Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

child seat recommendations

Hi. What you are looking for your 4+ years old, 30+ lbs child is a booster for proper positioning of the shoulder belt. The objective of a booster is simple: they are a comfortable phone book that puts the child's shoulder and waist into better position to make use of the safety belt and to prevent injury in an accident by the belt itself. Many boosters on the market today also offer side-impact head protection.

As mentioned above, Britax is a viable source. Britax is a highly-respected manufacturer of child seats. My research years ago led me to conclude they pioneer many designs, perform actual crash testing, and have very few product recalls. Porsche seats are apparently produced by Britax. Of the major brands, Britax is a more expensive option; Porsche, for the same seat, is even more.

Britax's current booster seat offering is the Parkway model, about $100. You might consider Graco, or another non-boutique brand. For instance, check out the Graco TurboBooster, about $50. My kids have used a Britax StarRiser Comfy (a predecessor to the Parkway that I had to special order at the time for $150) and/or a Graco TurboBooster. These Britax and Graco models have a narrow footprint, and are highly likely to fit in the rear seat of a 911. Both are adjustable for a custom fit and have head protection that doubles as a head rest for napping. My kids have never complained about comfort in either one on 2-hour trips (haven't travelled much longer than that).

You can get more specific details on-line, i.e. http://www.britaxusa.net/ and http://www.gracobaby.com/products/category.asp?N=41. I also recommend checking out NHTSA's website for more info: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov...for instance, they currently offer this pamphlet: Boosterseats.pdf

BTW, Britax is available at specific outlets only, i.e. Babies'R'Us or by mail order. Graco, and many others, are available at WalMart, Target, etc.

--Brian

Hi. What you are looking for your 4+ years old, 30+ lbs child is a booster for proper positioning of the shoulder belt. The objective of a booster is simple: they are a comfortable phone book that puts the child's shoulder and waist into better position to make use of the safety belt and to prevent injury in an accident by the belt itself. Many boosters on the market today also offer side-impact head protection.

As mentioned above, Britax is a viable source. Britax is a highly-respected manufacturer of child seats. My research years ago led me to conclude they pioneer many designs, perform actual crash testing, and have very few product recalls. Porsche seats are apparently produced by Britax. Of the major brands, Britax is a more expensive option; Porsche, for the same seat, is even more.

Britax's current booster seat offering is the Parkway model, about $100. You might consider Graco, or another non-boutique brand. For instance, check out the Graco TurboBooster, about $50. My kids have used a Britax StarRiser Comfy (a predecessor to the Parkway that I had to special order at the time for $150) and/or a Graco TurboBooster. These Britax and Graco models have a narrow footprint, and are highly likely to fit in the rear seat of a 911. Both are adjustable for a custom fit and have head protection that doubles as a head rest for napping. My kids have never complained about comfort in either one on 2-hour trips (haven't travelled much longer than that).

You can get more specific details on-line, i.e. http://www.britaxusa.net/ and http://www.gracobaby.com/products/category.asp?N=41. I also recommend checking out NHTSA's website for more info: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov...for instance, they currently offer this pamphlet: Boosterseats.pdf

BTW, Britax is available at specific outlets only, i.e. Babies'R'Us or by mail order. Graco, and many others, are available at WalMart, Target, etc.

--Brian

thanks for the info. i know that i need a booster seat, the problem is which on fits the narrow seats of the porsche, plus as you know p cars seat backs almost have a negative angle leaning foward so it forces the car seat closer to the passanger seat. i am currently using a graco tha i just threw in. all our other seats are Britax, but none of them even come close to fitting in the seat bottom. does anyone know a specific britax seat by name that will fit. i was told that porsche quite selling the britax rename (and over priced) seats? i guess i need to go to Baby's r us and just start carring seats out to the car to test fit, but i was hoping someone would have some ideas to save time. does anyone know if the recaro boster seat fits?

http://www.recarochildseats.com/startChildSeats.asp

post-6190-1146313705.jpg

Geez, if the Britax booster won't fit in the seat bottom, I am having a hard time imaging what will, including the Recaro. After all, the Britax is adjustable to essentially the width of your child and is about as narrow as can be. As for the seatback angle, sorry to answer with anther question: Can your child sit on a booster bottom only, without the seatback and shoulder belt clip, and have the shoulder belt rest comfortably and appropriately on the shoulder? Some kids may be tall enough for that. Running out of ideas here.... --Brian

Geez, if the Britax booster won't fit in the seat bottom, I am having a hard time imaging what will, including the Recaro. After all, the Britax is adjustable to essentially the width of your child and is about as narrow as can be. As for the seatback angle, sorry to answer with anther question: Can your child sit on a booster bottom only, without the seatback and shoulder belt clip, and have the shoulder belt rest comfortably and appropriately on the shoulder? Some kids may be tall enough for that. Running out of ideas here.... --Brian

Sorry for the confusion, but I am not sure the Britax will fit or not, I was wondering if anyone had tried it? The Recaro says the dimensions of the base are 19" and I think the seat bottom is closer to 12-13". No fat kids allowed in the back, ha ha. The Britax web site did not show the base dimensions. Anyone know? As for the Booster only, the wife would never go for it.

I have both the Graco turbo booster and the Britax Parkway or whatever it was called last year. The Graco's don't fit in the 997 because they have a squared off back. The Graco's are the kid's favortite. The Britax fit perfectly. They have a rounded back that slides perfectly in the seat. I bought two for way less than one Porsche booster would cost. The only issue with Britax is that the head piece goes directly over the child's shoulders. My 6.5 year old is only average height and the seat is already hitting the C pillar. We're tempted to take him out because the belts seem to sit just right on him in those small seats. The other issue is that the booster takes away some leg room. You have to teach the kids to cross legs or straddle the front seat. Easy for the 6 year old, not so easy for the 3yr old. Have fun. Once the kids are in, I make a couple of quick acceleration runs or hard turns and they forget about the tight quarters and giggle the rest of the way. They make a great cheering section, kind of like the devil wispering in your ear" go like a race car dad"

I have a Britax roundabout and parkway. They both fit in the rear seat. The roundabout is a tight fit, but it's okay. I only used the roundabout as a forward facing baby seat, but front leg room is compromised. Now that my son is older and taller, I use the Parkway. It's much better since Parkway booster is less bulky than the roundabout.

• 3 weeks later...

For my 4 y/o daughter, I carried some seats out to the car from Babies R Us and ended up with the black leather Eddie Bauer - I wanted a seat with its own harness at that point. Fits better than most in the rear. (I pulled the leather pad off the bottom of seat - it's just velcro'd - to make a little more room.

I recently ordered a Britac Star Riser (I think this is the discontinued model), which uses the normal seat belt, and I installed it behind the drivers seat last weekend. It fits GREAT and, much to my amazement, I was able to drive with my 4 y/o behind me, by moving the seat forward only slightly from my normal almost all the way back driving position. Worked out great as my wife's Cayenne S blew a power steering hose, and we managed to get the four of us (including my 1 y/o son) in the car. A true family car!!

• 1 year later...

Get a child seat from your Porsche dealer. The seat is made by Britax specifically for Porsche. I have a C4S, the seat fits great and provides all the protection you would expect. My son thinks it is very comforable. There are three models based on size and weight.

• 8 months later...