Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Seat Wiring Question...

I just got some sport seats to replace my old standard ones and the new seats have more wires than the old ones. Both seats are power recline with manual sliders. My old seats were not heated

The connectors on my old seats have three pins and look like this:

old1.jpg

old2.jpg

And the new ones have five pins and an extra plug beside the blue seat belt plug (which I haven't swapped over yet) and look like this:

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

What is this extra wiring for...heated seats perhaps? If that's what they are, then any suggestions on getting them working?

The car is a '99 986, and the seats (allegedly) came from an '03.

Thanks!

Mark

Edited by black99986

Yup, I believe they are for the heated seat,,,

5 wires on your new prong, what color are they?

Are they 1-Red 1- RE/VI 3-BR ?

Yes, those are indeed the colors. The RE/VI wire coming from the seat does not have a corresponding wire in the car side of the connector. And, although my car did not originally have heated seats, there is a 25A fuse in slot A6 of the panel, which is only supposed to be for heated seats. The smaller diameter wires in the small black square plug in the connector do seem to have mating wires on the car side.

So at this point, I know that I would have to get the seat heater switches for the console. I have not looked in the console yet to see if there is an unused connector in there for the switches, and I guess that will depend on whether Porsche put these wires in the harness regardless of the options chosen, and this I don't know.

Any assistance on getting this working would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Winnipeg so, yeah, heated seats would be a definite bonus.

Mark

Yes, those are indeed the colors. The RE/VI wire coming from the seat does not have a corresponding wire in the car side of the connector. And, although my car did not originally have heated seats, there is a 25A fuse in slot A6 of the panel, which is only supposed to be for heated seats. The smaller diameter wires in the small black square plug in the connector do seem to have mating wires on the car side.

So at this point, I know that I would have to get the seat heater switches for the console. I have not looked in the console yet to see if there is an unused connector in there for the switches, and I guess that will depend on whether Porsche put these wires in the harness regardless of the options chosen, and this I don't know.

Any assistance on getting this working would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Winnipeg so, yeah, heated seats would be a definite bonus.

Mark

Correct, the RE/VI wire comes from 25AMP A6 spot + all 3 brown are your ground,,,since there isn't a wire for that in the car side of the connector, U would need to run that wire.

Since your car wasn't equiped with heated seat, I doubt that there is an unused connector for the switches.

IMO the easiest way to do this would be ordering a OEM switch kit.

Those 5 wires we've been talking about should be on the 6 pin plug side,,,power circuit for your PW seat & heated seat.

take a look at the 8 pin side

Are there B1-YE/RE , B2-YE/BK , B3-YE/WT , B4-BR on both side of the connector ??

these are the wires feeds through the heated seat switch to the heating element.

Mark

Correct, the RE/VI wire comes from 25AMP A6 spot + all 3 brown are your ground,,,since there isn't a wire for that in the car side of the connector, U would need to run that wire.

Since your car wasn't equiped with heated seat, I doubt that there is an unused connector for the switches.

IMO the easiest way to do this would be ordering a OEM switch kit.

Those 5 wires we've been talking about should be on the 6 pin plug side,,,power circuit for your PW seat & heated seat.

take a look at the 8 pin side

Are there B1-YE/RE , B2-YE/BK , B3-YE/WT , B4-BR on both side of the connector ??

these are the wires feeds through the heated seat switch to the heating element.

Those are the colors on the seat side of the plug. On the car side the driver has 4 wires BR-WT, BR-RD, BRx2 and the passenger side has 3 wires, BR-Blue, BRx2. I pulled the oddments tray and had a good look inside the console. There are no pre-wired plugs sitting there waiting for a switch.

an extra plug beside the blue seat belt plug U've mentioned, there is empty space on the car side plug where this extra plug mates up to,,,

Isn't there ?

In that case, U would need to run a few wires , but I believe this can be done.

PIC of your car side wiring hardness plugged with the new clip would be nice,,,

Yes - that's the one with the yellow wires on the seat side that you described. It's not empty on the car side - that's the plug that I just described that has the thin brown wires - 4 on the drivers, 3 on the passenger side.

