Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Add me to the list.

I took my C2S out on a road trips this Sunday; fun day towards the end of the evening as we found some good roads to let her rip. Out of one of the turns I heard a clunking noise coming out of the back of the car, pulled over thinking maybe something lose or a splash guard came off the bottom and is dragging. Found nothing. Drove for another half a mile where the noise didn't worsen but definitely wasnt healing either.

Pulled over, called a tow straight to the Porsche service center. Engine gone.

Car is 3 months or so out of warranty, the rep told me they will try to ask porsche for assistance but there is a chance they will come back negative.

I am losing my mind as the appx cost of a new engine + labour is around $22k.

I paid $60 for the car and its got less than 30k miles on it.

all thoughts and comments are appreciated. They are pulling the engine out today to diagnose it and see what was broken (to me it sounds like a broken valve or cylinder head and you can definitely hear one of the cylinders hitting all over the place...) - besides that a couple of days before I hear back from Porsche. Losing my mind over here.

:(

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. :(

It's not all uncommon for Porsche to offer 'financial assistance' if one of their cars is just out of the warranty period or if the problem is a well-known deficiency.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Good Luck!

All 2005's failed engines I have heard of were replaced (even if they were out of warranty) by Porsche. Like RFM said... I wouldn't worry.. You will get a new engine.

Lesson to be learned here... Don't ever be out of warranty with a Porsche!!!!!! Pay the money and get the warranty. You will get two years with the new engine (but only on the engine I believe..) Extend it to at least 4 years...

Ask me how I know and I will tell a very sad tale....... :angry:

All 2005's failed engines I have heard of were replaced (even if they were out of warranty) by Porsche. Like RFM said... I wouldn't worry.. You will get a new engine.

Lesson to be learned here... Don't ever be out of warranty with a Porsche!!!!!! Pay the money and get the warranty. You will get two years with the new engine (but only on the engine I believe..) Extend it to at least 4 years...

Ask me how I know and I will tell a very sad tale....... :angry:

Don't have my cheat sheet handy -- did they change over engines in '05 from the '04s?

thanks,

m

No. Not in a significant way that's for sure. And 05 (according to RFM) was supposed to be Porsches worst engine build year ever. That's why they replace the engines when they are out of warranty.. I don't think that Tekky will have a problem getting a new engine.

Wish that could be said for the m96's other victims.... :censored: :censored: :censored: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

Out of one of the turns I heard a clunking noise coming out of the back of the car, pulled over thinking maybe something lose or a splash guard came off the bottom and is dragging. Found nothing. Drove for another half a mile where the noise didn't worsen but definitely wasnt healing either.

Pulled over, called a tow straight to the Porsche service center. Engine gone.

I had the same feeling in my stomach when I read your post like the one I got last year nearly same time!! It was IMS problem with my 997 05.. it was out of warranty as well.. someone in this forum (not sure if it was Loren or someone else) told that Porsche will replace the engine free of charge and I did not believe them. But guess what? around 3 weeks after engine striping and photos sent to Germany I got the news that I will get a free brand new engine all together! Car was stopped for nearly 2 months but I was happy that all was covered free of charge and I got a brand new engine...

Someone told me that time that Porsche are generous with 05's with engine failure even if you are out of warranty! It is true.

It is unpleasant news indeed, I know exactly how you feel...

all the best mate and let us know how it goes.

Hamad

Got a call from the Porsche Techs... Intermediate Shaft is broken.

They have sent the info to Porsche (Germany) waiting to hear back on if they will provide financial assistance.

Isn't the shaft issue very common with the MY05 ? They said over-reving has caused the issue but not in the high ranges - the rep said they may or may not come back with a positive answer so I'm just praying they don't blame it on something I did.

Sam

They have sent the info to Porsche (Germany) waiting to hear back on if they will provide financial assistance.

Isn't the shaft issue very common with the MY05 ? They said over-reving has caused the issue but not in the high ranges - the rep said they may or may not come back with a positive answer so I'm just praying they don't blame it on something I did.

