Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all. I have 2000 996 cabriolet. Yesterday my daughter closed the passenger door and it sounded funny. I walked around and the window was barely hitting the plastic on the convertible top, but it was enough to keep the window from sealing against the gasket. I re-shut and it closed fine. What bothers me is the window doesn't appear to drop down an 1/8 of an inch or so when you open the door like it does on the drivers side. So I'm not sure if it's an adjustment issue or if whatever mechanism is used to trigger the drop is bad/out of adjustment or something else. Any thoughts or suggestions? It's just an annoyance right now, but I'd rather solve sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

Edited by vfrpilot0

Hi all. I have 2000 996 cabriolet. Yesterday my daughter closed the passenger door and it sounded funny. I walked around and the window was barely hitting the plastic on the convertible top, but it was enough to keep the window from sealing against the gasket. I re-shut and it closed fine. What bothers me is the window doesn't appear to drop down an 1/8 of an inch or so when you open the door like it does on the drivers side. So I'm not sure if it's an adjustment issue or if whatever mechanism is used to trigger the drop is bad/out of adjustment or something else. Any thoughts or suggestions? It's just an annoyance right now, but I'd rather solve sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

If it is only on one door, AND "it" (no 1/2" drop) does not happen whether you pull on the inner OR the outer door handle, then it is most likely being caused by a faulty or failing window regulator.

The window regulator's cable assembly ends up stretching or the cable starts to fray a bit and that amount of play is sufficient to eliminate or greatly reduce the 1/2" drop needed to clear the part of the frame of the convertible top directly above the window and sometimes also not to go back up enough to make a good seal when the door is closed with the window up. That can produce wind noise at speed.

One way to help pin down the cause is to see if, after the window goes all the way up, you can press the top of the window down and get a resultant downward move of a fraction of an inch. If it's solid as a rock, it may not be the regulator. If it moves down a little, it's almost certainly the regulator.

Replacement after examination is pretty straightforward and there are a couple of DIY's floating around here, including Wayne Dempsey's recent one of one or two days ago on his Pelican Parts web site, in a post here on RennTech.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir
  • Upvote 1

Thanks,

If it is only on one door, AND "it" (no 1/2" drop) does not happen whether you pull on the inner OR the outer door handle, then it is most likely being caused by a faulty or failing window regulator.

The window regulator's cable assembly ends up stretching or the cable starts to fray a bit and that amount of play is sufficient to eliminate or greatly reduce the 1/2" drop needed to clear the part of the frame of the convertible top directly above the window and sometimes also not to go back up enough to make a good seal when the door is closed with the window up. That can produce wind noise at speed.

One way to help pin down the cause is to see if, after the window goes all the way up, you can press the top of the window down and get a resultant downward move of a fraction of an inch. If it's solid as a rock, it may not be the regulator. If it moves down a little, it's almost certainly the regulator.

Replacement after examination is pretty straightforward and there are a couple of DIY's floating around here, including Wayne Dempsey's recent one of one or two days ago on his Pelican Parts web site, in a post here on RennTech.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks. I will see if there's any play in the window first.

Regards,

Allan

Sounds like the door latch part. Here is my DIY for replacing the latch

on a 997.

http://www.renntech....134-door-latch/

If you can roll the window all the way up but it dosn't drop

when you open the door, then it is the latch.

Good luck.

Paul

Thanks for the response. I'll see if there's play first and if not I'll go after the latch. Just curious...how can you be so sure it's the latch? Also, since I've owned the car(10 months) my windows have never dropped 1/2" as described above, they drop maybe 1/4" at most. Is this due to stretched regulator cables?

Thanks,

Allan

Thanks for the response. I'll see if there's play first and if not I'll go after the latch. Just curious...how can you be so sure it's the latch? Also, since I've owned the car(10 months) my windows have never dropped 1/2" as described above, they drop maybe 1/4" at most. Is this due to stretched regulator cables?

Thanks,

Allan

Alan:

If they are dropping "1/4" at most" you may not be getting the full drop and the cables may have started to stretch.

From the Bentley manual, at page 64-2:"... When the door is opened, the window is lowered approx. 13mm (1/2 in.) to clear the door seal."

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

All,

Thank you for the responses. I played with it today and the window does drop each time the door handle is lifted, but it doesn't drop enough(approx 1/8"). I surmise that it is cable stretch on the regulator and I'll see about adjusting it one day when I have a couple hours to disassemble the door. Thanks again - it's really nice to be able to get sound advice on these things - this is my first Porsche and the little things that have popped up in the past year have all been solved via postings on this site.

• 2 years later...

Thanks Maurice! :)

Thanks Maurice! :)

Glad you found a little nugget in that description that makes sense! :eek:

Regards, Maurice.