Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuel Filter Replacement (to MY01 only)

• Admin

Fuel Filter Replacement (to MY01 only)

Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers.   Parts you will need: 1 996 110 253 01 Fuel Filter - for 2WD cars or 1 996 110 253 52 Fuel Filter - for 4WD cars Tools you will need: Tire ramps or jack (and jack stands) Various screwdrivers to remove underbody cover For the C2 the fuel filter is located in the tunnel area facing the center unit above the coolant pipes (up to and incl

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Admin
I believe there is another fuel filter next to the expansion coolant tank. Its on my 2000 c4 anyway, does this sound right?
Yes and no. There is only one fuel filter and it is under the car (as shown above) on C2 and Boxsters. On C4 and MY02 and later cars (including C4S) it mounts next to the coolant tank.

• 4 weeks later...
Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers.

Parts you will need:

1 996 110 253 01 Fuel Filter - for 2WD cars

or

1 996 110 253 52 Fuel Filter - for 4WD cars

Tools you will need:

Tire ramps or jack (and jack stands)

Various screwdrivers to remove underbody cover

The fuel filter is located in the tunnel area facing the center unit above the coolant pipes (up to and including MY01). MY02 and newer cars have the fuel filter incorporated in the fuel pump - and usually does not need to be changed. This DIY is for MY01 and older cars.

1. Remove cover for rear and center underbody. (photo courtesy Tool Pants)
    post-2-1132092930_thumb.jpg
  2. Pull off ground cable on filter. Then release the rapid-action couplings by pressing on the grey surfaces and remove the fuel lines. Collect emerging fuel.
  3. Loosen the large hose clamp on the filter and remove the filter element.
    post-2-1132092937.gif post-2-1132092945.gif
  4. Re-install a new filter element and tighten the hose clamp.
  5. Join the rapid-action couplings of the fuel lines. The plug connections must engage audibly. Then push the ground cable onto the filter element.
  6. Replace the cover for the rear and center underbody.

Hi, I recently noticed my 2000 996 C2 cab had developed a missfire, thinking back to its last fuel stop, I remembered finding it very difficult to fill without the pump cutting out. The following week I noticed the petrol station was closed to have new tanks installed. I spoke to a colleague who lives in near the petrol staion who told me that there were rumours that the previous tanks had been contaminated with water.

The missfire was more frequent when the tank was getting empty so I fueled up (at a more reputable source!) but the missfire is still present, it seems worse in traffic but disappears under more heavy load.

Should I persist by refuelling & hence diluting the contamination or do I need to drain and replace the fuel filter as you describe? If so any ideas on the easiest way to drain the tank. Can it be syphoned adjacent the fuel filter

Any help gratefully appreciated. JK

sorry for previous posting, i'm a FORUM virgin!

If you have a misfire you likely have a fault code or two.

If you have a code reader read out the codes - some auto parts stores will read your codes for free too.

Report back here what your codes are.

Hi,

unfortunately my local parts contacts are not that generous! the best I could find today wanted over £50. Although, using your instructions, tonight, I removed the centre panel exposing the fuel filter & drained out approx 200ml by unclipping the fuel line tank side of the filter. Looking at the petrol in a glass jug, I cound clearly see globules of water resting in the bottom which reinforces my earlier suspicions.

To empty the tank, I tried putting a pipe on the fuel line & turning on the ignitition to activate the fuel pump but I guess it realised there was no resistance & cut out.

Do you know the best/easiest way to empty the tank?

Your time & assistance is greatly appreciated

thanks John

If you have water in the fuel - why not use a fuel dryer like HEET.

That has worked for me and is a lot less trouble than draining the tank.

I haven' heard of HEET, who is the manufacturer & where is it available, is it a fuel additive? I tried some DRY FUEL by WYNN'S which I got from HALFORDS which seemed to improve it temporarily but now the tank only has about 3 gallons its playing up again.

Here it is on Amazon. I don't know of a UK supplier - I would try auto parts stores.

HEET on amazon

thanks, I'll keep trying with the DRY FUEL as HEET doesn't seem to be available in the UK. While its just got 3 - 4 gallons in I will try adding a couple of containers (although it says one per tank) to maximise the affect, leave it to activate for a day or two and then refill the tank thanks again John

• 1 year later...

Some advice for C4 fuel filter replacement on MY99

On the C4, the filter is by the coolant tank. You need to remove the air filter box. See that link. Also, when removing the AF box, there are two wire guides for the MAF sensor. Pull out the whole wire guide with stem as you could break the little clip that holds the wire.

To change the fuel filter: (again, remove the AF box for access).

Loosen the hose clamp on the filter. Get it really loose (almost with the hose clamp apart). It is up to you if you open the clamp fully. They can be tricky to re-thread in tight spaces like this.

Undo the top clip by pushing the little gray section on the quick clamp. Have a rag in the area to catch the fuel.

Pull the filter forward for access to double wrench the nut. (Hold back wrench at filter and loosening wrench on fitting). Use rag here also to catch fuel.