Sam

Sam:

Get a readout of the DME on the supposed "overreving". The DME records each time an ignition occurs in the various ranges, and it also records the operating hour during which the "overrev" occurred, in tenths of hours, along with the total operating hours of the engine.

On the early M96 engines, there are only two ranges, on your 2005, I believe there are 6 ranges.

The readout will tell you, independently of anyone else's opinion, exactly what is registered regarding the RPM's of the engine.

Regards, Maurice.

Sam

Sam:

Get a readout of the DME on the supposed "overreving". The DME records each time an ignition occurs in the various ranges, and it also records the operating hour during which the "overrev" occurred, in tenths of hours, along with the total operating hours of the engine.

On the early M96 engines, there are only two ranges, on your 2005, I believe there are 6 ranges.

The readout will tell you, independently of anyone else's opinion, exactly what is registered regarding the RPM's of the engine.

Regards, Maurice.

I was told the exact same thing with mine. It depends on the report your dealer sends to Germany but again Porsche are generous with 05 models even with overreving!

I would NOT ask for the register now, I would wait and see what Germany says first. Asking for the register might come up as if your questioning your dealers inspection and maybe they will be neutral with your case. My advise to you now is to BE NICE TO YOUR DEALER because their report is critical to getting the engine covered, if they are on your side your chances are higher. Its not over yet, Germany will get back to them with questions and the dealer will have to get back to them. In my case this process took around 1 month and then they had to ship the broken engine to Germany for 'experiment'. In my case also Germany said that they will only cover the engine if my dealer cover the labor (that's what i was told by the manger). Because the car had good service record and I was welling to pay for the pre-owned warranty even though my engine was broken they were nice to me and won me as a customer and covered labor, so I didn't pay anything except the pre-owned warranty.

Another advice: Keep a record of everything and be prepared to recruit a lawyer, just in case.. that's what I did but luckily I did not need the lawyer at the end

PM me if you want more details

All the best and keep us posted. It will be ok

Hamad

I hope so guys... I'm supposed to hear back today...

The dealer has been overly nice to me in my case and keep telling me not to stress until I hear back from Germany as well - I am keeping my fingers crossed.

If it comes back negative I'm going to try calling 800-PORSCHE myself and if that doesnt work write a letter... but the dealer is definitely on my side, they really like me

Sam

Excellent advice Hamad. Tekky, hopefully Porsche will do the right thing and replace your engine. Seems the norm for the 05's

I hope so guys... I'm supposed to hear back today...

The dealer has been overly nice to me in my case and keep telling me not to stress until I hear back from Germany as well - I am keeping my fingers crossed.

If it comes back negative I'm going to try calling 800-PORSCHE myself and if that doesnt work write a letter... but the dealer is definitely on my side, they really like me

Sam

Excellent advice Hamad. Tekky, hopefully Porsche will do the right thing and replace your engine. Seems the norm for the 05's

Sam:

Good to stay on the good side of the dealer until you have good reason to behave otherwise.

I agree with Hamad's approach. Don't ask for that printout until you are certain that Porsche is not going to do anything for you. For that matter, if you end up having to source another engine yourself, you could always get a printout from an independent who is equipped with a PIWIS, etc...

Good luck!

Regards, Maurice.

That's a good sign Sam. At least when they replace your engine you will have a freash 3.8 that is much better than your original engine plus a 2 year warranty! :D

Yep! I'm enjoying the new engine! it feels much better and the 2 years warranty is also another good thing. B)

all the best mate

H

UPDATE:

Heard back from Porsche this morning after 8 days of suspense; VERTICT: Porsche will cover the engine, parts, fluid costs for me - I have to pay labour + $100 of the engine cost which will entitle me to 2 years of warranty on the new motor.

Cost are $3500 after taxes + the initial $1100 I had to pay to get the engine dropped/inspected.

your comments are appreciated as always guys.

Sam

Tekky

Considering it was out of warranty and Porsche is in dire financial straits this may not be too bad. I would have been happy to pay $4500 instead of the $13000 I paid.

