Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My car is now a submarine?!

My wife just told me that she felt a drop of water fall on her right foot. Well, I checked around and noticed that my carpet is completely soaked! :eek: This is on the passenger side, right at the corner where the floor starts to rise. This on the right side of the floor (towards the door). Any ideas? :help:

Thanks Loren. It looks like it may be this, but I drove around today and could not notice any more water. What was completely revealing to me was that after washing the car, the same spot was soaken wet! :cursing: I am guessing that yesterday's espisode was due to this also (although my wife did notice a drop or two on her shoe). Any idea as to how water from outside is getting into this spot? The seal around the windshield seems to be nice and tight. Please :help:

I would check all of the drains.

Is your car a coupe? If so, here is where they are located.

post-2-1156738106_thumb.jpg

I had the same problem about 3 mos ago. The seal on the passenger side door right in the front bottom corner had come loose and was allowing moisture in. Also checked and cleaned all drains at the time of repair. they seemed to be o k in my case.

Yes, my car is a Coupe. Will have a looksy around #4 & #5. Thanks!

Invariably, it is the drains in the front cowl area of trunk. They become clogged very easily, even though they appear clean. Be careful to check the alarm control unit under your drivers seat, as it can get ruined by water incursion! Mark

Now I am really confused :huh: I poured water between the battery and the microfilter and I saw the water drain right away to the floor. No clogs there. Then I poured water by the windshiled, door, mirror, etc. and nothing wet. I washed the car with pressure and again, no wet spot. I removed the cover under the dash and saw the black tube that I assumed was the drain and it was properly hooked up. Turned the AC on for a few mins and it did get wet to the touch, but no water drip. :unsure:

Yeah, this one will take a while to figure out...

Did you look for a crack in the AC box? This happened to me. Either my wife kicked it with her feet or something. The AC box is only protected by a thin piece of dense foam (that is probably more of a sound absorber) on my 99. It is held on by a couple of plastis pins/screws if I remember correctly. The crack was very small but it did leak all over the passenger floor. I fixed it with plumbers goop since i was 300 miles from home at the time. It has never leaked again.

I did remove that foam cover/silencer you speak of and that is how I was able to feel the condenser wet to the touch and see the drain tube in place. I guess I will take it off again in case my wife feels her feet wet again or I can see it while doing errands.

Drain tube is probably clogged and not draining as designed allowing water to collect and overflow. Had it happen in other cars with similar designs. Try blowing some compressed air up the tube, or remove the tube and blow down and out (probably a better idea now that I think about what you could be blowing back into the car).

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this subject up again, but I am still having issues with my car getting wet on the passenger footwell when it rains. I have attached a couple of pictures so anyone can get a better look as to what area I am talking about. The tip of the red arrows indicates the "source" of the water. It seems as if it cascades down from the tip of the arrow all the way down to the footwell, but stays just next to the doorsill (all the way back to the passenger seat). I had to replace my AC unit and the drain tube is perfectly connected and draining properly. The drain holes that Loren pointed out on the image above are also clog free. I have no idea how this water is getting there, all I know is that it happens when I drive the car in wet weather. Any ideas or suggestions (besides ripping out the carpet and driving in the rain while someone sticks his head in there?! :o

post-10928-1192915497_thumb.jpg

post-10928-1192915541_thumb.jpg

Edited by GOB

Popolou: I would agree with you, but less than 30 days ago when I had to replace my water pump, I had the local stealer adjust my windows since they made a lot of wind noise at 80mph and above. Now the same noise is at 120mph, but in both door/window seal scenarios, the problem persists. I am led to believe it has something to do with the A pillar since I have put my hand all over the place and I can definitely track that it comes from above. Notice my first image and you can see the difference (albeit slight) in the "darkness" of my rug. Light means dry (sort of), dark means drenched. You can also see the water deposit on the back of the rug (notice it all stays near the door sill). Any clue as to what is going on?? :eek: :cursing: :soapbox: :wacko:

• Moderators

Water infiltration at this spot for right hand traffic (LHD) when parked along the road - the car incline to the right - is mostly a faulty slide roof drain, if you god one, or a crack in the front windshield liquid sealing ( the black glue ). Is the windshield still the first one or a spare one ?

As far as I know and can tell, my car has the original windshield on it. Planning to take it to the dealer to see if they can trace this leak. I just do not want to spend any more money on this car and will put it up for sale very soon. How do I check the roof drain?

Edited by GOB

Well testing should be easy. If you can pull back enough of the trim, jump in and close the doors and get someone to spray the car with a hose ither at the top of the A-pillar or along the roof line and watch for the drips.

Just had a thought: isn't the windscreen washer resevior near there too and didn't they have duff hose clamps?

Regards

Pop

• 3 weeks later...

Check the WIRING holes from the front cowel in to the car. These are behind the battery and provide an entry point to the cabin.

Especially if you have an aftermarket audio/nav system with lots of wiring going to the front boot, the rubber grommits might be out of place or damaged.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
I would check all of the drains.

Is your car a coupe? If so, here is where they are located.

post-2-1156738106_thumb.jpg

Loren, there are several threads re the drain cleaing problems, and these pictures are great. I couldn't find any posts or DIY's about how to actually get to the drains except for one regarding the cab tray and access by removing the right rear wheel well cover. Are there other "how to get to" threads? I'd like to check the a/c condenser drain on my C4S coupe, but I'm not sure where to start taking stuff off. thanks, jl

Edited by judgejon

• 11 years later...
  • Admin

The front drains start in the area in front of the windshield (where the battery is) and exit in the wheel well housing.

The HVAC drain starts in the cars interior connection at the condenser and exist directly under the car.

The sunroof drains begin in the sunroof channel and exit in the wheel wells.