Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986/996 Diagnostic tool

Yes, I am hoping to finish my long term evaluation of the Durametric Software soon.

I personally see a need for two of the four you mention.

The OBD-2 software is really good for tracing (graphing) O2 sensor performance and looking at real time DME (only) data. It can read (and reset) only DME fault codes. The software is updated every two to three months - and updates are free. As a bonus it also works on my (other car) Mercedes and my wife's Jeep. For $123 it is a no-brainer.

The Durametric Software can read faults in the DME, Alarm, Airbag, ABS, Seat memory, Heating/AC, Tiptronic and more. It can reset those faults in all but the alarm system. It can also read real time data and they are constantly updating it and adding new features. So far the updates are free which is nice with all the added functionality. For the "introductory" price of $197 again this is a great bargain. I don't expect their "introductory price" to last too much longer.

The only tool that can do all (and more) of what these two do is a PST2. Latest prices for used PST2's on eBay are still running well over $3000.

Loren thanks for your honest evaluation.

I purchased and installed the Durametric software yesterday.

I had my seat out to transport a heavy chunk of ,arble, so I used it afterwards to reset the Airbag light.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was on the site today (1May) and noticed that the 993 version is now for sale also at $197, and both cables for $247.

2 May - Ordered mine today. 5 May listed as last day of intro offer. USPS S&H was $4.50.

Edited by 70Sixter

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the software a couple days ago. I live in AK and it took them barely 24 hours for the stuff to arrive. Thumbs up for not messing around on the shipping!

I just did a quick read of the various ECUs present, finding no DME codes. I did find a power failure code set when the battery was replaced, so I cleared that. I also found 26 instances of a failure of my interior infrared alarm sensor, and 8 of the oddments tray sensor. I couldn't reset those. I have no other indications of an alarm failure, so they may be old codes. If I had my WiFi card with me, I could have clicked the "magnifying glass" symbol next to each of the faults and been redirected to a website for troubleshooting. Very cool!

I also found my car has been run for nearly 1450 hours, with the last trip to redline being when I test drove before buying. In total, it's spent 2 3 seconds at 7200 RPM and no time above that. Average speed was something like 26 MPH over the life of the car.

This software will be very handy should I ever have a check engine or airbag light. That will have to wait until the spring, though, because it's getting too cold to drive the Boxster here.

Durametric has released a new version of the 997 Software which will be able to do much more that it was capable of previously. If you own a 997 this will of great interest to you. You can get the software update free at their website.

2005-2006 Porsche 911(997)

Module Read Codes Reset Codes Actual Values ECU Information

DME (Engine) Yes Yes Yes Yes

Tiptronic Yes Yes No No

Airbag Yes Yes No No

AWS Yes Yes No No

Alarm Yes Yes No No

ABS 8 / PSM Yes Yes No No

PASM Yes Yes No No

Gateway Yes Yes No No

Instrument Cluster Yes Yes No No

Air Conditioning Yes Yes No No

Vehicle Electrical System Yes Yes No No

Steering Column Switch Yes Yes No No

Front Body Computer Yes Yes No No

Rear Body Computer Yes Yes No No

Left Door Computer Yes Yes No No

Right Door Computer Yes Yes No No

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got my copy and it seams to be working as promised. I am located in Miami Beach, FL. If anyone local would like to check it out, please pm me.

Edited by ivass

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I recently bought the Durametric scan tool and it really exceeded my expectations.

I could resolve a problem of the 02sensors on my 2.5L Boxster. This defect was never noticed before in an official Porsche Center ... (see my topic in the 986 DIY list about 02 sensors).

I can also confirm that Durametric is very cooperative in finding solutions.

The only problem I have is that I cannot read the actual values in the Airbag and ABS-system although I can read the defect codes of these electronic units. Communication with the Heating&Airco system is possible (fault codes and actual values) and according to Durametric the Heating&Airco information comes through the same wiring cable and pin which is used to transfer the Airbag and ABS-data. Of course I am aware that there might be a wiring problem in my car too that might be the reason for which I cannot read the actual values in Airbag and ABS but I would like to know if someone of you encounters the same communication problem with these 2 control units on a Boxster.