Stubby, open-ended wrenches would be better, but I did it with standard lengths. You need to pull the filter toward you enough to get clearance. The wrench sizes (almost 3/4" size whatever tha is in metric).

When all disconnected, you either open up the clamp fully to get the rear tube out, or manipulate the tube through the clamp. When installing, you need to do the same thing. Manipulate the rear tube through the clamp first.

Reverse procedure to replace.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

My 1997 Boxster with 67,000 miles had the clutch replaced last week by Marvin Weitz with RennShop in Santa Clara.

Since he was under there I asked Marvin to replace the filter and save it for me so I could cut it apart. It is the largest fuel filter I have seen on a gasoline engine. I wanted to see if the filter media inside was as large as the can. It was. Marvin said Porsche has always had large fuel filters.

The little filter on the bottom is the original from my 1988 Toyota pickup with 155,000 miles. A lot of fuel has gone through that filter in 20 years. I replaced it because I thought you should every 20 years....

Both filters looked fine. I saw no strange stuff in either filter.

post-4-1212819336_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
I was told the fuel filter changed in MY02 for C2 and is intergrated with fuel pump? is that true?
Yes, that is correct.

I believe there is another fuel filter next to the expansion coolant tank. Its on my 2000 c4 anyway, does this sound right?
Yes and no. There is only one fuel filter and it is under the car (as shown above) on C2 and Boxsters. On C4 and MY02 and later cars (including C4S) it mounts next to the coolant tank.

I think am missunderstanding something - for MY02 C2 is the first quote correct (fuel filter integrated with the fuel pump) or is the second quote correct (fuel filter mounted next to the coolant tank)? Or is it some combination of the two?

David

• Admin
I was told the fuel filter changed in MY02 for C2 and is intergrated with fuel pump? is that true?
Yes, that is correct.

I think am missunderstanding something - for MY02 C2 is the first quote correct (fuel filter integrated with the fuel pump) or is the second quote correct (fuel filter mounted next to the coolant tank)? Or is it some combination of the two?

David

The fuel system and fuel return changed in MY02. So, previous to MY02 the fuel filter was either under the center of the car (C2) or mounted on the coolant tank (C4). Prior to MY02 the fuel filter was to be changed every 30,000 miles.

As of MY02 and the returnless fuel system - the fuel filter is integrated with the fuel pump and never needs to changed unless the tank is contaminated.

• 7 months later...

I attempted to change my fuel filter in my 2001 C2 and I guess the picture shown at the top of the post is after the transmission bracket was removed. This is the most service unfreindly installation I have ever attempted. Finally after not being able to remove the ground wire off of the lug, I surrendered and reinstalled the under tray panels before I broke something. Any tips/photos on actually getting the old one past the coolant pipes and the new one back in. No wonder they made in non serviceable for 2002. Car has 48000 mi and I am doing all the fluids and filters, guess I may have to go to a dealer or indy shop.

Thanks

Steve

I attempted to change my fuel filter in my 2001 C2 and I guess the picture shown at the top of the post is after the transmission bracket was removed. This is the most service unfreindly installation I have ever attempted. Finally after not being able to remove the ground wire off of the lug, I surrendered and reinstalled the under tray panels before I broke something. Any tips/photos on actually getting the old one past the coolant pipes and the new one back in. No wonder they made in non serviceable for 2002. Car has 48000 mi and I am doing all the fluids and filters, guess I may have to go to a dealer or indy shop.

Thanks

Steve

I replaced the fuel filter on my 1999 C2 yesterday and the ground wire was difficult to remove. I cracked the plastic cover on the connector using long nose plyers and a screwdriver to remove it , but it's still useable. The filter can be removed by passing it through the tunnel to the rear and squeezed between the rubber coolent tubes were they bend up to the engine.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Steve

I replaced the fuel filter on my 1999 C2 yesterday and the ground wire was difficult to remove. I cracked the plastic cover on the connector using long nose plyers and a screwdriver to remove it , but it's still useable. The filter can be removed by passing it through the tunnel to the rear and squeezed between the rubber coolent tubes were they bend up to the engine.

Got it done last weekend :renntech: Broke one of the coolant tube clips though :angry: reordered through Pelican, no problem.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

ok, thinking about changing out my fuel filter, any pre cautions I need to take or to expect when replacing the fuel filter...just didn't want to get burned like the guy I know who was messing with a fuel filter and created a spark underneath and burned his left side...thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi just wondered has anyone experienced any problem starting straight after changing there fuel filter.. Does the system self bleed many thanks

I just changed the filter in my 2000 boxster and got 4 miles down the road and it died like it had run out of gas. I verified connections and they are good.

• 11 months later...

Do you need to depressurize the fuel system first? On my 944 you can pull the fuel pump fuse and run it until it stops before pulling any of the fuel lines off. Didn't know if you need to do the same with the 996? Or do you just pull it apart and let it drain?