Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suspension noise on 06 Cayman S

Has anyone noticed a thumping noise coming from the rear suspension when the Cayman goes over a bump? The noise sounds like the trunk is loose or the engine not secured tightly when go over speed bumps. I took my Cayman back to the dealer and they were able to duplicated on mine as well as other new Caymans but with no solution...any help?

Edited by TNT

Sounds like a loose rear swaybar...

Loren,

Noise seems higher then the swaybar. the noise sounds like a loose rear trunk slamming down when a going over a bump with the exception that the rear trunk is secure. i am wondering with it is a design flaw?

See my post on 987S -- rear trailing arm bad bushing inboard--sounded like thumping noise behind head of driver and passenger--took 6 months for someone at my dealer to figure out.

Edited by markny

• 2 months later...

Actually, I'm pretty sure what you are describing is a common problem unrealted to the suspension. It is the rear window latch. Does it sound like someone didn't close a door all the way, but it is coming from back? Pretty common, mine does it, only on certain bumps, like sharp ones. Ones that always cause it are transitions in the joints in the freeway, like on elevated portions of the freeway. The have fix for it by putting a different bushing in on the latch. They require some play as an absorber I guess to keep the back window from dislodging on a good jolt.

• 1 month later...
Actually, I'm pretty sure what you are describing is a common problem unrealted to the suspension. It is the rear window latch. Does it sound like someone didn't close a door all the way, but it is coming from back? Pretty common, mine does it, only on certain bumps, like sharp ones. Ones that always cause it are transitions in the joints in the freeway, like on elevated portions of the freeway. The have fix for it by putting a different bushing in on the latch. They require some play as an absorber I guess to keep the back window from dislodging on a good jolt.

Yes, I noticed this on all the cars that I test drove. I just purchased one anyway, but it's good to know that there is a "fix." Do you have more information on that?

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, Just found this board. I too seem to have the problem with what sounds like the hatch, when I drive over a bump. My 2006 Cayman has about 700 miles on it, and the noise seems like its getting worse. I took it back to the dealer once, but they claimed that they couldn't duplicate the noise. I will take it back again and ride with service adviser. It is rather annoying for a new car , especially when my previous car was as solid as a rock. Otherwise car is great.

I had my 2007 Cayman-S for about two months now and it developed a very similar noise (at least the descriptions here sound very much like it) while driving it home from the dealer after I bought it.

It was clearly coming from the rear hatch, and my dealer knew nothing about it and had no idea what to do.

The "clunk" just drove me crazy, so I opened the hatch liner and developed a fix, which is EASY to do. I posted detailed instructions about it under my login "Rainer" in the articles section of the "caymanclub.net", which is a GREAT site for Cayman afficionados.

Here is the link:

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...uct=7&cat=6

I hope it works for all of you too!!

Greetings C-S!!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys. This topic has been discussed at great length at www.CaymanClub.net. There are dozens of threads discussing it over there.

It appears to be a common and still unsolved problem affecting the Cayman. The clunk is caused by a resonant counter weight that is installed in the hatch itself. Because the hatch is quite heavy and it sits on a flexible rubber seal, when the car goes over an abrubt bump the rubber seal will compress and the hatch will vibrate. Because it has a lot of surface area, this sends a loud audible bass note through the car. The weight changes the resonant frequency of the vibration, making it sub sonic so it's not so noticable, and it dampens the vibrations. The problem is, in certain conditions the weight itself will hit the edge of the opening in which it is installed, creating a metal to metal clunk that is annoying the h$&% out of Cayman owners. It also appears to be more less prevelant on cars equipped with PASM because of the softer ride.

One of the members over there assembled a very verbose article documenting a home grown fix. Most all members who have tried the fix report back that it works. Take a look for yourself: http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...uct=7&cat=6

I also suggest visiting the Cayman Club and searching for 'Clunk', 'Suspension Noise', or 'Boom'.

I had my 2007 Cayman-S for about two months now and it developed a very similar noise (at least the descriptions here sound very much like it) while driving it home from the dealer after I bought it.

It was clearly coming from the rear hatch, and my dealer knew nothing about it and had no idea what to do.

The "clunk" just drove me crazy, so I opened the hatch liner and developed a fix, which is EASY to do. I posted detailed instructions about it under my login "Rainer" in the articles section of the "caymanclub.net", which is a GREAT site for Cayman afficionados.

Here is the link:

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...uct=7&cat=6

I hope it works for all of you too!!

Greetings C-S!!

I don't own a Cayman but I really enjoyed reading your fix. I've used a lot of foam tape and felt pieces over the years to muffle annoying buzzes, clunks and rattles in my cars but seldom as ingeniously as you did. Nice work and enjoy your clunk-free Porsche! :clapping:

• 4 months later...

While it's nothing to worry about, it is annoying. We have some pretty bumpy roads in Hawaii and I hear it daily. When I have some time, I'm going to try out the fix from the Caymanclub forum.

• 6 months later...

I did the fix for the clunk, but now I've got a "rattle" coming from the latch and it's driving me crazy. I tried adjusting the latch down and adjusting the rubber stops on the latch, but I can't get the rattling to stop. It only rattles when going over a sudden bump.

My car was manufactured late in '06.

• 4 months later...
I did the fix for the clunk, but now I've got a "rattle" coming from the latch and it's driving me crazy. I tried adjusting the latch down and adjusting the rubber stops on the latch, but I can't get the rattling to stop. It only rattles when going over a sudden bump.

My car was manufactured late in '06.

pmarangoni,

Did you check your center-mounted brake light? Some Caymans suffer from a plasticy rattle there, which can easily be fixed by inserting felt between the plastic enclosure and the glas of the hatch.

Edited by C-S

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, please  I need advice on getting rid of the clunk. I attempted the link by Mike but appears to have been deleted. I have also ordered the R - Kit Damping mass but I need the instructions how to apply. So far I have been told it may be that I need new struts which I doubt.

I appreciate your inputs.

Edited by anthony olona