I should probably pull the seats back out, take some pics, and trace where those thin wires actually go on the car side. I can also look at getting a wire from the panel to that RE-VI wire in the seat. I'll hold off ordering switches until I know I can make this work.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me puzzle this out. I'll post back once I've had a chance to pull at least one of the seats and get some more helpful information. Thanks!

Mark

Anytime Mark.

looked at the wiring diagram,,,

Yup, those 4 wires on the car side are for your seat belt lock.

Take a closer look, they are gonna be,,,B5-BR/RE , B6-BR , B7-BR/WT ,B8-BR.

BR/RE hookes up your cluster & BR/WT connects to the aigbag control module.

These shouldn't interfear with B1~B4 yellow wires at all.

I still think there are some empty spots,,,

Edited by juniinc

Okay, so they are not connecting to the yellow wires then. Hard to see looking under an installed seat with a flashlight!

I would seem that to get things working all I need to do is hook up 12V to the RE-VI wire (Are there additional relays required, or can I run a wire from the panel to the connector and call it good?), and connect the yellow wires to a switch.

Now, about those yellow wires...do you happen to know which colors are for what? If I understand it right, there are heating elements in the back and the seat, and it is two stage (hi-lo). Also, I would think that I can cut the yellow wires at the plug and use my own wires and connector to hook them up to the switch, thus eliminating the need to get the special Porsche wiring harness connectors to make it work.

Progess! Woot!

Mark

Okay, so they are not connecting to the yellow wires then. Hard to see looking under an installed seat with a flashlight!

I would seem that to get things working all I need to do is hook up 12V to the RE-VI wire (Are there additional relays required, or can I run a wire from the panel to the connector and call it good?), and connect the yellow wires to a switch.

Now, about those yellow wires...do you happen to know which colors are for what? If I understand it right, there are heating elements in the back and the seat, and it is two stage (hi-lo). Also, I would think that I can cut the yellow wires at the plug and use my own wires and connector to hook them up to the switch, thus eliminating the need to get the special Porsche wiring harness connectors to make it work.

Progess! Woot!

Mark

Correct & there is no relay required,,,run a 12~10AWG straight from the fuse panel A6 to the connector.

It is a two stage switch system,,,

RE/VI --> CU seat heater (4 YE) --> 2 stage HI & LO switch --> back 2 CU seat heater --> back & seat heating element.

Sure, anything is possible. U can cut the wires & rig your own wiring,,,

OEM switch prong 1-YE/RE , 2-YE/BK , 4-BR , 5-YE/WT.

Or, go with a OEM switch but make up your own wiring.

There is a good thread here, might be able to help U rigging your hardness,,,,,

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/16876-driver-side-window-not-working-tried-almost-every-solution/page__hl__window%20not%20working

Edited by juniinc

Progess! Woot!

Mark

Correct & there is no relay required,,,run a 12~10AWG straight from the fuse panel A6 to the connector.

It is a two stage switch system,,,

RE/VI --> CU seat heater (4 YE) --> 2 stage HI & LO switch --> back 2 CU seat heater --> back & seat heating element.

Sure, anything is possible. U can cut the wires & rig your own wiring,,,

OEM switch prong 1-YE/RE , 2-YE/BK , 4-BR , 5-YE/WT.

Or, go with a OEM switch but make up your own wiring.

There is a good thread here, might be able to help U rigging your hardness,,,,,

http://www.renntech....20not%20working

Okay, I think there is just one more thing that I'm not understanding. There is a wire (GR/BL/RE) that connects the two switches to the bridge plug relay, BS 15. I see how and where to connect it (thanks to Mr. Vogel's excellent tutorial), but I don't get what its purpose is. Can you shed a little light on that for me?

Mark

That's excellent - thanks again for your help. All I need to do is scrounge up a few parts and connectors and I'm ready to charge ahead with this.

It's one thing to find out how to hook things up, and quite another to be able to understand exactly how a system works, and that's what I was really shooting for. Thanks to the generous, helpfull people on this board, that's what I've been able to accomplish.

If you're ever in Winnipeg, make sure you stop by for a fatty!