Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986/996 Diagnostic tool

More than just an ODB2 reader, this website claims to have developed a tool similar to the PST2

http://www.durametric.com/porsche.php

The following table displays what modules can be read and reset using our software.

Module -------Read Codes Reset Codes

DME (Engine) -------- Yes -------- Yes

Airbag ---------------- Yes -------- Yes

ABS ------------------- Yes -------- Yes

Alarm System -------- Yes -------- No

Air Conditioning ------ Yes -------- Yes

Seat Memory --------- Yes -------- Yes

Has anyone tried this tool?

I haven't purchased one yet, but I am tempted.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just looked over the website and would be VERY curious what it can do. If it's nothing more than an OBD tool that will allow us to reset the airbag light then I would definitely pass. But........if it turns out to be closer to a PST2 then I am on board for the first group buy that gets organized.

Can't wait to hear your response to the product Loren.

Just looked over the website and would be VERY curious what it can do. If it's nothing more than an OBD tool that will allow us to reset the airbag light then I would definitely pass. But........if it turns out to be closer to a PST2 then I am on board for the first group buy that gets organized.

I agree I cannot wait to see more about this, it looks a lot like a tweaked version, of the VAG-COM software for the Audi and the VW, which run a flavor of motronics as well. I have used the VAG-COM software and I was impressed of what it can do for Audi/VW’s. The pricing looks comparable as well.

The vag link for VW..

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchan...ategory_Code=IC

Pez

• Admin

Update - The nice folks at Durametric Software are sending me a unit to evaluate. I will need a couple of guinea pigs... uh... er... I mean volunteers that would like to help with the evaluation. I will need a 986 and TT volunteers (and I will use my 996). If you live in the SF Bay Area and want to volunteer - drop me a PM.

ps. I have a PST2 so we should be able to fix anything that potentially might get messed up. Honestly - I have tested several OBD II testers and their is little chance of messing something up.

Edited by Loren

Considering my local Porsche options, an airbag light reset + ODB2 reader would be worth about $175 to me. I am VERY pleased Loren will be doing an evaluation. :thumbup:

Update - The nice folks at Durametric Software are sending me a unit to evaluate. I will need a couple of guinea pigs... uh... er... I mean volunteers that would like to help with the evaluation. I will need a 986 and TT volunteers (and I will use my 996). If you live in the SF Bay Area and want to volunteer - drop me a PM.

ps. I have a PST2 so we should be able to fix anything that potentially might get messed up. Honestly - I have tested several OBD II testers and their is little chance of messing something up.

I can bring my TT or my boxster. Let me know which one and when.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw adv for this tool on Ebay- sounds like it might be useful but isn't fully developed yet. Will updates be reasonable for early purchasers as functions are added? What about control unit or key programming?

Question- what is latest (last) software update # for pst2 before PIWIS intro? Somebody trying to sell me version 24- is this it? Will 24 handle CGT or 997 systems? Who knows this stuff? Is this the right forum?

thanks from renntech rookie

• Admin

I just received the Durametric software and cable. I've barely had time to look at it yet. At this time it looks like -- code identification and reset for DME, Air Bag, ABS, Alarm, AC, and Seat Memory -- no PST2/PIWIS functions beyond that. I know they plan on more and I will try to get details as I progress in my review of the product. I plan to try it on 986 and 996 with DME 5.2.2, DME 7.2, and DME 7.8.

The latest US version of software for the PST2 is version 24 and it does include CGT but not 987 or 997. Stay tuned as we have heard that Europe has version 27.

Saw adv for this tool on Ebay- sounds like it might be useful but isn't fully developed yet. Will updates be reasonable for early purchasers as functions are added? What about control unit or key programming?

Question- what is latest (last) software update # for pst2 before PIWIS intro? Somebody trying to sell me version 24- is this it? Will 24 handle CGT or 997 systems? Who knows this stuff? Is this the right forum?

thanks from renntech rookie

THe last USA update or version for the PST2 is version 24 for the PST2 and yes it will work on the Carrera GT but it won't work on a 997.

Email me for a little more information if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Just to let you everyone know. The folks at Durametric Software have just announced an "Introductory Price of $197 - including shipping".

I have not completed the evlauation of the software yet (I've done DME 5.2.2 ). Bad weather has delayed the DME 7.2 and 7.8 tests. It reads faults and resets codes - including airbag, alarm, ABS, and A/C (and DME of course). My early opinion is that the software does what they say it will do and... is very easy to use. If you are looking for an uncomplicated tool this might be it!

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool. It would be great if you could bleed the brakes just like the real deal for the diy guy. The price seems reasonable and is usb and not serial which is great. FWIW I had the deal from obdII.com and it made my laptop crash and didn't work, that was with the correct one - after they sent me the wrong :(. Needless to say as a student I could not have that instability- I only have a laptop-

Loren please delete my other thread, sorry I didn't see this.

Now all we need to do is get a giac copy that is flashable via the motronic loader :)

How did the trial go ?

