Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Window regulator or something else....?

I 've got a 2000 boxster 2.7 went to get in it the other day and driver window did not drop when opening the door. Started it up and the window went up and down using the controller switch but the more I used it the scary sounds started like a grinding and stretching sound in the door. I tried to see if the window was going up and down at an angle but did not look like it to me ( some say this is a obvious sign of failed regulator). The window does sometimes drops really fast about four inches mid-way when operating with the window switch down and moves erratically sometimes when going up or down. I have done many searches on this forum to find info and would like to know anything I can about this before opening the door panel up or ordering a new regulator.

It's regulator time. The motor attaches to the regulator and might make noise or operate irregularly, but it wouldn't cause the window to drop suddenly. The lack of window dropping as you lift the handle is a classic failure mode. There is a plastic piece on the regulator that looks similar to a cable adjuster that breaks. On mine when the window didn't drop as the door opened, you could gently push down and the glass would go down, then when you shut the door the glass would pop back up.

I ordered my regulator from Sunset at the top of this page, took about an hour to do assuming you've ever done anything like that before. The Bently"s had great directions, I marked the location of the old one and installed the new one in exactly the same place, no adjustments required. I did get a set of panel removal tools from Harbor Freight. A set of 5 or so blue plastic pieces was about 5 bucks and made getting the panel off easy. You'll probably tear the black plastic water shield, make sure you have duck tape or something similar to seal it back up.

Right now mine is very hard to push down and will not go back up on its own. Another strange thing I noticed half the time when the door is open and I push the switch to make the window go up if it goes up all the way and I am still pushing the switch the window will start to go back down automatically :unsure:. Thought some micro switch might be going out but there sure is a lot of clunking and grinding going on when the window goes up and down. I do have a Bentley manual, doesn't look as complicated as I thought but any thoughts or suggestions I will take. I will try to look for that harbor freight tool.

It wasn"t hard, take your time. There are two small clips that plug into the inside door handle, they are tricky to get off and if you leave them unlugged you'll get to take it off again. You'll need a stubby phillips to get the plastic screws inside the door pocket. Be carefull witht he c shapes platic clip that snaps over the door grab part, it's easy to scratch.

Exact same thing happened to my 2000 Boxster couple weeks ago. I just done mine over the weekend. Not hard at all. Here's a link with some pic-

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

Pay attention to the great tips about marking the locations for the retaining nuts at the bottom of the door panel and also marking the window at the front clamp before taking it off. This will make installation pretty straight forward.

The one mistake I did was hooking up the battery and testing the window. Since i did it with the air bag still disconnected, the airbag warning light now stays on all the time and I going to need help to reset that light. So if you do want to test it before putting the door panel back make sure you connect the airbag connector too.

Not sure if I understand what you are saying. My regulator failed where the green pastic part attached. It kind of crumbled, and let slack in the sytem. If your cable came off, and you can get it back together, great. However, you'll find, instead of half-assing a repair, it's easier, and cheaper to fix it right the first time.