Here is something that I think will help many here.
One of the maintenance tasks I did was replacing coils and plugs. Easy enough.
After replacing the parts, and while tightening the eTorx ignition coil bolts (aluminum), I was not careful and snapped bolt on cylinder 3. BTW, its 3ft/lbs +90˚ (but with SMALL wrench, not 3/8)
Since coils sit there pretty well, I left it as is until I got the bolt and had time to remove/replace (I do have some tips for removing the snapped part of the bolt - really easy actually - will post in another thread).
Anyways, today was the day.
I removed the covers, exposed wires, removed all bolts, then pulled on the ignition coil #3. Would not budge initially.
Applied more force, and started wiggling. Eventually coil started moving and popped up.
To my surprise, only the coil came up, the rubber boot got stuck on the ceramic part of spark plug. It is not coming out.
Used needle nose pliers to lift it. Nope.
Used a 90K sharp tool to poke hole in boot to lift - Nope as well.
Contemplated torching. Good thing did not do this one..lol.
Then, thought, why not think like a spark plug? What if a rubber boot got stuck on me? How would it get stuck on me? What would cause that?
Once stuck, what would work if I was in a tight space?
Then it hit me. Need something to lubricate the rubber to help ease rubber off the plug.
To put the lube between plug and boot, I would need something to separate them.
So while looking in my junk drawer of tool box, found a used metal band clamp, with a thin long end.
Perfect to slide into the plug hole, right next to the plug ceramic, and try separate the rubber.
Took the band out, flattened out and with a little lube, managed to separate one area, removed, inserted again just a bit over to one side, so I can separate another bit.
Continued for a little until I thought I have decent amount of rubber separated and lubed (thought about 75% around the circle).
Grabbed my small and long needle nose pliers, pulled on the rubber, and the whole thing came up without any effort at all.
Total job after I got the idea - about 5 minutes.
Before that, I watched videos, and many showed all kinds of fancy bits/sockets, made tools, to try budge the rubber. Typical job about 3 hours.
I am sure glad I thought of this and want to pass on to others, so they don't waste 3 hours of their life, trying to move a small piece of black rubber out of a small hole.
Good luck and let me know what you think or if you have additional comments.