Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Sign in to follow this  

Coolant hose change

Description

Coolant hose change, right side bottom hose, boxster cayman gen2

Had a puddle when warm, from the drivers side front (coolant leak as discoloured the drive). 

Common problem so took the wheel off with it facing as far right as possible, then, If I recall, 7 screws to remove the plastic cover of the inner wheel arch (torxs)

Bottom of the 2 pipes were the problem on mine

The 2 ends of the pipe means you will need a big bucket to catch all the fluid,

There will be a something like a 3mm wire cir-clip that retains the hose, one at each end, make sure it is well clear or take it off all together, its easy to get back on.

then just pull the hose off and get wet.(image)

The leaking end had been bodged before so was I had to wiggle for a while, don't forget the car is on jacks so don't pull too hard.

then release the other end, I must have releases a good 3 litres of coolant out of the car.

The new hose (image) is apparently silicone based, and I read that you are not to use silicone lubricant on silicon hoses?

So you will have to decide on what to put on the hose to aid insertion.

Clean everything as much as you can, then push the new hose and put back the clips on both ends (test pull to see if well located).

With the Gen2 (might be cayman and boxster the coolant refill should be done with a full drain as per other tutorials, but to refill and bleed you have to remove the engine cover and find the 

bleed valve as per image. not in the boot as gen1( as I understand)

Check for leaks

hose 120.png

hose 020.jpg

hose 220.png

bleed.png

• Similar Content

• By Zacatecaluca
      Hello All,
      The car has been awesome 2006 987.1 30k miles. The other day i took it for a drive and stopped after about 150 miles for about 30miins when I came out, all my coolant was on the floor. I refilled the coolant and constantly checked the temperature, initially it edged up to 180F but then settled back down to 175F and stayed that way all the way home. I was driving gently and kept cheeking the coolant level. Since then I found that I needed to open the coolant needle valve and drive around for 3 or 4 days to bleed the cooling system. I'm on day 2 and the coolant level has gone down slightly. Whenever I stop I check the floor and there has been no coolant leak.
      I am baffled, anyone seen this before?
      Thanks.
    • By Philip Adler
      Well I was driving yesterday when the coolant light began to flash, temp hit 200, so I went home and filled the coolant, which was really low. When looking through the fill, there wasn't any coolant all the way down. I put in about 3 quarts [ capacity 2.5 gal.] which was a lot of loss. But There wasn't any leaking. [?] The level stayed steady at the 1/2 min-max mark.

Driving today, about 10 miles back and forth, not only did the light come on but the temperature shot up. I pulled into the driveway just as it hit 250. 
      No check engine light, no other diagnostic light, just the flashing coolant light.
      [meter/check codes?]

When I got out of the car, I could hear a loud whine from the trunk. 
      Opened it to find that the coolant cap was venting hot coolant steam, and of course the loud and unnerving hissing-whine, from the cap.
      After a few moments it stopped. Waited till it all cooled down and slowly and carefully removed the cap. Same issue as above.
      No visible coolant in fill. I again put about 2 quarts, level hit between min-max.
      No leaks under car, coolant level hold steady.

The mix is  1 gal. Porsche coolant [bought though Pelican], and 1 gal. distilled water.
      Shaken, not stirred to mix. Let sit. Yes, nice and pink when poured.
      The coolant tank is brand new, perhaps has a thousand miles on it. Cap came with the tank. Porsche, not OEM. Put on by a reputable shop which specializes in German cars. I screwed that cap down properly, real tight.

No overflow. No leaks.  I'm loosing coolant when driving, only.
      Any ideas?

Obviously I can't drive it. Next steps is to load it on a flatbed, and drop it off at the shop.
      {Poor Boxie} 😰

Thanks, as always!

• By crwarren11
      Hi all,
      After 18yrs my convertible top has finally encountered its first issue.  After using this forum (thank you!!) to figure out how to access all of the components (top was stuck in closed position), I found the root of my issue, a bad cable.  However, as I was very carefully removing the cable from the transmission, the "clip" which is molded into the plastic cover cracked and is no longer functional (see image).  Not really surprising on an 18yr old piece of plastic.  The transmission works perfectly and I do not want to replace it, so I am looking for advice on any other ways that I can keep the cable properly engaged to the transmission.  Please let me know if anyone else has encountered this and if there are any viable solutions.  Thank you!

• By sprocket
      My 2011 Cayenne S has possible sunroof drain leaks.  I wanna remove the headliner and address the tubes.  Any instructions on taking down the headliner?  FYI,  I have cleaned out the drains in the wheel arches.  Also drained the water in the frame under the sills.  No more sloshing sound.

Thanks.

Roch
    • By ttocs
      Late 2004 Boxster Base Tiptronic with 45,000 miles
      I have racked up 15,000 miles over the last 3 years of ownership. The coolant was flushed about a year prior to purchase. I think it's time to flush the coolant. I plan to buy the Airlift tool - it's a time vs cost issue, time wins.

I know from searching that JFP has recommended to others to replace the water pump as preventative maintenance on a car this age. Fair enough. Porsche pump, clean the mating surfaces carefully and:
      1. Use gasket sealant or no sealant?

2. Should I replace the coolant reservoir even though I cannot find anything wrong with it?

I'll replace the thermostat at the same time.
      3. Should it be the 160 degree thermostat?
      3a. I notice that the car runs between 190 - 210 degrees (using Scangauge) most of the time in warm weather, so will the 160 stat be a benefit?

4. Which hoses should be replaced?

5. Anything else?

Since the start of ownership I've done mostly preventative and general maintenance with very few actual failures of any kind. With that being said, I think mileage is beginning to expose some common failures cropping up like what happened yesterday - the turn signal stalk won't hold in-place, so now I need to replace it but at least getting the 4-stalk version will give me the OBC functions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.