Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can a 2002+ dashboard be installed in a 2001 car?

• 1 month later...

Deckman, Yes. I did this in my 2000 a few years back. Very satisfying to have the glove box and the smaller drink holder. If my memory is correct you'll need different air ducting and bracing that provides space for the glove box and slightly different center vent assembly. To be on the safe side, I'd try to get all of the air ductwork from the donor car along with the bracing. With the right parts, every things bolts right in. Good luck. GA

I've just reviewed the pages in the parts catalog associated with the dash & venting and it brought back the memories..... When I was first attempting the dash upgrade, I thought I'd assemble the parts list/numbers (just like you are), buy the parts (used but some new if necessary), and install. Unfortunately, the parts catalogs I have (I have both the PET and pdf versions) do not clearly specify the ducting and bracing part numbers between the older and newer cars. Plus the thought of buying any missing items from porsche at their premium got me thinking. I finally decided to just demand all of the ducting and bracing parts along with the entire dash from the seller (less the electronics). Neither of the two sellers I was negotiating with had any issue with this (who are they going to sell ducting and a brace to?) I got what I asked for and everything bolted right in.

In the event you go the same route I did, I am attempting to list the parts by description that you should look for in the pile that you get from the seller:

In addition to the dash with glove box you'll need:

1. center dash vent/radio console - the whole assembly in the newer car is different. With the early 996 this was pretty much one piece. With the later car it is a number of pieces. There is a sub-frame, the vents are separate and install like a cartridge, there is an outer trim cover and so on. Very different from the earlier car. Try to get the whole thing (less the electronics)

2. Ventilation ducting: the following are different - the center distribution piece and the left duct (that connects the center distro to the duct piece behind the passenger side vent). If memory serves, the rest of the duct pieces are the same.

3. Dash Brace. In the earlier car, this is one big piece of aluminum that goes from one side of the car to the other (behind the dash). In the later car, it is very similar except that they cut out the section where the glove box is. I believe all of the bolt holes/attachments are the same so you could probably cut out the section yourself where the glove box is if you can't get the two newer parts.

Items you won't need: intrument cluster, buttons/switches - your existing ones will snap/install right in and you can't use the new cluster at all.

One last thought about the part numbers, I remember looking over the part numbers of the parts I got from the seller and thinking "wow, where did these numbers come from?" - a number of them were not in the catalogue at all.

Sorry I can't help with the part numbers but it just isn't that easy.

Hope this helps. GA

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've just reviewed the pages in the parts catalog associated with the dash & venting and it brought back the memories..... When I was first attempting the dash upgrade, I thought I'd assemble the parts list/numbers (just like you are), buy the parts (used but some new if necessary), and install. Unfortunately, the parts catalogs I have (I have both the PET and pdf versions) do not clearly specify the ducting and bracing part numbers between the older and newer cars. Plus the thought of buying any missing items from porsche at their premium got me thinking. I finally decided to just demand all of the ducting and bracing parts along with the entire dash from the seller (less the electronics). Neither of the two sellers I was negotiating with had any issue with this (who are they going to sell ducting and a brace to?) I got what I asked for and everything bolted right in.

In the event you go the same route I did, I am attempting to list the parts by description that you should look for in the pile that you get from the seller:

In addition to the dash with glove box you'll need:

1. center dash vent/radio console - the whole assembly in the newer car is different. With the early 996 this was pretty much one piece. With the later car it is a number of pieces. There is a sub-frame, the vents are separate and install like a cartridge, there is an outer trim cover and so on. Very different from the earlier car. Try to get the whole thing (less the electronics)

2. Ventilation ducting: the following are different - the center distribution piece and the left duct (that connects the center distro to the duct piece behind the passenger side vent). If memory serves, the rest of the duct pieces are the same.

3. Dash Brace. In the earlier car, this is one big piece of aluminum that goes from one side of the car to the other (behind the dash). In the later car, it is very similar except that they cut out the section where the glove box is. I believe all of the bolt holes/attachments are the same so you could probably cut out the section yourself where the glove box is if you can't get the two newer parts.

Items you won't need: intrument cluster, buttons/switches - your existing ones will snap/install right in and you can't use the new cluster at all.

One last thought about the part numbers, I remember looking over the part numbers of the parts I got from the seller and thinking "wow, where did these numbers come from?" - a number of them were not in the catalogue at all.

Sorry I can't help with the part numbers but it just isn't that easy.

Hope this helps. GA

Was the airbag from the new dash different? Or did the seller not provide the new airbag, and you used the existing one?

Reason that I am asking is that I have the opportunity of getting a Mk2 dash with the glovebox for my Mk1, but on the "new" dash the airbag has been activated. So I was wondering if I need it in the first place, and if I can use my existing one.

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned before, it has been a few years but I remember using my old airbag with my "new" dash. I looked through the parts catalog and it looks like there is/was no change in the airbags, (just a new rev in 03 that superseeds the old bags). GA

• Upvote 1