stands) as well.

If the car doesn't need to be level, then the ramps will do for now with the oil change.

Also will be removing the mufflers soon for the MKII mod. I'm thinking just the ramps will work for that project.

Edited by CosmosC4S

• Admin
Loren,

I'm getting ready to do my first oil change with the C4S.

I intend to get some of the plastic ramps, I think they might not work for the front, but the rear looks high enough to clear the ramps.

I know that cars in general, have to be leveled for draining oil completely, any different with the Porsche?

I'm thinking if I should get some ramps and a floor jack (with jack stands) as well.

If the car doesn't need to be level, then the ramps will do for now with the oil change.

Also will be removing the mufflers soon for the MKII mod. I'm thinking just the ramps will work for that project.

I just back the rear tires up on 2 set of 2 x10 boards (so roughly 4 inches) and that is enough room and still keeps the car pretty level. If you wanted absolute level then put 2 sets of 2 x 10's under the front tires too.

post-1-1186805149_thumb.jpg

• Admin
Now, would that also be enough room to remove the mufflers?
Not unless you are really really thin. Most folks find it easiest to remove the rear wheels to remove the mufflers. That way when you remove the 3 bolts on the hanger bracket (and the sleeve on the cats) the muffler just rotates down and out.

Thanks Loren, then I guess I'd have to get a set of hydraulic jack and stands, or ramps as well.

I'm sure they'll come in handy for other projects, the only challenge is storage place!

I have 3 vehicles and a 2-car garage, and it's not easy stashing all the lawn equipment,

and everything else in the garage, when you live in a sub-division with a Homeowners Association

that won't allow sheds in your backyard if your house is on a lake!

• 1 month later...

I am getting ready to do my first oil change. I have collected all the parts needed to do this on my 99 C2 with the exception of the "1 ea 900 123 106 30 Aluminum Sealing Ring." Is this a part that exists at any auto parts store or should I wait to order one from a dealership?

Thank you for putting all the detailed information on how to do this procedure on this site.