Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's this string?

I believe you are looking at the tension cable for the top(it normally attaches lower on top frame work) If I remember correctly there is an eylet that is attached to a screw. The velcro straps go around the round bar next to straps. The strap aids to helping the top fold correctly going down.

Edited by svansyoc

I believe you are looking at the tension cable for the top(it normally attaches lower on top frame work) If I remember correctly there is an eylet that is attached to a screw. The velcro straps go around the round bar next to straps. The strap aids to helping the top fold correctly going down.

Do you know if it is possible to fix? I can't see a string on the other side. It looks like it goes into one of the channels in the frame where it is secured with a knot or something at the end. Definitely not a screw.

The straps look like this (after I removed them from the car). A large loop that can be opened with velcro and a small closed loop. They were just sitting there on the black bar seemingly doing nothing, so I removed them for inspection. How do they guide the top?

post-32293-1221766230_thumb.jpg

Atle

this is from my '99 so yours may be slightly different but on mine it attaches at the base of the 'b' pillar. You can see it when the top is open all but a foot or so. Ignore the red arrows in pic #2 as I put them in there to help someone else w/ a different problem.

61k2pvs.jpg

4tjzs7l.jpg

this is from my '99 so yours may be slightly different but on mine it attaches at the base of the 'b' pillar. You can see it when the top is open all but a foot or so. Ignore the red arrows in pic #2 as I put them in there to help someone else w/ a different problem.

That looks like a wire . This is a string, not very different in looks that a shoe lace. Perhaps it has something to do with the head liner?

A.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read through all the instructions I've found detailing a canvas installastion and I can not find a mention of this string. This leads me to believe it is spesific to either the headliner or 03 top. But I can't find any material on either. Anyone with a 03+ top or headliner familiar with this string.. ? Right now it is stuck in the guide channel, but not sure if this is correct or not. I can only find the string on the right side.

A

Porsche uses shoelaces to hold the car together....

So it seems! :) Any idea where it belongs? Afraid my car will fall apart now that it is untied! ;)

Atle

Atle:

Your car won't fall apart, but your canvas top may not fold/unfold correctly unless you repair or replace it.

The Velcro straps were indispensable on the 986's for insuring that the top would fold correctly and that the tension cable would fall correctly into the guide channels running along each side of the top.

In 987's there is a different device holding the canvas in place, which we will call “looped strings”, one on the left side and one on the right side. If either of the "looped strings" on your 987 are sticking out from where they exit the sides of the convertible top, and are no longer under tension, you will have to replace the entire part that connects the two looped strings.

The looped strings are attached to the convertible top frame by means of one fastening screw on each side. The overall part is called a "fold placer" by Porsche and is part # 987 561 773 01. The fold placer costs about $69.00 as of March 2008. The fold placer is actually two pieces of string that are connected to each other by being crimped on to a flexible elastic band in between them, from one side of the top to the other. The failure occurs when one of the crimped connections comes apart near the center of the top, and if that is the case, you will have to replace the complete "fold placer". It runs left to right through a canvas channel and you can guide the new part with a long piece of wire, then remove the wire and attach the strings with the fastening screw on each side. You will have to partially pull apart the convertible top liner in the area near the fastening screw to get at it.

If you don’t want to spend the $69.00, in some instances it may be possible to re-attach the looped strings to the center elastic band, but you will have to devise your own method of re-fastening the string to the elastic band after you remove the elastic band from its canvas channel.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Atle:

Your car won't fall apart, but your canvas top may not fold/unfold correctly unless you repair or replace it.

The Velcro straps were indispensable on the 986's for insuring that the top would fold correctly and that the tension cable would fall correctly into the guide channels running along each side of the top.

In 987's there is a different device holding the canvas in place, which we will call “looped strings”, one on the left side and one on the right side. If either of the "looped strings" on your 987 are sticking out from where they exit the sides of the convertible top, and are no longer under tension, you will have to replace the entire part that connects the two looped strings.

The looped strings are attached to the convertible top frame by means of one fastening screw on each side. The overall part is called a "fold placer" by Porsche and is part # 987 561 773 01. The fold placer costs about $69.00 as of March 2008. The fold placer is actually two pieces of string that are connected to each other by being crimped on to a flexible elastic band in between them, from one side of the top to the other. The failure occurs when one of the crimped connections comes apart near the center of the top, and if that is the case, you will have to replace the complete "fold placer". It runs left to right through a canvas channel and you can guide the new part with a long piece of wire, then remove the wire and attach the strings with the fastening screw on each side. You will have to partially pull apart the convertible top liner in the area near the fastening screw to get at it.

If you don’t want to spend the $69.00, in some instances it may be possible to re-attach the looped strings to the center elastic band, but you will have to devise your own method of re-fastening the string to the elastic band after you remove the elastic band from its canvas channel.

Regards, Maurice.

This is a +03 986 top w/glass roof. When I bought it (used w/frame) both the velcro straps were torn of (I need to order new ones) and this string is hanging out. So either this top use both of these mechanisms or the string has a different use..

A

This is a +03 986 top w/glass roof. When I bought it (used w/frame) both the velcro straps were torn of (I need to order new ones) and this string is hanging out. So either this top use both of these mechanisms or the string has a different use..

A

A:

Since your top had the velcro straps, I would definitely replace those.

The velcro straps are just that, velcro straps. If you want to make your own, let me know and I'll give you measurements and where to install them.

If it's an '03 top, I'm not sure why the looped string would be there.

Regards, Maurice.

The velcro straps are just that, velcro straps. If you want to make your own, let me know and I'll give you measurements and where to install them.

Regards, Maurice.

I have the two straps (pictured in previous post on my desk) and I guess they ripped off pretty clean. Either that, or they have another use combined with the shoe lace.. :huh: Guess I could try to sew them on again. There is a TSB on this, right?

Atle

Regards, Maurice.

I have the two straps (pictured in previous post on my desk) and I guess they ripped off pretty clean. Either that, or they have another use combined with the shoe lace.. :huh: Guess I could try to sew them on again. There is a TSB on this, right?

Atle

Yes. Search for "fold placer", you should find it.

Regards, Maurice.