Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing Reverse Lights/Back-Up Lights Switch

Replacing Reverse Lights/Back-Up Lights Switch

Replacing Switch on Transmission for Reverse Lights / Back-Up Lights Replacement Parts: 1. SWITCH, BACK-UP, part number 996.606.103.01 (This is the correct part number for my '99 911 Carrera 4. Check with your local dealer to confirm the correct part number for your car.) (Cost at my dealership on 21 Oct 2005: $8.16 + tax) Tools Required: 1. 19mm box-end wrench 2. Medium-sized flat-blade screwdriver Procedure: 1. If you are working under your pickup or SUV (and the wheels are still on) a

Edited by dphil66

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a similar problem with my GT3 Mk1. Only problem is the transmission housing is slightly different and you cannot get a 19mm box spanner to fit over the reverse switch - one side of the switch is very tight to the housing. A 19mm open ended spanner will not get sufficienct purchase as there is just not enough space. Do Porsche have a special tool or shall I just have to buy a very short slimline 19mm spanner???

Or is there a secret method???

• 4 months later...

You could try one of those extra-short open-end wrenches, or even cut down an old one you might have.

Otherwise, your best be might be a clawfoot wrench, which is made for just such a problem. It's basically an open end wrench head, with about 1 inch or less of the handle still attached, in which there is a square hole for your ratchet.

Here's a link to some clawfoot, or crow's foot, wrenches:

http://www.mactools.com/ProductsList.aspx?FamilyID=1314

Maybe those would work for the tight space?

post-7082-1155932406.jpg

I thought 'do I buy a special tool or carve up an existing one, or shall I just ask my Dealer to fix it when it's in for a service????

As it turns out when I handed over the part for them to install they said it was a warranty issue anyway..............

Doh!

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

First time poster. Love you love your forum! :renntech:

Anyway, I just did this repair on my 01 996 TT, the only additional thing that I had to do on my car, for ease of access to the part, was to remove the rear most plastic covering underneath the car. Once I did that, I was easily able to follow these directions! To remove the plastic cover, I used either a 9 or 10 mm socket and I forgot the number of the torx bit, but once you're under there, it's pretty easy to figure out.

• 3 months later...
Replacing Switch on Transmission for Reverse Lights / Back-Up Lights

Replacement Parts:

1. SWITCH, BACK-UP, part number 996.606.103.01 (This is the correct part number for my '99 911 Carrera 4. Check with your local dealer to confirm the correct part number for your car.) (Cost at my dealership on 21 Oct 2005: $8.16 + tax)

Tools Required:

1. 19mm box-end wrench

2. Medium-sized flat-blade screwdriver

Procedure:

1. If you are working under your pickup or SUV (and the wheels are still on) and the jack breaks or your stands slip, at least there is enough space for your body under that vehicle when it comes crashing down. Under your Porsche, there is no room for you unless you are only 3.6 inches thick. If the jack fails or the stands slip and the car falls, you will either die, or at least be crapping in a bag for the rest of your life. So lift the rear of the car up in a very SAFE and STABLE manner. I recommend the use of ramps, as shown in the picture below. Note how the front wheels are chocked, the ramps are super-sturdy and have stop blocks at the ends, and the car is in gear with the handbrake very tightly engaged.

post-7082-1132884159_thumb.jpg

2. Locate the reversing light switch on the portion of the transmission that is furthest forward in the vehicle. The switch is mounted in a hole in the transmission housing that faces directly up, and has a two-wire snap-on connector. (This is the location for a '99 911 Carrera 4 with the 6-speed Getrag transmission; your car may be different. Regardless, it shouldn't be hard to find.)

post-7082-1132884496_thumb.jpg post-7082-1132884511_thumb.jpg

3. Using a medium-sized flat-blade screwdriver, pry the snap retainer of the wiring connector open slightly so that the connector will come off. Note that you will have to pry the connector so the plug can slide out, while at the same time applying pressure to the plug to push it out. The green rubber portion of the connector is to keep water out of the connection area, but it also adds some friction to the connection. You won't have to push too hard, so just make sure you're moving the snap retainer out of the way enough.

post-7082-1132884524_thumb.jpg post-7082-1132884537_thumb.jpg

4. With the connector removed, drop your 19 mm box-end wrench over the switch from above. There should be plenty of room and it's easy to access. The threads are standard, so lefty-loosey righty-tighty. You should only have to turn the switch with the wrench about 1/12th of a turn at the most to break it loose, it should come the rest of the way out very easily with your fingers. When installing the new switch, be sure the switch body is aligned with the axis of the hole! The switch body material is either aluminum or magnesium, so be careful not to cross-thread the new switch upon installation. The new switch should screw all the way in VERY easily with your fingers. Apply a small amount of torque to the switch with the wrench when bottomed out. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the switch, you wouldn't want to strip the threads of the new switch. There is no seal ring between the switch and the transmission housing. When fully seated, the barb/emboss on the white plastic part of the switch (that the snap retainer snaps onto) should be facing the front of the car, approximately. (See photo below.)

post-7082-1132884553_thumb.jpg

5. Reinstall the wiring connector, be sure to push it all the way in so no green rubber boot is visible, and you hear the *click* of the snap retainer.

Cheers! You've just saved yourself over $100...

Thank you very much Dphil66. Your instruction and pictures are great :clapping:

I have a 00 Cab C2 and having the same problem; backing lights do not turn on in reverse.

I will work on it when the rain stops (I live in Southern Ca LOL).

I saw your ramps and they look like home made ones because they have low-long profile ramp. Mine are Rino brand and they have short ramp which may not fit close to my car rear wheel. Any suggestion?

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Had my backup light switch replaced in the weekend and it works great. Again, big thank to Dphil66 for good instruction :clapping:

The old switch still work after I pushed its plunger couple times but..what the heck I am there any way and the new switch is only $17 at Porsche dealer.

2000 C2 Triple black

I forgot to ask you guys one thing regarding replacing the backup light switch on my 2000 C2.

While I was removing the defective backup light switch from the transmission I heard a short bust air leaking sound as of you release the tire pressure but no oil come out. Is it normal?

My friend told me that the transmission air vent cap or fitting may got plugged and it needs to be corrected.

My car has 55K miles and it has new engine/clutch replaced at 48K miles by Porsche dealer in Pasadena, Ca.

Should I continue to drive my car? any tips and advices are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Nghia Ho

• 6 months later...
  • Admin

I just did this on my car - it literally took less than 5 minutes.

Couple things I would add - you likely won't need to a screwdriver to unclip the connector. I just pushed it back with my thumb and wiggled it out.

Also, I don't think which way the switch tab points when installed is relevant. My original switch faced the passenger side of the car and the new switch faced the rear. It is very simple switch so I don't think that makes any difference.

Thanks again to drphil66 for the great pics and writeup. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Admin

Manual

The picture you posted is not the right switch for a 1998 Boxster manual transmission.

It is a different switch that what is on the 996 - except it is on the opposite side (since the engine and transmission are reversed on mid-engine cars).

post-1-0-30548000-1318259702_thumb.png

Edited by Loren
updated switch info