Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door (guard) lights not turning off

Let me explain more clearly:

in my BMW, if you keep your doors open, the interior lights on the doors will eventually switch themselves off. My newly acquired 996 doesn't do that. I kept the doors opened for cleaning and those oval red/white light on each door doesn't turn itself off at all.

I'm wondering whether this is a feature or a bug?

Edited by 318touring

Let me explain more clearly:

in my BMW, if you keep your doors open, the interior lights on the doors will eventually switch themselves off. My newly acquired 996 doesn't do that. I kept the doors opened for cleaning and those oval red/white light on each door doesn't turn itself off at all.

I'm wondering whether this is a feature or a bug?

I beleive it is normal. My 2000 C2 does the same thing.

I beleive it is normal. My 2000 C2 does the same thing.

If this is the case, will it cause the battery to go flat if the lights have been on for a couple of hours almost every day.

I'm currently working on the leather seats, bringing them back to a better condition but I will obviously need to keep the doors open for better access, better lighting etc.

• Moderators

It should help if you remove the door lights and bulbs, in first place to avoid battery problems and in second place to avoid melting door lights produced by the bulb heat.

They ware created for normal use, not for hours, the interior light idem.

It should help if you remove the door lights and bulbs, in first place to avoid battery problems and in second place to avoid melting door lights produced by the bulb heat.

They ware created for normal use, not for hours, the interior light idem.

Thanks.

I'd done this to my trusty, daily driver sub-$1000 Mazda. I didn't expect I have to do this on my P-car :rolleyes:

Edited by 318touring

I have had the doors open for 3 hours or more, cleaning/waxing the car. After, car started right up, no problems. Also, I was listening to the radio at the same time. My battery had no problem running out.

Eric

1999 C4

Good to hear that. From the service book, it seems that the battery was replaced at 2007, then replaced again just before I took delivery. So I'm hopefully fine, although I'm actually using my ghetto blaster rather than the car's stereo system.