Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where does this plug go?????

I know this sounds stupid, but I was relocating the AC control unit and radio in my MY98 to the lower storage compartment, and when I was getting ready to put everything back together, I noticed a disconnected plug near the bottom of the storage area (see pics below). Now, the dome light and the windows are not working. Seems like everthing else is O.K.

This is a bit of a problem, because the windows were partly down, and I can't get them back up. I'm going out of town tomorrow for a couple of days, and I sure would like to fix this tonight. Anyone got a clue where the other end of the plug is?

Thanks.

post-2960-1105334446_thumb.jpg

post-2960-1105334535_thumb.jpg

post-2960-1105334586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loren

Do not know about the dome light but are you saying the windows do not work at all (wont go down)?

As Loren said the 4 pin connector is normally not used so has nothing to do with your dome light/windows problem.

Yes - the windows are down about 4 inches (from putting the top down before I started), and now they won't go up or down. The dome light doesn't come on either.

So based on Loren's and your info, it was probably already disconnected and I hadn't noticed it before I started working. I didn't do the obvious and check the fuses, since the plug convinced me it was the problem by the power of it's presence . . .

Anybody got any additional diagnostic suggestions?

Thanks guys - I feel like a dope, but it's good to have a place to get help.

- Pete

battery hooked up?, battery dead?, dome light switch on? I do not believe the dome light and the windows are on the same circuit. Bad bulb in the dome light? Are the lights on the lower door panel working? I think you may have two different problems.

battery hooked up?, battery dead?, dome light switch on?  I do not believe the dome light and the windows are on the same circuit.  Bad bulb in the dome light?  Are the lights on the lower door panel working?  I think you may have two different problems.

Everything else seems fine - took it out for a spin, no noticeable symptoms other than the dome light and the windows. I don't have the lower door panel lights, but I can check the trunk light . . .

The dome light doesn't react in any position, but it did before I monkeyed around, so I should check the bulb. I think Toolpants may be onto the problem with a fuse (or fuses).

Thanks to all.

- Pete

O.K. - mystery solved.

Turns out it was a fuse after all. The fuse that was blown was C3 (I don't have the chart in front of me, but it deals with the alarm system - if I recall correctly, it was for the alarm control unit.)

Now, it's worth noting that my alarm appears to be after-market, and it was not wired correctly when I got the car (setting the alarm from the key fob did not lock the doors, it just turned the alarm on). I had to bring it in to a shop that specializes in this alarm system (Viper). They hooked everything up, but now I'm not sure that they did everything right.

I checked the fuses for the windows, and they were not blown. The alarm was still setting and unsetting from the key fob (flashing the lights and chirping), but I can't say for sure that it was locking the doors. It was indicating a violation (I think it was showing 5 fast blinks on the LED). And, the dome light was inoperative. My report that the windows were not functioning at all was inaccurate - they were not responding to the rocker switches, but I noticed that when I opened the door, they dropped an inch like normal (even though they were already part way down). When I realized this, I started checking each and every fuse one by one. I found C3 blown and replaced it, and now all is working the way it was before (including the dome light).

Anyway, all is now well for me, but the symptoms don't seem to match the problem. I'd be curious to see what happens on a vehicle with a factory-installed alarm system if fuse C3 is pulled. If the result is the same as what I got, it may be worth filing away the symptoms and the cause in your 'good-to-know' file. If it's different, I'll just note it as an anomoly for my vehicle.

Thanks for all the help!

- Pete

If you car alarm is aftermarket (sounds like it as the stock one does not chirp unless there is a problem and the led only blinks slow or fast not in any patterns) then who knows what strange interactions you are going to get.

Anyway pulling C3 does kill the dome light and the windows on my car.

If you car alarm is aftermarket (sounds like it as the stock one does not chirp unless there is a problem and the led only blinks slow or fast not in any patterns) then who knows what strange interactions you are going to get.

Anyway pulling C3 does kill the dome light and the windows on my car.

Thanks for checking it - I'll definitely note this one.