Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cold Air Intake------Then Cel

Hello Guys,

I recently installed a EVO V Flow intake on my 1999 996. Things were nice, the all of a sudden I get a CEL. Now, maybe there is no correlation with the intake, but I took it off anyway and put back the stock filter. Now, I also notice a more activating winding up sound coming from a ROUND part located in the left lower corner of the engine compartment.This is piece is about a 5 inch diameter with a 5/8 hose going into it. What is it and what does it do? What should I do now about the CEL? Should I disconnect the battery and clear the fault?

Thanks,

Harry

• Admin

The noise is the secondary air pump - used for emissions. Perfectly normal for this pump to run for a couple of minutes at startup.

Yes, you can disconnect the battery to clear the fault (but you won't know the fault then) - and make sure you have your radio code.

If it runs fine with the stock setup - then you know your problem. Either the EVO install was flawed, the parts are flawed - or it just plain won't work on your car. In the last case I have seen someone try several EVO kits and none of them would work without causing a CEL. In that case EVO gave them their money back.

Thanks Loren! I just disconnected the battery for about 15 seconds, and the CEL is still on. Is there a specific time frame that battery should be disconnected for the CEL to go out? Also, did not have to reset radio which I found surprising. Light is still on. I just replaced the starter, so now I'm thinking I may have bumped off a vaccuum line. I'm getting a small eratic idle. Smooths out a bit bit with the Air Cond though. I also cleaned the throttle body while I did the starter.

Thanks a bunch,

Harry

this may not be your issue but check to see that the bottom connection on the air pump is installed & pushed all the way in- my must not have been and it came off which caused CEL--It's difficult to see with just a casual look as it's on bottom of air pump- once i read CEL code and looked at line it was obvious- connected it and CEL gone.

this may not be your issue but check to see that the bottom connection on the air pump is installed & pushed all the way in- my must not have been and it came off which caused CEL--It's difficult to see with just a casual look as it's on bottom of air pump- once i read CEL code and looked at line it was obvious- connected it and CEL gone.

Is it a hose or a plug in connector?

Thanks

Try replacing the stock filter box and resetting the CEL or seeing if it goes away after a few cycles. If it does, perhaps there's something in your CAI setup that is causing a leak.

Thanks!.............I did go back to the stock filter set up. I hope the CEL goes away. When you say cycles, what does that mean exactly? Does this take a long while to happen?

• Admin

Drive cycles - depends on how often you start and stop the car.

The DME (per EPA rules) is making sure the problem is gone before reseting the light.

If you want it off - then use a code reader and turn it off.

BTW... if it turns on again after that - you still have fault(s).

Put K&N cold air intake on my 99 996 3.4 and no CEL. Big improvement in acceleration from about 4000rpm on up. Big difference! Money well spent in my book. The only problem is it sounds like a sports car when you floor it.

• 2 years later...