Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch ?? Mr toolpants

• Moderators

I do this at the same time we do a brake bleed. I use the Motive.

After I have bled the left rear brake caliper I release the pressure from the Motive. First, remove the rubber cap for the clutch bleed nipple. I then crack open the clutch bleed nipple from behind and from the drivers side where the exhaust is. I use a deep socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet to crack open the bleed nipple. From my memory it is 11 mm but some cars car 9 mm. You can also use a normal box end 11 or 9 mm wrench if you have a very small one, as it is hard to swing the wrench due to the confined area. That is why I like to use a ratchet wrench.

I then remove the 1/4" drive ratchet and leave the socket on the nipple. Close the nipple with your fingers on the socket and put the drain tube on the nipple while you are under there. The nipple should be just finger tight.

Pump up the Motive and then open the nipple with your fingers. When enough fluid has come out of the tube close the nipple with your fingers and disconnect the Motive. Tighten the bleed nipple with whatever tool you are using and put the rubber cap on while you are under there.

If you are doing the brakes at the same time then you pump up the Motive and do the front calipers.

post-4-1104889317_thumb.jpg

I recently bought a '99 with <9000 miles. It has never been back to the dealer or had any other service. I just changed the oil and filter for the first time and had it analyzed, copper was high but all other elements were at or below normal range. (not on topic but just thought you might be interested) I want to change the brake and clutch fluid. My question is: what is a Motive? Is it some brand of pressure bleeder? I don't have one and was planning to make one but if one is available commercially I can justifiy the expense related to the time it will probably save. Thanks.

Joe

• Admin

Have a look at the 996 DIY here as it is the same process for a Boxster.

The Motive is a great little tool for the DIYer. It allows you to put brake fluid in the container and then put pressure in the container so that one person can bleed the brakes and clutch without the worry of getting air into the system.

power_beeder.jpg