As I wrote before : Do not hesitate to buy the Durametric, mine already proved its capabilities !

Regards,

Alfred

Edited by privateselling

Hi all,

There is mention earlier in this thread about ABS and brake bleeding. Does this mean that the ABS on 996's causes a problem during brake bleeding, or have I interpreted this thread item incorrectly?

• Admin

No, it just means that hte small amount of fluid in the ABS system is not bled unless you have the Durametric Software or a PST2 or PIWIS tester hooked up to open the ABS valve/pump.

I have bled brakes many times without worrying about the ABS with no ill affects.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I purchased the Durametric Software back in sept. or somwhere there abouts. I have read and cleared service faults and many others .It realy works very well. but I have a question, When I am able to clear a code does that mean that the problem fault no longer exists or it 's cleared and the problem might still be there .An answer would be greatly appreciated

I have no knowledge of the specific system, but I am 99% sure that the S/W has no way of knowing whether the problem is still there. It will erase the fault, and if the problem still exists you will get a brand new fault appearing.

I have no knowledge of the specific system, but I am 99% sure that the S/W has no way of knowing whether the problem is still there. It will erase the fault, and if the problem still exists you will get a brand new fault appearing.

thank you It is what I figured I just wanted to make sure, and it has happened where I have cleared the code only to have it come back.

• 5 weeks later...

I am new on here and have bought the Durametric scanner. I am trying to scan a 997s and am not able to. It is giving me the following message.

"0

Vehicle limit exceed

You have received this error message because this hardware is the standard version and you have exceed the three (3) vehicle limit. "

I was not aware that there is a limit on how many times you can scan vehicles for this hardware. Can anyone help me with this.

• Admin
I am new on here and have bought the Durametric scanner. I am trying to scan a 997s and am not able to. It is giving me the following message.

"0

Vehicle limit exceed

You have received this error message because this hardware is the standard version and you have exceed the three (3) vehicle limit. "

I was not aware that there is a limit on how many times you can scan vehicles for this hardware. Can anyone help me with this.

Ah... If you look at the $247 package it reads "Enthusiast Package

This package is designed for the Porsche enthusiast that works on there own car. It offers all of the great features as our professional kit but will only work on up to 3 cars."

My guess is that too many shops were buying the software and using it - while Durametric got no additional income. Or you bought it and use it on all your friends cars - then they don't need to buy it.

Seems fair to me. They have an excellent product - they deserve the money they make.

I fully agree with Loren's comments.

That is why Durametric makes the distinction between a professional kit and an Enthusiast package.

I can confirm that the Durametric service is prompt and correct and I can fully understand that they built in a restriction with regard to the quantity of cars which can be processed with the 'Enthusiast package'.

Hopefully Durametric will further work on the development and expand the possibilities for diagnosis (e.g. instruments) and programming (e.g. new car keys, transponder etc.).

When I see the regular software updates then I can only conclude that they do not only sell and wait until the sales of their product drops but they continuously optimize their device.

Edited by privateselling

• 2 weeks later...
Was on the site today (1May) and noticed that the 993 version is now for sale also at $197, and both cables for $247.

2 May - Ordered mine today. 5 May listed as last day of intro offer. USPS S&H was $4.50.

Mike,

How do you get the dicount? I don't see it offered anywhere on the site (May 2)! I see the 996 version only goes up to '98. Just curious, do you know if it's good for the '99 as well?

Thanks!

• Admin

Mike,

How do you get the dicount? I don't see it offered anywhere on the site (May 2)! I see the 996 version only goes up to '98. Just curious, do you know if it's good for the '99 as well?

Thanks!

That previous post was from May 2006 -- they have added a great deal to the software since then and cover many more model years and cars.

I think you may have misread the cars covered. It is:

1996-1998 Porsche 993

and 1999-2004 Porsche 911 (996)

plus many more...