Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Lost all coolant in seconds

Well, after changing the ABS/PSM Module, battery, full review of the car: changed oil, filters, brake pads, coils, spark-plugs, brake discs, coolant, all the belts and water pump, yesterday it hapened the worst:

I was sitting in my car, engine running, talking to someone, and at one point i got a big cloud of steam from under the hood, then "coolant low" message.

Ok, stopped the car, got out.

Under the car was all of my newly changed coolant :)

I must be cursed or something... after all the problems I had with the BMW M6, and 5 series, i hoped, by changing the brand I will be "saved".. no such luck :huh:

Anyways, I called Porsche dealer, they came and towed the car... I believe it's the famous pipe or coolant pipes I read about here. :rolleyes:

I had my coolant pipes replaced 13 months ago due to coolant leakage. Just when I thought life was good...Bang......1 month ago my car dropped all of its coolant on the ground.

Investigation revealed that there were two plastic T-pieces in the coolant system at the back of the engine, one of which had cracked.

The cracked T-piece was replaced along with the 2nd T-piece for preventative purposes. (CPO warranty picked up the tab :thumbup: )

Dealer tells me that they are starting to see an increased number of cars with these T pieces cracking.

Looks like they will be another money spinner for them.

I am not sure if these T pieces are installed on the non turbo Cayennes. They may not be an issue for the normally aspirated.

The part numbers for the plastic T pieces are: 955 106 323 50 and 948 106 035 51.

They are identified as "water hose" in the PET manual.

Get these changed without hesitation if you happen to be doing coolant pipe surgery on your Cayenne.

I had my coolant pipes replaced 13 months ago due to coolant leakage. Just when I thought life was good...Bang......1 month ago my car dropped all of its coolant on the ground.

Investigation revealed that there were two plastic T-pieces in the coolant system at the back of the engine, one of which had cracked.

The cracked T-piece was replaced along with the 2nd T-piece for preventative purposes. (CPO warranty picked up the tab :thumbup: )

Dealer tells me that they are starting to see an increased number of cars with these T pieces cracking.

I am not sure if these T pieces are installed on the non turbo Cayennes. They may not be an issue for the normally aspirated.

The part numbers for the plastic T pieces are: 955 106 323 50 and 948 106 035 51.

Get these changed without hesitation if you happen to be doing coolant pipe surgery on your Cayenne.

I second that! My indie shop did replace both T-pipes (they are rigid plastic, not rubber hose) and the vent tubes. Here is a quick pic of the vent/breather for ID...

post-40009-1265417087_thumb.jpg

I have the individual parts for the T-pipe replacement and can take more pictures if someone wants a more visual detail.

Tim in Ft Worth

Edited by Ignited

• Moderators

The pipe in the pic. is a ventilation/breather pipe, the brittle plastic water pipes/connectors are situated on the rear of the engine (between the engine and the firewall)

The pipe in the pic. is a ventilation/breather pipe, the brittle plastic water pipes/connectors are situated on the rear of the engine (between the engine and the firewall)

I have those parts as well and can take pics of them if someone needs an ID. The shop replaced the vent/breather pipe as well as the plastic water pipes.

Tim

That job is an easy DIY parts $42

I have those parts as well and can take pics of them if someone needs an ID. The shop replaced the vent/breather pipe as well as the plastic water pipes.

Tim

Tim

Please post pics as it helps other members identify the parts.

Well still did not got the car back... the dealer ordered the parts, probably on friday i'll get the car back.

One thing I don't get though... they ordered the T shaped pipe, some other water hose, and the Coolant Cap ??? They said something about the cap being defected, that it opens at a higher temperature than normal, and this is why the pipe/pipes failed under the higher pressure.

That cap, has a sensor in or something ? or did they mean another cap ? :huh:

And why the hell my entry and drive function stoppped funcioning, it worked just fine, untill they changed the battery ?!?!

Edited by poleposition

I had this problem with my Cayenne S. It is not limited to the turbos only.

Ok, got the car back yesterday, they changed some hoses, (I will post a picture later).

Those famous pipes under the admision, are from aluminium, so no risk of failure on that part.

These were some hoses, t-shape something somewhere behind the engine... whatever, they charged 500$ (parts + labour), everything is fine now.

• 1 month later...

So now it's my turn. 2,050.00 for part and labor.

I asked about these T pieces and according the the service writer via the tech these parts are rubber and they have not yet experienced a problem with them. He continued that they are on the backside of the engine and they didn't have any info on cost to replace. (I'm not kidding) He said they would have to just look at how long it would take to "get to them" and estimate labor. He kept telling me that these parts are not plastic but rubber. Further stated that the intake manifold would not have to be replaced to access them if they needed to be replaced later.

Should I keep pressing?