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Here is an update on the Durametric Software that I got today. They have added the Cayenne as a supported vehicle and once again increased it's diagnostic/reporting capabilities.

I will try and setup a test session (locally) for anyone that wants to see it in action on their car -- if it ever stops raining here...

We are pleased to announce a new version of the Durametric diagnostic software is available for download. This update is free to everyone who has purchased our tool. If you just ordered the software in the last few days, then the CD included will not have this latest version. If you have specific features you would like to see in the product please let us know.

New features include:

Cayenne

DME (Motronic 7.1)

Tiptronic

Airbag

Steering Column Switch

PSM

PCM2

Kessy

Instrument Cluster

Gateway

Electrical System

Air Conditioning

Wiper

Transfer case

Boxster / 996

Tiptronic

DME Actual Values

DME Vehicle Information ABS 5.3 Actual Values

Airbag Actual Values

DME (Motronic 5.2)

General Feature

Logging

Here are some of the things we are working on:

ABS 5.3 Bleeding the brakes for ABD/PSM

Enabling OBC (On Board Computer)

The rest of the 993 modules

If you do not want to be advised of future updates or want to change your email address, please send an email to support@durametric.com

Best Regards,

Durametric Software

• Admin

Someone asked this question via a PM so I thought I would share the answer here...

"When I floor the pedal, the Throttle Plate Angle says 80%... is it supposed to be 80%? Or am I missing 20%?"

That reading is correct.

Here is the Durametric Software reading (on my car) and the reading I took with my PST2.

post-2-1144020897_thumb.jpg post-2-1144020978_thumb.jpg

Also, here is the test from the OBD II manual:

Read actual values for TP sensor.

1. Connect and switch on Porsche System Tester 2.

2. Select vehicle type 996, DME, Actual values.

3. Select TP sensor.

4. Read actual value with throttle valve closed. Display: approx. 0 %

5. Fully depress accelerator pedal.

6. Read actual value with throttle valve open. Display: approx. 70 - 80 %

Note: It is important that the value changes and does not remain fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone asked this question via a PM so I thought I would share the answer here...

"When I floor the pedal, the Throttle Plate Angle says 80%... is it supposed to be 80%? Or am I missing 20%?"

That reading is correct.

Here is the Durametric Software reading (on my car) and the reading I took with my PST2.

post-2-1144020897_thumb.jpg post-2-1144020978_thumb.jpg

Also, here is the test from the OBD II manual:

Read actual values for TP sensor.

1. Connect and switch on Porsche System Tester 2.

2. Select vehicle type 996, DME, Actual values.

3. Select TP sensor.

4. Read actual value with throttle valve closed. Display: approx. 0 %

5. Fully depress accelerator pedal.

6. Read actual value with throttle valve open. Display: approx. 70 - 80 %

Note: It is important that the value changes and does not remain fixed.

Loren,

Do you recommed this software over others, such as http://www.scantool.net/

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

http://www.obd-2.com/

http://www.digimoto.com/

Thanks!

• Admin

Yes, I am hoping to finish my long term evaluation of the Durametric Software soon.

I personally see a need for two of the four you mention.

The OBD-2 software is really good for tracing (graphing) O2 sensor performance and looking at real time DME (only) data. It can read (and reset) only DME fault codes. The software is updated every two to three months - and updates are free. As a bonus it also works on my (other car) Mercedes and my wife's Jeep. For $123 it is a no-brainer.

The Durametric Software can read faults in the DME, Alarm, Airbag, ABS, Seat memory, Heating/AC, Tiptronic and more. It can reset those faults in all but the alarm system. It can also read real time data and they are constantly updating it and adding new features. So far the updates are free which is nice with all the added functionality. For the "introductory" price of $197 again this is a great bargain. I don't expect their "introductory price" to last too much longer.

The only tool that can do all (and more) of what these two do is a PST2. Latest prices for used PST2's on eBay are still running well over $3000.

I have been reading your thread regarding Durametric Software.

I understand that the ECU stores the engine hours and, on later models, it also records the mileage in addition to the mileage stored within the instrument cluster. Is this correct ?

Is it possible that the mileage on my 2005 996 turbo has been unofficially altered (reduced) via one of the OBD II connection / DIY software packages ?

Many "mileage correction" services seem to be advertised on the web.

If so, can I compare / check the mileage stored in the ECU with that displayed on the instrument cluster ?

Perhaps the Durametric Software could be used to do this ?

• Admin

The Durametric software can not change mileage in the DME or cluster.

Even a dealer/shop PST2 or PIWIS tester can not change mileage on a cluster that has more than 52 miles on it.

I am sure there are people out there that can still alter mileage - legally or not.

I have both Pocketlogger and the Autoenginuity for Palm. Just got the second one yesterday, so will do some evaluations/opinions later this weekend. So far looks like the Autoenginuity does a better job than Pocketlogger, but I will evaluate them side by side and give you all my findings. Thanks

Izzy