Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Sign in to follow this  

Coolant hose change

Description

Coolant hose change, right side bottom hose, boxster cayman gen2

Had a puddle when warm, from the drivers side front (coolant leak as discoloured the drive). 

Common problem so took the wheel off with it facing as far right as possible, then, If I recall, 7 screws to remove the plastic cover of the inner wheel arch (torxs)

Bottom of the 2 pipes were the problem on mine

The 2 ends of the pipe means you will need a big bucket to catch all the fluid,

There will be a something like a 3mm wire cir-clip that retains the hose, one at each end, make sure it is well clear or take it off all together, its easy to get back on.

then just pull the hose off and get wet.(image)

The leaking end had been bodged before so was I had to wiggle for a while, don't forget the car is on jacks so don't pull too hard.

then release the other end, I must have releases a good 3 litres of coolant out of the car.

The new hose (image) is apparently silicone based, and I read that you are not to use silicone lubricant on silicon hoses?

So you will have to decide on what to put on the hose to aid insertion.

Clean everything as much as you can, then push the new hose and put back the clips on both ends (test pull to see if well located).

With the Gen2 (might be cayman and boxster the coolant refill should be done with a full drain as per other tutorials, but to refill and bleed you have to remove the engine cover and find the 

bleed valve as per image. not in the boot as gen1( as I understand)

Check for leaks

hose 120.png

hose 020.jpg

hose 220.png

bleed.png

• Similar Content

• By ttocs
      Late 2004 Boxster Base Tiptronic with 45,000 miles
      I have racked up 15,000 miles over the last 3 years of ownership. The coolant was flushed about a year prior to purchase. I think it's time to flush the coolant. I plan to buy the Airlift tool - it's a time vs cost issue, time wins.

I know from searching that JFP has recommended to others to replace the water pump as preventative maintenance on a car this age. Fair enough. Porsche pump, clean the mating surfaces carefully and:
      1. Use gasket sealant or no sealant?

2. Should I replace the coolant reservoir even though I cannot find anything wrong with it?

I'll replace the thermostat at the same time.
      3. Should it be the 160 degree thermostat?
      3a. I notice that the car runs between 190 - 210 degrees (using Scangauge) most of the time in warm weather, so will the 160 stat be a benefit?

4. Which hoses should be replaced?

5. Anything else?

Since the start of ownership I've done mostly preventative and general maintenance with very few actual failures of any kind. With that being said, I think mileage is beginning to expose some common failures cropping up like what happened yesterday - the turn signal stalk won't hold in-place, so now I need to replace it but at least getting the 4-stalk version will give me the OBC functions.

• By ShadetreeMech
      Turbo/Turbo S (maybe even GTS) thermostats are not the typical looking reverse poppet design I've come to know an love (hate?) over the years. The "standard" design is pretty obvious - a hole opens up in the middle against the flow of water. 

On the Turbo/Turbo S it seems to be a balanced sleeve (am I correct?), which allows pressurized coolant to circulate around all of its moving parts. Sounds great, but I don't understand how it restricts the flow. Upon 1st impression it would seem to me coolant can pass right through it unrestricted, regardless of the position of the internals. I do realize the water pump sits in front of the thermostat and that the inlet(s) coming from the engine and the outlet tubes exit out just over the water pump both are both behind the thermostat. This must have something to do with it but in my mind, having both inlet and the outlet on the other side of the thermostat means the water pump isn't doing anything but churning coolant. See diagram on page 89 of this parts diagram: https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_9PA1_KATALOG.pdf

Does somebody know how this all works? Your knowledge is appreciated!

• By shonuff
      The common coolant pipe issue seems to only affect the V8 Cayenne's. I'm wondering if my coolant leak is a common problem too. I've been losing coolant on my 3.6 V6 Cayenne at a fairly slow rate compared to the other more common issue. I'm having to top it off about once every month or two. Last weekend I was changing the oil and started investigating the leak. It looks to be coming from a black plastic coolant hose fitting on the back of the engine, passenger side.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm wondering if there is just a bad o-ring behind that fitting or if the whole part needs to be replaced. And if anyone knows the part number for this I would greatly appreciate that too!

Thanks

• By Alan Huey
      I recently had to replace the water pump on my 2001 Boxster.  This all went fine, however, the red light to the right of the temperature gauge is blinking at 1 Hz.  I've read this indicates low coolant level.  I followed the factory procedure to bleed the system and it is filled to the max, but the light still blinks.  Also, the gauge is flatlined to the left.  I replaced the temperature sensor near the #4 cylinder head without improvement, and the wires "look" ok.  All the fuses are good.  Does anyone know the procedure to troubleshoot this wiring?  Or the pin and socket numbers for the wiring diagram?  The temperature gauge worked fine before the water pump blew up.  I did recover most of the impeller, but a few small pieces are in there.
    • By Octane4evr
      When I went out to the garage this morning I saw a puddle in front of the left front wheel. I thought I had a bad radiator but when I got in and took a look it appears that the leak is coming at the connection between the breather tube and the radiator, check out the picture. So, my question is this; is this a bad radiator or a bad breather hose?

Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.