Also camshaft position sensor (CPS) should be replaced. (Here's the part about this that pissed me off) They recommend an oil change because dirty oil can cause a bad signal to the sensor. I changed the oil less than 4K miles ago and kept getting the CEL with camshaft position sensor code. The diagnostic scenario described to me tells me they never checked the sensor on the PWIWS to see if it was bad or not and just assumed I was not maintaining the car properly. So I guess it's possible I'll replace the CPS and still get a CEL because the CPS was pointing to a real fault that they have overlooked.

Thoughts from others about this?

My .02 on the T-pipes is to replace them now. Don't wait. That is also the opinion of my indie garage who replaced mine and I'm glad I went with his advice. It's just good insurance.

Tim in Ft Worth

So now it's my turn. 2,050.00 for part and labor.

I asked about these T pieces and according the the service writer via the tech these parts are rubber and they have not yet experienced a problem with them. He continued that they are on the backside of the engine and they didn't have any info on cost to replace. (I'm not kidding) He said they would have to just look at how long it would take to "get to them" and estimate labor. He kept telling me that these parts are not plastic but rubber. Further stated that the intake manifold would not have to be replaced to access them if they needed to be replaced later.

Should I keep pressing?

The cracked T-piece was replaced along with the 2nd T-piece for preventative purposes. (CPO warranty picked up the tab thumbup.gif )

• 3 months later...

I just changed out my plastic coolant pipes for aluminum. Part of the kit is this plastic T into a vent hose at the back of the motor. Mine was broken and I could not find a single crack in my plastic coolant pipes.

This is a strange little T since it is plastic but connects two halves of a rubber hose with pressure crimped fittings onto steel lines. I almost replaced it with a metal one but it just did not make sense. Maybe, somehow, this little T is really the problem?!

You can see in the picture the gap in the rubber hose below the T. This is where it fits in. Notice the type of hose it is on either side of the T.

4749235478_3ba1c5060a_b_d.jpg

Edited by Streetcrawler

I just changed out my plastic coolant pipes for aluminum. Part of the kit is this platic T into a vent hose at the back of the motor. Mine was broken and I could not find a single crack in my plastic coolant pipes.

This is a strange little T since it is plastic but connects two halves of a rubber hose with pressure crimped fittings onto steel lines. I almost replaced it with a metal one but it just did bot make sense. Maybe, somehow, this little T is really the problem?!

You can see in the picture the gap in the rubber hose below the T. This is where it fits in. Notice the type of hose it is on either side of the T.

Yikes, is that a breather pipe spliced into a water pipe, or just a splice to feed cooland to the turbos??? Can anyone let us know why that (POS) plastic connector is there?

Andrew

Ignited posted a picture of the whole breather assembly in post #5 above. It's just a plastic breather hose that connects that T fitting to the valve covers. Look close at his picture and you can see the white T fitting at the end of the hose, that is the same fitting in my picture above.

Those pics kinda confused me.. I dont think that white breather pipe is the pipe causing the problem. Here are a couple quick shots of mine. I will post a better one as soon as I get the lil :censored: out.

One pic shows the plastic bracket that holds the 3 top coolant pipes at the back of the motor. Notice the right side of the bracket with the part #s on it. Just behind that area, connected to the rubber hose are the black plastic T pipes that split the hose in two.

My crack is pretty obvious in the next photo.

Thx!

post-58823-029829300 1278513911_thumb.jp

post-58823-093036700 1278513925_thumb.jp

Edited by Faceman

A few painful hours, a flashlight, post-58823-011663300 1278616933_thumb.jpa long pair of angled needle nose pliers, a knife, a small flat head, a long flat head and several busted/ scraped up knuckles and I finally got the bottom hose to the T-pipe out. The major problem I had was the hose had melted to the pipe so even with the clamp removed it wouldnt come off. So I had to slice and tear and twist and poke at it for quite a bit of time to loosen it.

As promised, here is a picture of both T's and their respective rubber hoses. My leak occured when the bottom T broke off of the hose to the left. The hose on the bottom right broke as I was removing it.

If you're going to do this yourself, be patient and persistent, and patient and patient.

Its going to be a real B*#ch to get that bottom hose back on securely.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Any trick to replacing this? I feel like I'm going to bend or break some more hosing/tubing trying to get this T-piece in between the two short runs of hose.

And just my luck, when I tried to remove the old one, it broke right at the hose, so I had to pick the rest out of the hose.

I just changed out my plastic coolant pipes for aluminum. Part of the kit is this plastic T into a vent hose at the back of the motor. Mine was broken and I could not find a single crack in my plastic coolant pipes.

This is a strange little T since it is plastic but connects two halves of a rubber hose with pressure crimped fittings onto steel lines. I almost replaced it with a metal one but it just did not make sense. Maybe, somehow, this little T is really the problem?!

Sorry. No magical tips other than to lube the fitting.

As strange as it may seem I have gotten into the habit of using the waterless hand cleaner like Purell. It lubes the hose like soap but evaporates very quickly for a snug fit. (used it years ago on a Jeep trail fix because that was all we had available and discovered that it seems to work well)

Edited by Streetcrawler