Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alarm Issues

I have a 2001 Boxster S with 68000 miles that I am having a minor issue with.  I posted info on another forum and got some great feedback but still have the issue.

Here it is.

When I disarm the alarm, I occasionally (and now more frequently) get the double beep that indicates something wrong in the alarm system.  When that happens, the passenger door does not drop down when opening.  The driver door works as expected.  I have checked all of the alarm switches that I know of and everything is closed and tight.  When driving, the dash alarm light goes on (red LED on the lock/unlock button).  Sometimes rolling down and raising the window gets the light to go out.   Sometimes opening and closing the door gets the light to go out.

It was suggested that I get the alarm system tested or purchase a Durametric to diagnose this problem.  I purchased the Durametric and tested the system.  No faults were detected. so I posted that info.  Next suggestion was to load test the battery.  It passed the load test no problem but was at about 75% charge.  I posted this and it was suggested that I use my battery tender to get the battery up to full and see if the light goes on.  I did that and when I took the car out the light was not on but within 15 minutes it came on again.

My next step is to test to see if the alternator is charging the battery.  I talked to another Porsche guy at a PCA event this weekend and he said it might be the Alarm Module under the driver seat. 

Can anyone think of anything else? 

Thanks in advance,

John

Based on the issues with the window not going down, I'd say to check the door/window switch that indicates to the car if the door is open or closed.  Sorry I don't recall off-hand the p/n, but I will look into it further and post what I find.  It sounds to me like the car doesn't know that the door is open/closed...but it thinks that the door is open which is why the alarm is beeping during arming.  A closed door would typically make the window go up; the open door would make it drop.  Is the window at the fully closed position or in the "open door" position (~1" drop)?

I would check this switch (assuming you have a left-hand drive car) "window drop down microswitch on door handle":  996-613-126-00 (#14 in the image below, ~$40 part):

window%20switch.jpg

Also, read both of these links first (at least the parts about troubleshooting the switches, relays, and fuses):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/77-BODY-Window_Regulator/77-BODY-Window_Regulator.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/76-BODY-Door_Panels/76-BODY-Door_Panels.htm

It doesn't look like the image link is working, try this:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/uploads/downloadedimages/window%20switchjpg.html

Edited by crwarren11

Based on the issues with the window not going down, I'd say to check the door/window switch that indicates to the car if the door is open or closed.  Sorry I don't recall off-hand the p/n, but I will look into it further and post what I find.  It sounds to me like the car doesn't know that the door is open/closed...but it thinks that the door is open which is why the alarm is beeping during arming.  A closed door would typically make the window go up; the open door would make it drop.  Is the window at the fully closed position or in the "open door" position (~1" drop)?

Thanks for your reply.

The window is fully closed.  I end up dropping the window manually to allow the passenger to get into the car when the top is up.

Durametric or Porsche PS2 or PIWIS will tell you exactly where the fault(s) are.

There is a lot of work (and cost) with guessing.

That is part of my problem.  I am attaching my Durametric Alarm report.  No faults at all.

post-97678-0-10161300-1442270724_thumb.j

Today's update.

It was suggested to test to see if the alternator is charging the battery.  I tested this morning and with the car off, the battery read 12.7 - 12.9 and with the car idling it read 14.2-14.4.

So the alternator and voltage regulator seems to be OK.

I have not tried the troubleshooting steps from Pelican parts.

John

• Admin

So if you got two beeps that indicates an alarm fault - that somehow fixed itself.

Intermittent faults can be difficult to track down because you have to catch them in the act.

Any chance the alarm/central locking control box (under the drivers seat on LHD cars) got wet?

If so, it needs to removed opened and inspected to see if it can be cleaned and repaired - or replaced.

So if you got two beeps that indicates an alarm fault - that somehow fixed itself.

Intermittent faults can be difficult to track down because you have to catch them in the act.

Any chance the alarm/central locking control box (under the drivers seat on LHD cars) got wet?

If so, it needs to removed opened and inspected to see if it can be cleaned and repaired - or replaced.

I have only had the car for a year (13 months).  It has actually been doing the problem since I got it but it has gotten worse over the past 13 months.

Given that, I cannot say if the Alarm control box got wet.  I assume that I need to remove the seat to check, correct?

Thanks, John

Edited by jpc763

• Admin

Sometimes you can feel the carpet with your hand. If it feels wet, damp, or rough (like carpet that got wet) then you need to remove the seat for further inspection.

ALWAYS disconnect the battery before removing a seat or you will get an airbag light fault when you disconnect the cables.

Well the carpet is bone dry.

Today the alarm light was off for my drive into work, about 20 minutes but was on for my whole drive at lunch.

One note that I realize I have not shared.

I have replaced the stereo and now get a single beep when I lock the car.

A single beep signifies an open zone - so that is likely your aftermarket radio.

If you had a CDR220 prior to replacement you will need to remove and tape the brown wire with the blue stripe.

Thanks. Could that be a contributor to my issue?

• Admin

A single beep signifies an open zone - so that is likely your aftermarket radio.

If you had a CDR220 prior to replacement you will need to remove and tape the brown wire with the blue stripe.

Yes, depending on whether the aftermarket radio is sending a signal on that wire.

Either way it is best to disconnect that wire and tape it.

Yes, depending on whether the aftermarket radio is sending a signal on that wire.

Either way it is best to disconnect that wire and tape it.

Your are talking about this wire, correct?

Brown/Blue - Common Audio Ground - Yellow Connector C " Pin 3

I need to remove that from the connector and tape it?

Thanks, John

Update - I have not done anything to the car. I was out of town.

Yesterday I had no problems at all. The light stayed off almost the whole time I drove the car.

The only time the light went on was while the passenger window was dropping. It flashed on/off a few times as the window dropped from closed to fully open.

Could a micro-switch do this without throwing a fault?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well I'm back with the same problem. We have had good weather here so the box is getting some miles.

I left work and unlocked the Box. Two beeps. So I got in, dropped the top and drove home. The alarm light was on. At a light I put the window down and back up. No change at all. I opened the passenger door and closed it and the light went off.

Just more data.

• 2 months later...

Fairly certain you have a micro-switch problem mentioned by crwarren11 above. I have the same issue but mine shows up using Durametric.

I replaced the passenger door lock assembly about 2 months ago and have not had a double beep since!