If I were you I would try to negotiate the labor costs. I can understand the labor to install the engine but not for the teardown when it blew up.....

This should be a lesson to everyone about NEVER letting your P car go out of warranty. Porsche engines are the only engines that still commonly blow up in modern cars. :o Knowing this we must take precausions B)

See if your dealer will negotiate a long term warranty in addition to the two years on the engine. Even if you don't keep the car it will increase it's value if you sell it.

Good luck and I'm sorry you have to go through this BS..

Tekky

Considering it was out of warranty and Porsche is in dire financial straits this may not be too bad. I would have been happy to pay $4500 instead of the $13000 I paid.

If I were you I would try to negotiate the labor costs. I can understand the labor to install the engine but not for the teardown when it blew up.....

This should be a lesson to everyone about NEVER letting your P car go out of warranty. Porsche engines are the only engines that still commonly blow up in modern cars. :o Knowing this we must take precausions B)

See if your dealer will negotiate a long term warranty in addition to the two years on the engine. Even if you don't keep the car it will increase it's value if you sell it.

Good luck and I'm sorry you have to go through this BS..

Tekky,

I think I should say congratulations on the new engine and two years warranty! As Philip said try to negotiate the labor charges with the dealer. As you are aware, in my case, I paid for the pre-owned warranty and they covered labor but this was the dealers choice. Try to get them to take out the charges for striping the old engine as they would've had to do it anyway to install a new engine. And you should consider the rest to be a major service charges plus payment for a 2 years warranty :D

Try your best but this is a good deal.. you will notice the difference in performance and you will have peace of mind.

Good luck

Hamad

Dear Tekky,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I can empathise completely having suffered two water cooled Porsche Carrera engine failures in the last 2 years. I just spent the last ten months removing, stripping, rebuilding/correcting and refitting a 996 engine during my free time.

To pay $60k for a four year old car with less than 30k miles and then suffer a catastrophic engine failure is unacceptable. Unfortunately most Porsche owners listen to the apologists and accept this nonsense.

You need to inform the dealer that you are aware of this model year's engine reliability issues, that other unwarrantied MY05 owners have received new engines for free (get names if possible) and that should you not receive a better offer you will be seeking legal advice.

Frankly, your dealer must be laughing all the way to the bank. They are attempting not only to avoid responsibility but actually profit from your misfortune.

Don't stand for it!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys... especially the ones who told me not to worry... I would have lots twice as much hair had it not been for your ongoing advise and support. :renntech:

I shall speak to the service manager when I go down to pick up the car late next week as they promised (which is pretty quick in my opinion). My service rep has been exceptionally nice and prompt in my case and has made me feel like I matter to them as any owner should, he even mentioned they will be covering most of my rental costs for the few weeks even though its just a BMW :unsure:

I will bring up the fact that i am not comfortable paying the initial dismount charge since it would need to take place either way as porschedr mentioned... any other suggestions or recommendations on how to bring this up with the dealer will be appreciated. I'm just relieved I'm spending $4500 instead of 23k and getting a new engine + 2 years of warranty out of it!

Sam

Question,

should I have the OPC check the clutch life while the engine is out of the car? I think it's a good time to do that as well...

Is the clutch on the C2S porsche or another brand, replacements are fairly cheap on the net...

Sachs set on ebay

I changed my clutch at the same time too. I saved on labor, so it is worth checking.

I got mine from the dealer though not online. sorry cant advice

Thanks,

Hamad

Tekky,

You can buy the OEM replacement much cheaper online but I doubt that you dealer will install parts that they don't provide. Even if they are genuine Porsche parts. You can ask them. They like to make that 50% mark up on parts for some reason :D

i would deninetly do the clutch though...

That is what I thought quote is $1000 inc. labour!

So My engine arrived last night, got a call from the dealer this morning that both my rear tie-rods are broken due to negligent towing of the car $1,268 for both tie rods now I have to go after the towing guys for that... :censored:

Sam