Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Smogging A Boxster

Hello All!

My '04 Boxster is coming up for it's first Smog Check for DMV Renewal. Now being somewhat mechanical, I am aware that the Tech has to check the timing and

such on my other vehicles when Testing. However with the Boxster there is no checking under the hood for that. So, what can I expect when I pull up the the

Smog Center?? Will they freak out, just charge more, or will it be (save for the expense of the Test), painless??

Thanks for Reading and Thanks RennTech!

• Moderators

Because I have a 1997 that I have owned for 11 years I have had 6 smog inspections.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/19983-02-boxster-s-does-not-pass-emissions/page__hl__smog__st__20

They don't check timing like in the old days on old cars. It is run on the dyno at 2 speeds with the sniffer in the exhaust. The smog machine is hooked up to your car via the OBD port. While they are waiting for the results to be printed they are supposed to do a visual inspection and check the fuel cap. I was never charged more because it is a Boxster. It is actually much quicker to smog the Boxster than my 1988 Toyota pickup.

The cheapest place you can find will be much less interested in inspecting the engine compartment and thoroughly checking everything than a place that charges top dollar, especially if it's late in the day and more people are waiting. The last thing most of these guys want to do is tie up their smog test equipment for an extra half hour while accessing the engine. Just make sure you watch what they do so they don't do something stupid. I found on the Boxster it's also a good idea to make sure they commit to the price up front instead of having them tell you it took longer and charge more after it's all done. A $30 smog check will get you the same exact CA registration sticker as a $150 smog check from the dealer

I have a question about CA somg. If I delete the secondary cats on a 2000 Boxster, will it still pass? The O2 sensor is before the secondary cats, after the primary, so that shouldn't be an issue. An exhaust shop is willing to delete the secondary cats and due a custom exhaust for $250 (not including mufflers) . I really want to do it, but still want my car to pass.

I've had mine smogged twice - at the same shop. Once he put it on the dyno - the other he did not. He has never inspected anything even though I offered to open the engine. If your car meets the emissions without the secondary cats, you are probably going to be fine - unless you have a shop that does a thorough visual and knows what to look for.

I've had mine smogged twice - at the same shop. Once he put it on the dyno - the other he did not. He has never inspected anything even though I offered to open the engine. If your car meets the emissions without the secondary cats, you are probably going to be fine - unless you have a shop that does a thorough visual and knows what to look for.

Thats good to know, so your car did pass without the secondary cats? I know my car passes with the cats, but i just want to make sure it does without it.

My car hasn't been modified. I was just trying to indicate that many smog shops don't look under the hood and most probably don't know what it is supposed to look like, even if they did look. If it isn't too much work to replace the secondaries with tubing, I'd do it, keep the parts and see what happens. Worst is that they will tell you to put it back to original. Maybe it is a thing you deal with every two years.

there are some exhaust manufacturers that claim they will pass smog in CAL with the secondaries removed. See the system sold by FabSpeed - a system I fantasize about putting on my car.

http://www.fabspeed.com/Boxster.html

Edited by 4agdtym